I'm thinking of plugging a Peavey practise amp (15W & 4ohm) through into a big ol' Marshall cabinet (120W & 8ohm) ta get some more volume & power out the amp, as I really like the tone, & wish i could get it powerful enough for gigs. Can't plug it straight from the amp head, so I've gotta do plug it from the headphone socket on the amp into the cabinet.
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Worth a crack? Or is it just asking for a mini electrocution or something?
wow ive gotta try that! i think ill get some one i dont like much to do it first just incase there is electric shocks
The output from the headphone socket is only enough to drive the speakers in headphones so barely audible from a cab. You should really find a cab that matches the ohms of the amp too.

EDIT: also if you did run your amp thru a cab it would be a little fuller sounding but not much louder, the amp will still be putting out max 15W no matter how many cabs you run from it.
Last edited by treagar at Feb 3, 2007,
what if you were to link them all together and add effects pedals to each amp, youd get some crazy sounds.
the 2 I use mainly are either an Epi(phone) Les Paul Standard or an Epi G-400 Xtreme (think a black SG with heavier sounding pickups & a fair of fang-like cutaways on the corners of the guitar)
Quote by treagar
The output from the headphone socket is only enough to drive the speakers in headphones so barely audible from a cab. You should really find a cab that matches the ohms of the amp too.

EDIT: also if you did run your amp thru a cab it would be a little fuller sounding but not much louder, the amp will still be putting out max 15W no matter how many cabs you run from it.

Ah. Bugger. Well that piddles on the main thinking behind it then hehe, I'll have ta work something else out then for gigs - sticking a mic wired to the PA in front of the speaker or something like that. Thanks anyways