Page 1 of 2
Think of it this way:

A scale is a set of notes, and a mode is different shapes/postions of it.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
modes are scales played on a different root note.

like a C Ionian. starts on C
but a D Dorian. starts on D.

they both have no sharps or flats.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
A mode is a specific type of scale. It means that it is derived from another scale.

There really is no meaningful difference as any scale can be considered a mode of something.

Therefore, asking "what scale/mode is this" is a ridiculous question. It should simply be, "What scale is this?"
Quote by Doodleface
modes are scales played on a different root note.
they both have no sharps or flats.

That'll suffice.

Scales = C Major

Modes = Ionian, Aeolian, Mixolydian, etc.
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
That'll suffice.

Scales = C Major

Modes = Ionian, Aeolian, Mixolydian, etc.
And how are C major and C Ionian different? And why wouldn't E Phrygian be a scale?
I was giving him an example!

C major = scale!
C Ionian = mode!

Forgive me if I said something wrong, I'm a theory noob.
Myspace Streaming Only

Quote by sTx
I was giving him an example!

C major = scale!
C Ionian = mode!

Forgive me if I said something wrong, I'm a theory noob.
They're both scales. They're both kind of modes, since "major" implies Ionian (The C major scale=C Ionian).

As Redwing has said many times, scales=modes=chords, though I don't completely agree with the chords part. Sure, chords come from the first two, but I don't think it's appropriate to consider them the same. Perhaps we will be lucky enough to hear his reasoning.
Whose reasoning mine? I only know a little bit of theroy and this talk of mode's and scales has confused me. So say I'm playing a C major and switch to lets say like E7 when im going to the E I would play a small part from the C lonian right?
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
Whose reasoning mine? I only know a little bit of theroy and this talk of mode's and scales has confused me. So say I'm playing a C major and switch to lets say like E7 when im going to the E I would play a small part from the C lonian right?
You mean you play C E7 E? Those chords aren't all in the C Ionian scale.
Quote by sTx
Think of it this way:

A scale is a set of notes, and a mode is different shapes/postions of it.

No. Scales and modes cover the entire fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
Well what would?
C Mixolydian b6, 1 2 3 4 5 b6 b7.

It's not a standard mode of the major scale. It comes from the melodic minor scale.
Quote by hellsbells1980
Where could I find a visual listing of the scales, something I can use to practice.

Thanks

I like the wholenote.com scalefinder. It is under basics.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I like the wholenote.com scalefinder. It is under basics.

Great site, and thanks for link. In addition, discusstion about the E Pentatonic Minor as example: It indicates that the red dot is the root, and if the case, why are there two red dots and would I start at this point or on the E 6th string?

Thanks again,
Quote by hellsbells1980
Great site, and thanks for link. In addition, discusstion about the E Pentatonic Minor as example: It indicates that the red dot is the root, and if the case, why are there two red dots and would I start at this point or on the E 6th string?

Thanks again,

The red dots are the same note - the root note, in this case E? - in different octaves
alright so if I go Am to Em then to C could I use notes from the Am phygian or however it's spelt to switch between the chords?

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
alright so if I go Am to Em then to C could I use notes from the Am phygian or however it's spelt to switch between the chords?
You would just call it A Phrygian. The minor is implied.

That is an acceptable scale. Not the obvious choice, but acceptable.
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
god these modes are so confusing.

It's easier if you think of modes as scales in their own right.

For instance: Lydian is the major scale with a raised 4th, so If you want to play C Lydian, just take the C major scale and sharp the fourth note. Mixolydian has a flat 7th, so C mixolydian would be C major with a lowered seventh.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
true but modes can be played over chords just like scales right? Cause they're the same thing right just played in a different form?

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by Sound_Garden_X
true but modes can be played over chords just like scales right? Cause they're the same thing right just played in a different form?

Modes are scales. Different modes are played over different chords. In fact, the chord determines the mode.
What of chords? I have one of those didn't buy it from walmart though they're pure evil, but if it's one of scales ill have to go and get it.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by zachman106
I just went to Wal Mart and got a poster.
I assume you mean that it shows scale fingerings.

Just be careful with that. I don't mean to doubt that the fingerings are correct, but to call something "The G Lydian fingering" is ridiculous. There are many ways to play the scale and even the fingering on the poster could be considered something else if the chord underneath is different (it would be B Aeolian if the chord underneath was B minor).
you guys are so diffiicult :P

Scales = set of notes
Modes = set of notes

difference = Modes are related to major scale; Scales can be hungarian, japanese and every other "set" of notes.

Modes are scales too:

Take the white keys on a piano and play these only.

Now play a C major chord (C,E,G) and play C - C on it (c,d,e,f,g,a,b,c)
This is Ionian (major)

now play a D minor chord (D,F,A) and play D - D on it (d,e,f,g,a,b,c,d)
This is Dorian.

do this for every white key triad and play the mode of the corresponding root.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Ya, the whole idea of modes is that it's emphasizing a different note, while still being in the original key.

So Dorian mode in C major would emphasize D rather than C, even though F and C are not sharp.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, of course)
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

difference = Modes are related to major scale; Scales can be hungarian, japanese and every other "set" of notes.

*bangs head on wall*

No. All scales have modes.
Quote by Xinlitik
Ya, the whole idea of modes is that it's emphasizing a different note, while still being in the original key.
The idea is that you make something else the root note while playing the same notes. In that sense, you're in key. The thing is, you consider D Dorian a D minor scale in the key of D minor, not a C major scale in the key of C major that just happens to emphasize D. If you're writing a tune in D Dorian, the key signature you be D minor, not C major.

Quote by Xinlitik
So Dorian mode in C major would emphasize D rather than C, even though F and C are not sharp.
Dorian in C major doesn't exist. You simply call it D Dorian. At that point, we don't care that it contains the same notes as C major. We care that it is D minor with a natural sixth (B).

Before anything, a mode is a new flavor of a known scale.
Well put, bangoodcharlotte.

Edit: damnit, notice the double t, bastard.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Oh, I'm not done, Resi.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
There are modes that have nothing to do with the major scale. Harmonic minor has modes. That fifth, mode, phrygian dominant, sounds quite nice actually. A mode is simply of using a known scale to form a new scale with a different root note, completely independent of the original scale.

BTW, Cmaj7 add9 would just be Cmaj9.
Holy shit this is getting ****in deep but im kinda gettin it continue this conversation.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Page 1 of 2