Ohkay, so recently I got about £1000 ish, and I have a few options as to what amp to get with it.

I'm looking to buy a half stack, for playing local shows etc. and within this price range I have a few options.

Firstly, I was thinking of a Laney GH50L as it's what my band used to record (as well as a Mesa Boogie, but that's out of my range), and the sound tech at my local studio is selling a used one for £250. I have about a week to decide, as after that he goes to America I think..

The dilemma comes in that I've always fancied the Peavey 6505, but I've heard that in England they're fairly overpriced for what they are, I'm yet to try one, and this week, I won't have the time.

So basically, is the Peavey worth the extra money that I'd be spending, or is £250 for a Laney GH50L a better deal?

I usually have a fairly heavy tone, and tune down to Drop C, and like the metalcore sort of sound, think Killswitch, AILD, Unearth etc.

Also, would I need an Overdrive or something for the Laney to get this?

Sorry if this is a lot of text, but I figured I'd give as much info as possible, cheers in advance.

At the moment, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (looking to switch out pickups if I have enough left over), a Marshall VS65R (which is crap) and a Boss ME-50 (also crap).
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

I haven't heard the Laney, but Peavey 6505's are great and I'd recommend you try them both out with an assortment of effects and guitars
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Get the Laney, honestly---that deal is a steal. (How's everyone getting so much good deals lateley )

I've heard much good things about laney, especially that model!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^^

yeap...
I'd have to go with the Laney here...
if you're thinking of because of the gain then think about Paul Gilbert's Gain and Tone...
(Paul Gilbert uses a Laney GH100L)
Anyone else?

+thanks for all the help so far guys

Anyone tried both? Own either?

Quote by ETHANEVIL

The Laney is about the right price and its a well made, reliable amp with a good sound so I'd go for it. At the end of the day, you can always just get the Laney then when you try a 6505 (and realise its awesome), you can just trade the Laney in and you'll easily get the £250 you paid for it.
engl.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ well it seems like the obvious choice.

I was cranking my engl today, with a semi-hollow guitar, and it sounded heavy as hell. and mine isn't even the most aggressive engl.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
engl.

So you'd go for an ENGL over the Laney?

Can I ask why, and which models you'd recommend? (taking into consideration my budget is for head + cab)

I think you recommended them to me a while back, but I just want to make sure.

+thanks for everyone's opinions so far, keep them coming they're much appreciated.

I can give links for my band's music if it would help.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

^ i haven't tried the gh laney, but I'd take engl over the tt and vh 100r. Those laneys are nice, very nice, but I like engl more. Though doubtless some of that is preference.

As for models, I'd take a look at the Fireball and Blackmore, most likely. The fireball has more gain and is more compressed, the Blackmore is more versatile (but I still liked its high gain tone more than the fireball, strangely).

EDIT: probably with the framus 2x12 cs cab that thomann is selling for £200. I haven't tried that exact cab, though, so it may fall apart, lol. But framus generally has a pretty good name.

You might have to go with the cheapo footswitch though. Thomann have pretty good prices on engl amps too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

EDIT: probably with the framus 2x12 cs cab that thomann is selling for £200. I haven't tried that exact cab, though, so it may fall apart, lol. But framus generally has a pretty good name.

holy crappo, im there!
^ I think it's like £197- you'd need to buy a packet of strings to get free postage. Though I've seen the cab for sale for like £215 on some UK site. I've heard one or two reports that it's a bit cheap construction-wise, but the specs sound pretty good- v30's, plywood cab (i hear poplar, but that's hearsay?), removable back panel.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So basically either:

Buy the Laney, and sell it on if I prefer the other amps.

Or pass on the Laney and go for an Engl or Peavey straight off?

Is the price even good on the head considering it's used?

Quote by ETHANEVIL

^ best bet is to try them, to be honest. a lot of it is personal preference...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
True, but I only have a week to decide on the Laney deal before he goes to America, it turns out that it's a GH100L, is that a slightly better deal?

Sorry to keep asking, I just don't want to miss out, I do still really want the Peavey though.

Does the Laney have good resale value?

Quote by ETHANEVIL

the gh series is the weapon of choice for heavier stuff me thinks!

mastodon uses em and gilbert?
Quote by godofshred
laney vh100r £600

Think thats a bit steap second hand, usually fetch about £350 used.
I had a GH100L. That thing can get heavy as hell. I think it sounds like a Marshallesque tone with more gain.
If a VC15 costs 150, buy the Laney for the win.

LANEY!
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by godofshred
laney vh100r £600
laney tt412 £400

you will thank me later..

and btw, im selling a laney halfstack if your interested..PM me..

you can normally pick up a tt cab for under £350, it's good value at that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?