Hey guys...

I was thinking of getting the Ibanez SA260FM...

have anyone tried these?
and some info too...
does the trem suck or not?

thanks though...

^^

will they be good at higher gain stuff or shred?
and I think if I'm going to buy the SA I'm going to buy a Locking Tuners too...
Im interested in the tremolo as well. Its a SAT PRO I believe. I played a 260 today and it felt great but the tremolo is the main thing Im worried about. How much of a work out can you give it? Is it just for light work?
just get the s series, not the sa.

S Series
ZR BRIDGE
-allows dive dombs to whatever you want.
-stays in tune
-does virtually any whammy bar trick you want.

SA Series
-standard bridge with whammy bar
-goes out of tune with hard whammying.
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
^^

I was thinking of using it as a Dive bomb trem if have been set up correctly...
^^ its good if its just used for dive bombs and yeah the 3 springs are needed in the back . 3 or more would keep it stable.
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Quote by sashki
I heard they've got some trem problems, but if you don't use it, you'll be fine. A lot of cheap Ibanez' have this problem.

They sound good in the clean-to-light-overdrive territory.

Don't listen to him.^

SA series don't have floating double locking trems... Check your facts before you post.

They're not for divebombs or heavy trem abuse. Check out the S series if you want to do divebombs and stuff.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mw7
Don't listen to him.^

SA series don't have floating double locking trems... Check your facts before you post.

They're not for divebombs or heavy trem abuse. Check out the S series if you want to do divebombs and stuff.

I know they don't have locking trems. Did I ever say they did? And I would not recommend the SA for divebombs, I mentioned that too.
OK so now were into full on tremolo territory. Fair enough they are built to perform the fancy stuff but I have noticed people discussing their drawbacks. The main one seems to be that drop tuning is not done easily because you have to remove the locking nut (so I read that people have a second guitar in the other tuning).
What I noticed today when playing the 260 and comparing it to some 'Floyd rose' style trems is that when I slide from E to F Power chords my fingers banged into the Nut and I couldnt do it as smoothly as the 260 (which was really smooth) .
Is this something that you get used to? Having that hunk of metal there felt so unnatural. And its high. My finger had to kind of 'hop over' the nut.
The price of the 260 is reasonable but if you go to the S then the price jumps. This is another thing to consider. There are a million guitars that could do 'everything we want and more' but unfortunately life puts its restrictions on us. Perhaps we should be looking at this as is how good the guitar is within the price range. As long as the SAT PRO isnt total rubbish then is it 'good enough' assuming we dont go out of our way to put it beyond what it was designed to do?
Quote by sashki
I know they don't have locking trems. Did I ever say they did? And I would not recommend the SA for divebombs, I mentioned that too.

You said they have trem problems. They have no problems if you use the trem lightly, like you're supposed to since it's not a floating trem.

You said its cheap like other cheap Ibanez trems. The only cheap Ibanez trems are Edge 3 because their knife edges wear out. In this case, the SA trem doesn't have knife edges so it can't wear out, just like a fender strat trem.

Anyway, to the threadstarter, even with locking tuners it will probably untune, and plus you won't have as much range as the ZR tremolo. Trust me, get the Ibanez S470 and you won't regret it, it would suit you more and be way better at doing divebombs and pull ups and it won't get out of tune.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
I've got an SAS36 and owned the previous model SA220 (I think that the right #). Anyway, I got great action w/ the SA220 (bolt on), but only okay action w/ the SAS36. The only reason I got the SAS36 was for the set neck & the SAT Pro trem (SO much better than the total POS SAT bridge). I wish I kept the SA220 and just bought a SAT PRO bridge. My point is that some of these play great and others average. This isn't my main guitar so it's not a big deal. On both guitars I got rid of the stock bridge pup. $70 well spent.

As for the trem, the SAT PRO is a big improvement, but it's not a Floyd or similar. It's no different than the regular Strat bridge. It might be okay to dive bomb w/ locking tuners, but there's a reason Satch, Vai & the rest use a locking trem. One weird thing about the SAS36 is that the bridge actually floated a little when parallel rather than rest on top of the body like a Strat or PRS (the right way). I glued wood block to the body in front of the trem block so it rests correctly. Now I can tune down/drop d w/o any problems. Using 10's I've got all 5 springs installed and it's still not hard to push down. If you're going to dive bomb a lot, I wouldn't get this guitar. Occasional dive bombs w/ locking tuners may be okay.

One last thing, while the SA line's good (great neck profile), I'm going to replace mine eventually w/ a Jackson Pro series Dinky string through. The SA's body is just too thin for me (the S line is even thinner). That may or may not be a problem for you, I just never got used to it.