i try getting on some websites and it takes 2-3 minutes to load, then it says "cannot find server, dns error" what can i do to fix this?
je suis haut
Under your ethernet connection properties do you have a dns server specified? or is it set to obtain automatically? If you know the address of your providers dns server put it in there, or if you are using a router put the routers address in their, the majority of routers forward dns requests.

Hope that helps
Fender Standard Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan JB in Bridge)
Epiphone Explorer
Marshall MG100DFX 100 watt combo
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Morely Vol Volume (vintage 1975)
Quote by dr. tchocky
Go to www.opendns.com and change some settings on your computer. It's very simple to do and works a treat.

That looks like unnecessary crap lol.
Epiphone Explorer
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Quote by bussche
Under your ethernet connection properties do you have a dns server specified? or is it set to obtain automatically? If you know the address of your providers dns server put it in there, or if you are using a router put the routers address in their, the majority of routers forward dns requests.

Hope that helps

uh...what?? how do you open the ethernet connection properties
je suis haut
Quote by reissued
uh...what?? how do you open the ethernet connection properties

goto control panel---> network connections----> then right click on "Local Area Connection"(the default name for it)

Then select internet protocol from the list(its at the bottom) and hit properties

in the bottom portion of the box that comes up is where the dns settings are.
Epiphone Explorer
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Quote by bussche
goto control panel---> network connections----> then right click on "Local Area Connection"(the default name for it)

Then select internet protocol from the list(its at the bottom) and hit properties

in the bottom portion of the box that comes up is where the dns settings are.

yea its checked for obtain dns server automatically.

now when i try to get on a website it says this

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /Error.aspx
je suis haut
Quote by bussche
That looks like unnecessary crap lol.

Well, you're wrong. That website (and thier servers) have saved quite a few people from disaster. It helps your internet connection run more efficiently, helps stop phishing and other security problems and helps correct URLs that a written in wrong. A security forum I go to (used by professionals) strongly recommends using OpenDNS.
Last edited by dr. tchocky at Feb 3, 2007,
ok i think i have some problems with my registry does anybody know how to fix this?
je suis haut
Quote by dr. tchocky
Well, you're wrong. That website (and thier servers) have saved quite a few people from disaster. It helps your internet connection run more efficiently, helps stop phishing and other security problems and helps correct URLs that a written in wrong. A security forum I go to (used by professionals) strongly recommends using OpenDNS.

How does it make it run more efficiently?

How does it stop Phishing? That's a email threat, and theres this magic thing called a pop-blocker and common sense that stop any form of it in browsing.
Epiphone Explorer
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Quote by dr. tchocky

Seems pretty pointless, unless you have the tendency to click on the "click here to claim your prize!" adds and if you can't type correctly or don't know what Google is.
Epiphone Explorer
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Quote by bussche
Seems pretty pointless, unless you have the tendency to click on the "click here to claim your prize!" adds and if you can't type correctly or don't know what Google is.

It's also an alternative, a better alternative, than using the default DNS. Obviously alternative DNS servers are needed or else this thread wouldn't exist.
"Genital Grinders," the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. Embodiment to join.
OpenDNS is not good - it's not Open in any sense, and serves adverts instead of 404s.

Use TreeWalk - same idea, but actually well implemented and not a load of bloat/adware.

Seriously, anyone recommending OpenDNS doesn't know what they are talking about.
Every inside out badger has a silver lining.
DNS server errors are with your ISP half the time.

try browsing with IP addresses, fun fun fun!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by giant_toaster
OpenDNS is not good - it's not Open in any sense, and serves adverts instead of 404s.

Use TreeWalk - same idea, but actually well implemented and not a load of bloat/adware.

Seriously, anyone recommending OpenDNS doesn't know what they are talking about.

Well, most of the community at Wilders Security forums must not know what it's talking about then, and the thing about TreeWalk is that you have to download a program not just change your DNS settings. Also OpenDNS only gives adverts on only 2% of the 404's that occur (so it can make some kind of revenue). Also, calling OpenDNS 'bloat/adware' is just silly as you don't download any software and it can't possibly bloat your system in the slightest.
"Genital Grinders," the Carcass Fan Club. P.M. Embodiment to join.