Hi ,

I have this doubt reguarding "add" chords ....are they what you play to take a key to the next octave ?

For example ..in the key of C major .... is Cadd9 what i should play if i wanna take it to the next octave ? if not ...then what should i play ?
Cadd9 is e-----X-----
B-----3-----
G-----3----- Isn't it?
D-----2-----
A-----3-----
E-----X-----
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
ok
basically
take a C major scale
C D E F G A B
C major chord is made up of the first, third, and fifth notes of the scale
C E G
the 9th note is the same as the second note, D
so Cadd9 is
C E G D
e:3
B:3
G:0
D:2
A:3
E:x
An add chord is a triad with the interval after following it...

So in the instance of maj add 9 - R, 3, 5, 9

And yes, it is in the next octave, cause that is what makes it an "add9", if it was the same octave, it would be an "add 2" (not too common, because of the 2nd included with the 3rd, it is quite dissonant)

Sus 2 is more common than add 2

Any more questions, PM me!

Lewis
Quote by brantlymurphy
e-----3-----
B-----3-----
G-----0-----
D-----2-----
A-----3-----
E-----X-----

I think this is it...

Ya thats it.

But with making it higher an octave, you would have to use barre chords. With add chords, you are just adding a note a bit higher. Sometimes it isnt even higher up, its just the second of the chord.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
These are the degrees of C Major
1. C
2. D
3. E
4. F
5. G
6. A
7. B <--- (usually you stop there)
8. C
9. D <---(but if you kept going, the ninth is a D an octave above your root C)
10. E
etc...
Scales have 1 octave Where 2=9 amd so on(we're talking about intervallic inversions here)
So you take the 1st 3rd 5th and ninth notes in the scale to make the chord. for the cadd9, the notes are c,e,g,and d
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!