how important is it to leran theory to be able to write songs??like i know some theory but im not advanced in it at all.

and also could someone please check out my thread called my first attempt at thrash in the tabs&chords forum.

Well unless you are thinking of being like Steve Vai, it isnt a great necessity. Like its good to know how chords fit together and what not. But for putting chords to words you dont need it as much. However, if you are soloing in that song, then know your theory. Its definitely good to know lots of theory.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Short answer: Yes

Harsh answer: Are you ****ing kidding me?

Long answer: Knowledge of theory is knowledge of what notes sound good together. Knowing theory, you can simply put notes together that you know will sound the way you want to rather than plunking around for hours trying to create melodies.
justin,that was easily the most inspiring,helpful peice of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.you,myfriend,own souls.

just kidding thanks though.
Quote by wetwilliamthe3r
justin,that was easily the most inspiring,helpful peice of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.you,myfriend,own souls.

just kidding thanks though.

Haha right. But that doesnt mean that you shouldnt learn it. You stil have to learn theory if you ever want to solo or make up good riffs and what not. What I said was just applying to chords and what not in a song. Cowboyup has the right answer here.

So learn theory, plain and simple. It will make your life much more easy.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I'd say having a basic understanding is a real good foundation. It helps in alot aspects. Including songwriting (in the guitar sense of it). It's really annoying when you try to jam with someone and they don't know jack about theory. Really slows things down.
Jazz theory is really fun to learn.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by Maj_Tom
It's really annoying when you try to jam with someone and they don't know jack about theory. Really slows things down.

I hate that
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
Whether you do it consciously or not, you'll only grow as a musician if you learn some theory. Even if you're just screwing around playing random chords until you discover that if you play G, D, C and Em in that order it sounds good, you've learnt something. Learning music theory speeds up the process exponentially, and lets you apply what you would have learnt much more slowly and painstakingly across the board almost immediately.
it makes anything you ever do more satisfying and enriched. learning theory really immerses you in Music, you should be asking why would someone Not learn theory.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R