i want to get a Fender Strat, but i have heard that some years are better than others.
I heard 60's were greta 70's sucked, and everything after that is worst.
This can't be right, because then Fender would have gone out of buisness by now

are the 90's good, cause that is probably one i will get

any help is appreciated

thanx, JT
There is so much free time in college.
Thus I procrastinate.
Thus I get better at Guitar.
90s and late 80s i think it is are better than the 70s ones.
But nothing can beat a pre-CBS Strat
1954-1964/early '65 are great - if I had the opertunity to own one Id take it in an instant
'65 and 70s are not so good, poorer quality after Fender was bought by CBS
80s and 90s quality picked up a bit
Now - they are great! Mines pretty much indestructable and sounds amazing
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Definately '52-64, the pre-CBS years.
But modern Fenders are quite good too (obviously not as good...)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
One consideration would be how the previous owner treated the guitar, whether it's from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. With the newer models, as in brand new at the shop, I always thought the tolerances were tighter, quality more uniform due to some automation, etc.

Poorly-treated Fenders are probably the exception so consider yourself lucky if you can get one for the price you don't mind. Otherwise, you have to be extremely picky to fuss over the typical new Fenders, even the cheaper Mexican ones.

If you're bent on a vintage one, then yea, go for it. Good Luck!

BTW, the older MIMs or Standard Strats have a puny trem block. Go with MIA or the MIM Reissues or signature models if you want the hefty trem steel block.
The fenders from 1950-1960:s are probably the best fenders ever to be made, the modern are kinda nice if you get a high end. However never get a asian one, asian strat=crap IMO
Quote by Guitarmike123
The fenders from 1950-1960:s are probably the best fenders ever to be made, the modern are kinda nice if you get a high end. However never get a asian one, asian strat=crap IMO

A lot of cheap strat copies were crap, but original fenders from Japan are quite awesome. Fender started building their own guitars in Japan in answer to the Japanese companies copying their designs.

That was a huge problem in the 70's: American builders began to care more about mass-production than quality, while in Japan, builders had enough experience to make very good copies of prized american axes, often better than the real thing for 1/5th of the price.

Then came the 80's, and CBS was selling Fender. Bill Schultz bought the company and started all over from scratch (he only bought the name and patents. The rest was taken away). So fenders continued not to suck from then on.
Quote by sashki
You do now.

Yes I do, by the way didn't Ibanez started out making quality Fender copies.
And they had to stop because the copies were almost identical to the originals but alot cheaper.