http://youtube.com/watch?v=2iLIhLv8LuY

I know this has probably been asked dozens of times, but how the hell do you get that sound?!? Is it a synthesizer or some weird effect? I've got a processor, but I've never heard anything like that.
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
I know Joe Bonamassa and Jeff Beck use their volume pot on their strats to get a violin sound. They rapidly spin the pot from 0-5 and back again.
I figured.... Damn
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
yeah thats called volume swells, it doesnt alter your tone as much and is easier to do with a volume pedal though
Dude but thats just a backing track.
But if you have a processor try:
- turning on a noise gate thats starts any sound quiet and then grows.
- turning on a subtle vibrato
- Turn your mid/contour way down, and use a neck pick up.
- using a very slight chorus may also help
- play softly, and use manual volume swells if the above is not enough.
The Only member of the "I hate people with huge sigs club." Don't PM me to join.
Be like Eric Johnson and use your bridge pickup with your tone knob rolled down, and then have a fuzz pedal on. It works, trust me. Also, maybe get a volume pedal for Jeff Beck-style swells (although he used his volume pot).
All you really need is a volume pedal to swell it up and down, but it can be enhanced with some other effects.
Set-Up
Schecter Diamond Series Omen 6 & Ovation CC24 & Ibanez GSR200
Digitech GNX3
Line 6 Spider 2 112
volume pedal, pluck the note with no volume then swell it all the way up then back down and repeat for each note.

A very cool effect is use a slapback delay (a delay pedal with a short delay dialed in) with a volume pedal, first pluck a note, swell the volume up then down, then when the delay pedal is playing back the first swelled note pluck another note and swell the volume back up and repeat while running a cool scale or something. Yngwie does this alot.
You could also use an eBow
-Fender American Series Stratocaster
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp

Rock, Jazz, Blues, and Funk
I know this is in the wrong thread but does any1 have the tabs to that video?
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Jackson DK2M(Coming Soon)
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
Digitech Rp100 Effects Pedal
yeah, an ebow works really well and it's only around $60. A fun toy to have but I can't find really any practical uses for it in my playing.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
So, what's up with people using violin bows on guitars? How does that work?

You know you're a guitar player if you think this following sentence is funny:

Gain makes everything better! Break a leg? Here, lets put some distortion on it!

Quote by amnesty777
So, what's up with people using violin bows on guitars? How does that work?

umm... you take a violin bow and run it across the strings..... 0.o?

As for violin sounds. Alot of times people use synthesizer pedals, sorry but to mimic that sound... you need to dish out some cash...
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.