Hey guys.
My mate has started listening to and watching billy sheenan and cliff burton shreddy type bass solos.
He has been playing for a couple of years and wants to know what sort of scales and things he can do just to improvise a shred metal sort of solo thing.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks!
basically, you should be able to play all seven modes of the major scale at least, in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, everywhere on the neck in open positions, without thinking about, eyes closed. start from the tonic to octave, then start at octave to tonic. do everything you do below the 12th fret, above it too. start slow and work up over a year or two to mad speeds. practice every day, chart your tempos in a practice diary. you'll get there.

good luck
billy sheehan doesnt use any particular scales. he uses the modes thats about it.

my advice is to know the notes of teh fretboard well enough to predict what your gonna play. ur shreddign will come out alot nicer.
Quote by SocKo?
billy sheehan doesnt use any particular scales. he uses the modes thats about it.

my advice is to know the notes of teh fretboard well enough to predict what your gonna play. ur shreddign will come out alot nicer.

Um, a mode is a scale, it's just a different way to play it....