I'm about to teach my friend guitar and I'm gonna cover this I think

parts of the guitar
Tabluature
How to hold a plectrum
Strumming and picking
Smells liek teen

is there anything else I should cover, thanks
Give him a few months to get a good grasp of being able to play and start teaching him Music Theory.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
ye, i agree, if u teach someone power chords before real chords they never bother learning them. Always teach proper chords first, strumming and picking them
Teach her open chords first and wait till she gets caluses. Have her play simple songs that require these chords. Have her learn chord progression (at least the basic ones, don't go into anything fancy). After that, teach her scales.

The Man Who Sold The World as perfored by Nirvana's a great example...has open chords and two scales in the song.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
am i the only one wondering what the eff a plectrum is?
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Quote by deadmansdiary

It's a platypus rectum.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
If you have to ask us what you should teach someone, you shouldn't be teaching at all.
Go slowly, and just show them the basics then they can learn some easy tabs by themselves
Teach him how to not listen or play any Nirvana songs. Teach him stuff that'll help him, not something that'll stop any potential progress.
yeah start with open chords.... e, a, and d. then you can get some form of song going. and you have the bonus of not having to listen to smells like teen spirit over and over and over.
Quote by deadmansdiary

Yes.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
'If you fall out of that tree and break your legs, don't come running to me!'
Quote by Embodiment
Teach him how to not listen or play any Nirvana songs. Teach him stuff that'll help him, not something that'll stop any potential progress.

i agree, learning simple riffs when you have just started playing guitar is no way to go.
Quote by deadmansdiary

*gasp* Nov 05

I'll give you a hint. You can use your penis as one, but it might be a little painful.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by deadmansdiary

Guitar pick.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Quote by Hells_Bell

SHH!!! You're not supposed to tell anyone!!! It's the unwritten code of UG.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

normally i would say learn all the main real chords before smells like teen spirit but because it's a girl, teach her buttsecks?
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
SHH!!! You're not supposed to tell anyone!!! It's the unwritten code of UG.

You've been here a few months, what the hell do you know about UG's unwritten codes?

...Unless... *RIPS OFF CRACKHEAD'S FACE* ~ OMFG CHUNG!
do not teach her. most girls want to learn how to play just cause it looks cool but when they see it actually requires work they're like "no i dont think im good enough cause im lazy and intend to rely on looks the rest of my life"
dont learn her Tab. learn her how to read music and notes. then she will be teached the basics of music
We may be divorced..... but we're still cousins

I came 2nd in the January 2007 Punk-0-Matic Tournament
Quote by Rankles
I frequently put capes on all my teeth and they go out fighting crime together.
Quote by wolfdyne
do not teach her. most girls want to learn how to play just cause it looks cool but when they see it actually requires work they're like "no i dont think im good enough cause im lazy and intend to rely on looks the rest of my life"

you sexist pig!
Quote by Laces Out Danny
wtfs a hickey?!