I usually love the very bright stainless steel roundwound tone with a pick (it's like you have a chorus pedal on all the time!), but on my '51 P-Bass RI, I can't help but fall in love with it's tone when strung with flatwounds.

I tune to Eb, and have a set of Fender Flatwounds that are .055 .070 .090 .105, and when tuning to Eb, the string tension is just too damn high. The G string is almost rigid... and the neck bows like it's about to shoot an arrow. I tuned it down to Bb with that same set of strings and the B was too floppy (surprise surprise), and I've settled on Db, giving a nice balanced tension.

My question is what Flatwounds would be good to buy that would give me a normal string tension at Eb?

Also, regardless of some tension, what are the pros and cons of some flatwound brands? I like Rotosounds but they are very expensive. In fact, the only flats that aren't expensive are Fenders.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
TI Jazz Flats have pretty low tension and pretty sweet tone I hear.

Yeah, but they're like $50 a set, aren't they?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i rock a set of DR flatwound heavy gauge mellow sounds.

sick.

i can get as low as A and standard sound and feels fine.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
D'Addario Chromes are what are on my Fender Jazz as of right now. I use the .45 .65 .80 .100 right now, but if you tune down you may want the heavier ones (the package color is orange as opposed to the lighter ones which come in a pink package).

I'm soon switching to Rotosound Jazz Bass flats, though, despite the price. I prefer the gauges to the D'Addarios because the Chromes' E and A strings are too light. Plus, my ivory nut is filed too big and it reduces my sustain.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
TI Jazz Flats have pretty low tension and pretty sweet tone I hear.

TI flats are like spaghetti noodles and to my ears they sound like roundwounds. I have a set that used on my bass for 3 days.....never again I'll use them. I'll stick with fender flats.
I use Rotosounds on my Washburn P-Bass. I really like the tone of Rotosounds. They also last for several months at least.
i used to use Chromes, trebley when new but the E string just died after a few days but sounded great with fingers but sounded **** when picked
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Interesting. I quite liked the sound of the Fenders when played with a pick (dead ringer for 'You're Lost, Little Girl' by the Doors), so maybe I'll try to get lighter gauge Fenders. Maybe 40's.
Quote by Cody_Grey102