I'm watching this movie on TV called Reconstruction, and I think it's a really beautiful movie, this is like the fourth or fifth time I've seen it. It's Danish I think, but it has subtitles, and it's basically about this man who has a girlfriend but falls in love with another woman. She's married (and played by the same actress as the girlfriend), but falls in love with him and they make plans to run away together. But then one day the man wakes up and finds that no one knows him, not his friends, not his family, not even the woman. It's all narrated in a story being written by the woman's husband, who's a writer. The "plot" gets really confusing, and its never really explained, but I think that that's not the point. I like the narration, the dialogue, the acting, the whole atmosphere of the shots, and the observations made by the narrator. I read an interview with the lead actor, and he said you shouldn't try to analyze the technical details, and just appreciate everything as a whole. Some people I've talked to have said this is pretentious, and that nothing can make for a plot that "doesn't make any sense". I say they're full of it. So what do you guys think about it, do you think it's pretentious, or do you agree that people get way too wrapped up in little things. If you just read this whole thing, there's a special place reserved in heaven for you.
If you read a book with a plot that makes no sense, but it's written well, would you still think it's good? IMO a film should have a good plot, otherwise it's not worth watching, and the way it is filmed is secondary, but still is very important.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
I don't really understand how a plot is a "little thing", but I agree with GiantRaven. Pretentiousness is funny.
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
I've never heard of the movie, but I don;t like it when something lacks the talent for a plot, and simply states the reason as you don't need one and it should just be appreciated for what it is.

We have formulas y'know.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
i read the whole thing, sounds like a fascinating movie. i watched a movie yesterday, forget what it was called, but it was about a midget who really had no other life outside of his obsession with train sets...and one day a childhood friend dies and he gets contacted saying that the friend left him all these trains(because he too was a collector...) so the midget goes out to the dinkiest little area in jersey because that's where the friend died (which is sort of where i live) and when he's working with these train sets he meets the oddest sorts of people which give philosophical advice and exposes the flaws society as a whole exhibits.
Quote by GiantRaven
I didn't really understand that

But overly pretentious things are hilarious

Like some modern art, and people acting like they undestand it, when realy it's crap.

Example:
Quote by Siftings
If you just read this whole thing, there's a special place reserved in heaven for you.

Quote by DUP3R
I like my women like I like my Pop-tarts : dipped in blood and covered in a gay man's feces.

This sig was too fucking big. Make it smaller next time, chief.
It would have been better if it had a decent plot, but is that enough reason to dismiss the entire film? I mean, what if Shakespeare wrote some crazy thing like Romeo and Juliet die in a plane crash or something. His writing would still be very good, it just wouldn't make much sense.

Quote by Hells_Bell
Like some modern art, and people acting like they undestand it, when realy it's crap.

Example:

That's a beautiful piece!
Last edited by Siftings at Feb 3, 2007,
Quote by Hells_Bell

Example:

It's a box

Black as my heart
what about lost in translation, hasn't got a plot either... but it's got scarlett johanson
Quote by Aidy Damage
There are countries outside of America and music other than metal

Member of The White Stripes club
Quote by GiantRaven
It's a box

Black as my heart

No, it's a square!

Brown as my stool
Quote by Kai-7
You are the greatest. Wow. CaptainWow

Bumblebee of the Mighty Autobots. PM Kankuro to join.
UG Irish Clan - Póg mo thóin
Metals Fetishist of the"Please Sir, I want GORE" Club - UG Horror Fans and Gorehounds Unite!
Quote by Hells_Bell

Example:

Oh God, these things piss me off to no end. Scientists did an experiment where they got little children to make random pictures, and of course they were crap because children can't do anything, and they put them in an art show where people were free to comment on what they thought the artwork meant. Needless to say there full analytical views of these shitty drawings, when in fact they were simply a five year old playing with some colours.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
Oh God, these things piss me off to no end. Scientists did an experiment where they got little children to make random pictures, and of course they were crap because children can't do anything, and they put them in an art show where people were free to comment on what they thought the artwork meant. Needless to say there full analytical views of these shitty drawings, when in fact they were simply a five year old playing with some colours.

Sheer brilliance
Quote by GiantRaven
Think outside the box

Quote by Dinkydaisy

That's why I can't stand any modern art. All these abstract wannabe Andy Warhols around here.....

But I'm not pretending to understand the movie because it doesn't make any sense. I still like it though. I think admitting that is the opposite of pretentious. Right? Right?!
Quote by Hells_Bell

i think the artist wants to, lets say, break the chain of the routine and stuff, and be free and sell this crap for 5 million dollars.
Quote by GiantRaven
That sucks

Wheres the imagery?!

Don't critisize my art, if you can't understand it. I think it's a realy moving piece.
Quote by Hells_Bell
Don't critisize my art, if you can't understand it. I think it's a realy moving piece.

Fair enough

Doesn't mean we need to see it

Then my input you shall have, Siftings.

What are you asking...? Whether Camera Quality is more important than plot?
That paragraph confused me.
Quote by Hells_Bell

I'd say by this piece you feel empty inside. The colours contrast strongly, not only in appearance but in meaning, yellow is happiness, black is gloom. Perhaps you have frequent mood swings? Back to the large darkness, being young you could very possibly be feeling either empty, or that your life is just a pit, that's you're ready to fall into. It's also a circle, perhaps signifying you feel the anguish will never end. The square around the yellow shows us your restriction of happiness, was this piece done at a time of trouble? Of course, it could also be taken to mean you enjoy the boundries, and feel comfortable when in an enviroment which you know of, as opposed to the sudden and never ending darkness that is in the centre of your life. So, I would tell the artist to try and expand on his life, experiment and go outside the box.

-Matthew Arnold

No...if a lack of a real plot makes a movie totally worthless, or if it can still be good due to other ..um - redeeming factors like dialogue or atmosphere, stuff like that. I should've just gotten to the point but I like to ramble...
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I'd say by this piece you feel empty inside. The colours contrast strongly, not only in appearance but in meaning, yellow is happiness, black is gloom. Perhaps you have frequent mood swings? Back to the large darkness, being young you could very possibly be feeling either empty, or that your life is just a pit, that's you're ready to fall into. It's also a circle, perhaps signifying you feel the anguish will never end. The square around the yellow shows us your restriction of happiness, was this piece done at a time of trouble? Of course, it could also be taken to mean you enjoy the boundries, and feel comfortable when in an enviroment which you know of, as opposed to the sudden and never ending darkness that is in the centre of your life. So, I would tell the artist to try and expand on his life, experiment and go outside the box.

I can only applaud that

Well done
anyone seen eternal sunshine of the spotless mind?

my dad told me it was overly pretentious and that the plot was lacking.

so i punched him in the eye and stole his shoes.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

*Puts on a berret*
Ahh, I see you have the soul of a true artist.
Quote by Hells_Bell

*Puts on a berret*
Ahh, I see you have the soul of a true artist.

Yes, that I do. My tortured mind and appreciation of the outside of the 'box' are what gives me my insight to your piece.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by chocolatguitar
anyone seen eternal sunshine of the spotless mind?

my dad told me it was overly pretentious and that the plot was lacking.

so i punched him in the eye and stole his shoes.

I vaguely remember having a mild desire to see that, but I haven't.

You know what movie really is a pretentious piece of crap...

...I Heart Huckabees
Quote by Hells_Bell

at least this is actually black unlike that box...
Quote by ToesKa
what about lost in translation, hasn't got a plot either... but it's got scarlett johanson

mmm...Scarlett Johanson
hey guy!
Quote by Will-eh
mmm...Scarlett Johanson

I found a soft-core video of her getting touched on the clitoris
Actually, most UG'ers have probably seen it.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
I figured I should bump this - to see if the night crowd has any input. Especially since someone left me hanging.....