First off yes I did a search and read through the threads, and sorry if this thread has been done before but I had a few questions.

Alright I have a little bit of money lying around around $50 and I thought it would be nice to have an amp I can carry around with me and play for the heck of it.

I heard good stuff about the Smokey amps.

And the guy at my store mentioned those Fender and Marshall mini amps.

There was also a pignose amp mentioned.

I'm not expecting sound to be great or anything but is it alright, you know enough to sound nice but not great? OR do they sound like crap?

Also which one of those would you say is better? I'm looking to just play in small areas or for a group of friends really anywhere.

I could afford a microcube or DA-5 but those are pretty expensive and I already have a nice modelling amp, however if it's really worh getting, then I would consider it.

Last I have a Fender Frontman 15G collecting dust, it's not a mini amp but it's not overly huge should I just use that for travel instead?

Oh forgot to say I like classic rock type tone, Pink Floyd, Zepppelin if that helps.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 3, 2007,
I have a Dean Markley micro-amp and it kicks ass. Great battery life and great built-in distortion. It only costs $35, definitely check it out.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
They all sound the same, TBH...crappy. Theyre just toys...novelties if you will. IMO, it really doesnt matter which one you get because to me they all sound the same.
Roland Microcubes are pretty sweet, but they're not really small like those Fender and Marshall
ones.
<Han> I love Hitler
^ Yeah see MicroCubes are AWESOME! lol But I wouldnt consider that a 'mini-Amp' like the ones hes looking at.

Great...now I want a MicroCube.
Lol I want a micro cube too but since I already have a nice ad30vt and decent setup at home, i'd rather save the extra cash and spend like 35 bucks on something small.

These are mostly for messing around with when I don't want to drag gear everywhere.

Like I said I do have a Frontman 15G which I use when I go around so I may replace it with a microcube but both aren't always easy to walk around with.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

I have a Marshall mini amp I'd sell you if you wanted. PM'ed you about it.

But yeah, it sounds better than I expected and despite the fact that it's only 1 watt, it gets fairly loud on the OD channel. But they're not anything special -they don't sound fantastic. They're fine for when you're just messing around though IMO.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Well i've pretty much decided on Smokey's at the moment seeing their price is significantly less than most mini amps. Any one own or have experiance with on of these? I heard they're also OD/Fuzz pedals hows that?

OH sorry for double post but I was wondering if there was a difference in the Smokey amps. Are the cigarette box ones the same as the plastic ones? And there is a Supro version...

I've seen the Fender AmpCan at a local store once. I think it was like 50 bucks or something. It was kinda big I guess. Would give you more bang for your buck.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
About the Smokey's all I hear is them distorted can I play clean on a Smokey amp?

Not loud enough for you to hear.
Sure you can play it clean, but mostly you hear it square waved.
Which really, sounds like the gain is on 70.
The speaker on a smokey breaks up a lot...they have a cool overdrive, but not much else.

I've tried all of the micro amps mentioned here (except the pignose) and I must say, the Marshall MS-2 was my personal favorite. I had it on 10 all the time. It sounded better than the amp I had at home! It sounds pretty good and is awfully loud for something of its size.

The fender mini amp I did not like. It sounded dull and boring, and broke up an awful lot.

I now have a Dean Markeley, which is alright, but farts a bit....

So Marshall MS-2 gets my vote