Page 1 of 4
ok, so both models [PRS custom 22] and the lp custom range in the same price area. what to get? [in the far future]
I'd take the gibson les paul custom...I don't like PRS's too much.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
PRS definatly. I'm not into Gibson neither. They might have been the very first. But for the love of god who would give Billie Joe Armstrong a signature guitar ? xD
Quote by Arlabester

are you serious? PRS.

Maybe it was the guitar, who knows. I just have a bad impression of them.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
prs are overpriced......you get what you pay for with the lp
I play guitar =]
PRS all the way. Better electronics and better wood.
My Gear:
Godin BG V and BG IV
GK 1001RB w/ 4x10 RBH
Palatino Upright
Ibanez Talman Artcore
Godin LG
Washburn Acoustic
Godin Classical
Traynor YCV80

Les Pauls are overpriced too.

With that said, I'd go for the Les Paul over the PRS.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
IM straight outta Maryland, i gotta go with PRS, or im a traitor. For those that do not know, the plant they make the guitars is in Stevensville, MD.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by pizzabox

Yeah right. I'm not going to go through this argument again.

Get the PRS, they're unmatched compared to any Gibson. Let's face it, PRS has higher quality of what they define as acceptable to ship out the factory than Gibson.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
By the way, does anybody care to explain to me how PRS is overpriced compared to Gibson?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Maybe we need a point-by-point comparison.
Quote by Skar
Maybe we need a point-by-point comparison.

I'd be willing to do one.
definitely. PRS uses better wood. Gibson will not get away from maple and well, maple. PRS uses rosewood from the rainforest, oak, pine, maple, mahogany, cedar, redwood, EVERYTHING!! PLus, their custom shop is amazing. Therefore, PRS>>>>>>>GIbson
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:

Pedals :
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by AlGeeEater
I'd be willing to do one.

For the sake of the threadstarter, I think we'd all appreciate one.
Please, we would like to settle the dispute over Gibson and PRS. Just make one.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:

Pedals :
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by gtdude114
definitely. PRS uses better wood. Gibson will not get away from maple and well, maple. PRS uses rosewood from the rainforest, oak, pine, maple, mahogany, cedar, redwood, EVERYTHING!! PLus, their custom shop is amazing. Therefore, PRS>>>>>>>GIbson

Pine?! Since when do PRS use pine? It's one of the worse tone woods known to man.

I'd buy the PRS. Play them both.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
OK maybe I was getting carried away, but you get the idea
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:

Pedals :
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by gtdude114
OK maybe I was getting carried away, but you get the idea

Yeah, you did. If they used pine, they wouldn't be so well-famed.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by pizzabox

They're both overpriced. And what you think you dont get what you pay for with PRS?!?!?!?!? You get what you pay for and then some if you ask me.

PRS all the way!!!
Member #20 of the Guitarists Born in 1991 Club PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Member Of The Anti - Ibanez Militia

Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...

Quote by -blaze-
anti-depressants for emo kids.

In my experience you get the same tone and feel from the average PRS as the average gibson. Only difference is that the PRS will be better setup than the gibson will be.

So its all about preference, provided you can get the shop to properly set it up for you or you can do it yourself.

As things are now, i'd probably sooner order a PRS over the internet than i would order the gibson. Thats just the way things are.
Q about tube amps:
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by †øXÍÇ͆¥
I'm not trying to look open minded, in fact I try not to be open minded.
I hate people who are overly open minded.
Quote by Arlabester
wait, far future? what? how long have you been playing?

been playing for about 4 years, but gig alot, about twice a week
Gibson Les Paul Custom price - $3,300
PRS Custom 22 w/ Maple 10 Top Flame- $3,400

Let me give you a little bit of background first.

I've played both guitars many times, and have owned both PRS guitars and Gibson guitars. The last Gibson I purchased was a 2005 Les Paul standard. Let me tell you, that was the last Gibson I will ever purchase. The quality issues of this guitar was horrile, and I could have fixed/modded the guitar but I returned it once I recieved it. Now, both companies aren't producing guitars like they use to. PRS' are still DAMN fine guitars, but they're nothing compared to the early PRS guitars.

Now, both guitars are pretty much evenly priced. When it comes down to choosing which to buy, you have to consider which you like the looks of better, the tone and the quality of the instrument.

It all really comes down to the quality of the two guitars. PRS have a higher quality control than Gibson, and you're less likely to get a dud going with PRS. Now, you're obviously paying a lot for something you're not getting with the LP Custom, because they produce almost the exact same guitar for $2,000 (LP Standard). Hell, with the LP Custom you're not even getting a figured top, or burstbucker pickups, but you're paying almost 1,400 more for what? Atleast with the PRS, you're paying for a highly figured top, unmatched quality control from a company their size, Dragon pickups (which are pretty good for stock pickups) & PRS hardware.

I don't know, not really a convincing argument but they're both very different guitars. At the end of the day though, PRS are not overpriced compared to Gibsons. Sure, they're both expensive as hell, but atleast you know what you're paying for going with PRS.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
By the way, does anybody care to explain to me how PRS is overpriced compared to Gibson?

PRS and gibson are about the same quality (ive played a lot of gibsons and ive never run across the legendary "bad" gibsons that people bitch about, except for a couple of the really low end ones. the only problem ive ever had with Gibsons is sometimes the factory set up isnt perfect, but i always set mine up myself anyway which is what everyone should do. PRS guitars are about the same quality, and they are also at the same list price, however PRS guitars arent discounted from the list price nearly as much as Gibsons are which makes them more overpriced.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Right, but what two guitars are you comparing? A Gibson Custom Shop and a PRS SE? I don't know, i'm not convinced. I'd rather pay more for a guitar that is set up properaly, than have to pay 3,400 and THEN set a guitar up. If I wanted to set up a guitar after I bought it, i'd save myself 1,400 and buy a Standard. I could also sort out the other problems with the guitar while i'm at it.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
Gibson Les Paul Custom price - $3,300
PRS Custom 22 w/ Maple 10 Top Flame- $3,400

Let me give you a little bit of background first.

I've played both guitars many times, and have owned both PRS guitars and Gibson guitars. The last Gibson I purchased was a 2005 Les Paul standard. Let me tell you, that was the last Gibson I will ever purchase. The quality issues of this guitar was horrile, and I could have fixed/modded the guitar but I returned it once I recieved it. Now, both companies aren't producing guitars like they use to. PRS' are still DAMN fine guitars, but they're nothing compared to the early PRS guitars.

Now, both guitars are pretty much evenly priced. When it comes down to choosing which to buy, you have to consider which you like the looks of better, the tone and the quality of the instrument.

It all really comes down to the quality of the two guitars. PRS have a higher quality control than Gibson, and you're less likely to get a dud going with PRS. Now, you're obviously paying a lot for something you're not getting with the LP Custom, because they produce almost the exact same guitar for $2,000 (LP Standard). Hell, with the LP Custom you're not even getting a figured top, or burstbucker pickups, but you're paying almost 1,400 more for what? Atleast with the PRS, you're paying for a highly figured top, unmatched quality control from a company their size, Dragon pickups (which are pretty good for stock pickups) & PRS hardware.

I don't know, not really a convincing argument but they're both very different guitars. At the end of the day though, PRS are not overpriced compared to Gibsons. Sure, they're both expensive as hell, but atleast you know what you're paying for going with PRS.

Chris

well algee, i live in north eastern new jersey, and the guitar centers around here have crap maintenance on their guitars, and im plnning to buy a used prs from the 80s anyway. or a used 80s gibson
Quote by Supern00b
well algee, i live in north eastern new jersey, and the guitar centers around here have crap maintenance on their guitars, and im plnning to buy a used prs from the 80s anyway. or a used 80s gibson

I know what you mean, i'd never buy from any GuitarCenter either way.

I'd personally get the PRS then, they had some AWESOME guitars back in the 80's, guitars that would blow any 80's LP out of the water.

Chris
ive never played a PRS that was set up the way i like it either, and with a PRS you will be paying 3 grand, Gibsons LP Customs you can get for about $2500 in stores.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah the last gibson i played was a flying v, the neck had burrs in it and the fretboard was actually off to one side of the neck, so i do tend to belive it when people say their quality control can be lacking
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
ive never played a PRS that was set up the way i like it either, and with a PRS you will be paying 3 grand, Gibsons LP Customs you can get for about $2500 in stores.

True, set up is a personal preference, but if you like VERY low action then the PRS is the route to go. I've never seen a new LP Custom below anything around $3,300 here, i've been working as a tech now for a few years at a shop. I guess it depends on where you are though. You can get a basic Custom 22 for about the price of a LP Custom where you are too though. But again, you're still paying more for the LP Custom, and not getting what you pay for compared to the PRS.

Chris
PRS, gibsons higher end guitars are ****ing over priced and not worth what they ask.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
hmm....but the prs body is similar to a strats body [which im stepping aside from, it sounds too tinny through my rect] but the wood is a darker mahogany. how would that sound in comparison to say a LP
I have to say PRS.

Hey, it's good to see you're back Arlabester
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Supern00b
been playing for about 4 years, but gig alot, about twice a week

okay i wont argue than. still, prs.

^yeah, maybe not for long. i just got warned for a double thread, even though i deleted the first one.
Quote by Supern00b
hmm....but the prs body is similar to a strats body [which im stepping aside from, it sounds too tinny through my rect] but the wood is a darker mahogany. how would that sound in comparison to say a LP

I was going to touch on that in my previous post, but I decided not to.

Body shape (the outline) has nothing to do with tone. The body wood, and how thick it is DOES make up your tone. The LP's will obviously have the distinct LP sound. The low end, dark mahogany paired with the bite of the maple top give it the tone. The PRS, however is a thinner guitar than the LP. The mahogany back on an LP is about 1-3/4", where the PRS' is about 1-1/2". The tops are the same thickness (1/2"). Both guitars sound about the same, the PRS will be a bit brighter, but nothing like a Strat because of the humbuckers.

Chris
Page 1 of 4