Crit for Crit of course!!

I think this is my best stuff to date. Please give me some honest crits. I will gladly recriprocate. I did the vocals in one take. The guitar parts are done and mixed seperately. I feel like my mixing/mastering skills are really getting better. Let me know what you think of my use of reverb and chorus plug ins. Thanks a lot in advance.

http://www.purevolume.com/cnorthern
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
i think the mix sounded perfect, i dont know if you've heard the acoustic live version, but it sounded qutie close to that. really love your vocal tone, sound a lot like scott. i wasnt too keen on your guitar tone however, and thought you could have mantained the rhythm a bit better, perhaps layering on top to add something different to the second verse onwards. your vocals at parts was off pitch slightly, but it is a hard song to sing, and you shown you have the vocal range to execute it. I'm sure the more you sing, the tighter your vocals shall be. Good work though, nice to see an acoustic cover of this song....7-8/10 for me
Thanks for critting mine. Your sig made me lawl. Is that a Yamaha AES in on your PV page?
Anyway, to the song: great tone! Chorus effects fit quite well, I see no prob there. Singing is perfect, way better than me at any rate!
Rock on man and thanks again!
Quote by ygokazuki
Thanks for critting mine. Your sig made me lawl. Is that a Yamaha AES in on your PV page?

No, it's my Ibanez ARC-300. I really like it. For the amount I paid, I don't think I could've found a better guitar.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

nice solid stuff you got there. very well done
"there is a man...
playing a violin...
and the strings...
are the veins in his own arm."
I haven't heard the original, but I have to say this is a pretty good song. I loved the acoustic tone and the Pearl Jamish vocals. I can only really think of one thing improve on, and that's at the end of some of the vocal lines it becomes extremely hard to hear the guitar. I'd like to hear this with some percussion, to just brighten the guitar up a bit. I'm also loving the little moaning at the end, it brings a bit more emotion into the song.

I also listened to some of your other tracks, and realise how different it is for you to do an acoustic number, so very well done mate!

Also thanks for the crit
So I never heard the original before. So I can just say that it´t play good and clean. And it sounds like you play the guitar very well. Also to mention that you have a good voice to fit this song. So good work on this one.
*No Advertising*
i liked it, some advice on ur guitar turn the volume up so u can hear it better and apply a (multiband) compressor on the guitar and vocal tracks both so than it doesnt sound like the song is in the background if u know wat i mean
Shure SM58 Mic -> Peavey Mixing Board -> M-Audio Fasttrack Pro -> Dell Laptop -> Cubase SX3
Quote by WiKiD
i liked it, some advice on ur guitar turn the volume up so u can hear it better and apply a (multiband) compressor on the guitar and vocal tracks both so than it doesnt sound like the song is in the background if u know wat i mean

Please elaborate. I don't know what that means. Is that something I can do with Cubase?

Quote by Scott3229

a built-in compressor effect can be found on pretty most professional audio editing programs

but in cubase if u have it it goes like this pick a track than go to inserts, than pick the first slot available and go dynamics -> multiband compressor. there are presets that you can scroll through, pick electric guitar for your guitar track, and repeat the same process except picking vocals for your vocal track. this will make it sound 10074x better than it did before. cheers.
Shure SM58 Mic -> Peavey Mixing Board -> M-Audio Fasttrack Pro -> Dell Laptop -> Cubase SX3
You have the pearl jammish vocals, some of the high notes are a bit flat, "and i feel it", but overall its a decent pearl jam cover!! I liked it. For one shot, not bad at all!
Work to live, not live to work.
Quote by Unborn
You have the pearl jammish vocals, some of the high notes are a bit flat, "and i feel it", but overall its a decent pearl jam cover!! I liked it. For one shot, not bad at all!

I think you mean Stone Temple Pilots

Recording sounds great, some of the singing was off, but it is a difficult song to sing. You've got a great sounding voice though, just practice some more to fix the pitch issues. Good guitar playing.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518760
Last edited by Jimmy94 at Feb 4, 2007,
haha your right, lol, i cover this song, i shoulda known

dumb me
Work to live, not live to work.
Really very good. The vocals are nearly perfect, although the timing at the end seems to be kind of off. Also, there seems to be a rest in the intro part when you should be playing a chord. Were there multiple guitars? It sounded like just one to me, so I'm not sure what you meant when you said you mixed the guitars.
good cover vocally.. you definitely have a strong voice... the notes were right on the guitar it just felt almost slow at times? i dont' know maybe i'm just used to the live version that plush does it just seems faster and more paced... good cover though i liked it
bu§ta
Quote by Jimmy94
I think you mean Stone Temple Pilots

Recording sounds great, some of the singing was off, but it is a difficult song to sing. You've got a great sounding voice though, just practice some more to fix the pitch issues. Good guitar playing.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518760

I think they meant that if pearl jam did an stp cover, this is what it would sound like
"there is a man...
playing a violin...
and the strings...
are the veins in his own arm."
Overall it sounded great. There were a few lapses in the rhythm though. Another version and it should be fantastic. Good job with the vocals, they have the same quality as Scott Weiland's do.
You've got a pretty good singing voice dude. I havent heard the original so I cant make any comparisons but I do get a Pearl Jam vibe from it. The acoustic work was good too.

Great job
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?