Poll: Would you go to a pub/bar/club asking for fingerprint scans?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you go to a pub/bar/club asking for fingerprint scans?
Yes
21 33%
No
41 65%
Voters: 63.
Page 1 of 2
Now, say you're of the legal age (as I know the majority on here aren't) and you're going to go out for the night with some mates just down to the local pub/bar/club to have a few drinks a a decent night, and now say that where you're going has requested that you supply your fingerprint to get in. Would you still go there or would you just move on to somewhere else?

Also, in relation to this, what do you think about governments wanting fingerprint and eyescan databases?

The main arguement they seem to always come up with is, 'if you've nothing to hide then you're not giving anything away', but is that really the case? Do you want this invasion of privacy?
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Bull sh*t, I would get some guy to go to the liquor store and get me my alcohol. Party at my house, and wake up with no memory of the night and a bad hangover.
About the club - yeah, but mainly because I'm too lazy to move to another club.

I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of fingerprints there. I think that if you're a criminal who have served your crime, have your fingerprints in the database and really have no plans of comitting another crime then you will be uncomfortable with this, and feel singled out by it. Almost alienated.

Since my fingerprints aren't in the database - as far as I know - I guess I say it's fine for know.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
id go somewhere else.

i think its absurd, the government is a btch.
"Yet, the council revealed last Friday that alcohol related crime in the rest of the town down had dropped by 48 per cent. Statistics had also shown that there had been a rise in domestic violence."

48 percent, whoa. That's pretty sweet, actually.
I don't like it... ] =
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
dont they let you in if have been to prison
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I wouldn't care.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
It would be financial suicide for a bar/club to do such a thing in Montreal, unless they all implemented the system at exactly the same time...

I say no.

-Jacques
Quote by <vlad>
actually id go home and smoke a blunt.

x2
hey guy!
I'm quite surprised at the amount of people that would go.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
id move on, and im highly against the idea of government biometric databases for everyone. Criminals and registered CCW permit holders sure, but certainly not everyone.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'm actually writing an essay about this entitled "The Real Big Brother" and from the research I've done on the subject I can tell you there are worse systems. For example; there is a club in a populat holiday destination called "Baja" in which entry requires handing over your credit card details and having a chip implanted into your arm to pay for drinks.

I think I'd have my fingerprint taken over a chip in my arm any day.
"The Home Office said, 'why not do it in big cities...why not places like Coventry, Hull, and Sheffield'," he said.

lol. I forgot my ID all the time. But the amount of control they will have is questionable. Saying this, if they manage to do it for like 15+ years no one will mind.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
It's invasion of privacy, there's no real need to do that to the majority of the general public, I'd move on somewhere else, but if it in happens one place, it'll eventually happen everywhere.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Ozy44
I'm actually writing an essay about this entitled "The Real Big Brother" and from the research I've done on the subject I can tell you there are worse systems. For example; there is a club in a populat holiday destination called "Baja" in which entry requires handing over your credit card details and having a chip implanted into your arm to pay for drinks.

I think I'd have my fingerprint taken over a chip in my arm any day.

That's a bit messed up. The thing is, you go to the US on holiday and they want all your credit card details, fingersprints and eye scans these days.
The world is becoming too messed up, and I really can't understand what any government is going to get from a couple of fingerprints and eye scans. Yeah, they can find out where you've been and what you've touched, if you are really who you say you are, but how are they expecting these things to help in the "war on terror"?
Apparently the UK police are going to be using fingerprint scans for drunk drivers at some point. They've developed something that can read your alcohol level from your fingerprint. Who knows what else they're not telling us!?

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
Who knows what else they're not telling us!?

I know that they're not telling you that Oyster cards enable the police to track you whereever you are. CCTV is being equipped with loudspeakers so that the authorities can tell you when you're in the wrong. Everytime you shop what you buy is monitored and they analyse your buying habits. CCTV on roads is reading number plates. Everytime you use your bank card you're registering your position on the road. For peopl e that work in offices; they know when you're working and when you're goofing off.

They're just taking the necessary baby steps to getting full control.
Quote by Ozy44
Everytime you shop what you buy is monitored and they analyse your buying habits.

yea, because if i pay with cash they're really going to be able to know its me

CCTV on roads is reading number plates.

Don't complain when a driver with a fake plate ploughs into you and you end up with little evidence because you decided taht CCTV is INvASIonOf ProvaXCy LAWL

Everytime you use your bank card you're registering your position on the road.

what, so card readers are now linked to road systems? bullshit

For people that work in offices; they know when you're working and when you're goofing off.

no, that would be your employers ensuring you were actually working, and if you read the contract, they'd have something in there saying they are obliged to do it, so if you disagree, no job for you. besides, what employer wants their workers goofing off?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by andrewbiles
Now, say you're of the legal age (as I know the majority on here aren't) and you're going to go out for the night with some mates just down to the local pub/bar/club to have a few drinks a a decent night, and now say that where you're going has requested that you supply your fingerprint to get in. Would you still go there or would you just move on to somewhere else?

Also, in relation to this, what do you think about governments wanting fingerprint and eyescan databases?

The main arguement they seem to always come up with is, 'if you've nothing to hide then you're not giving anything away', but is that really the case? Do you want this invasion of privacy?

i would burn my finger prints off
its an invasion of privacy.i wouldnt give my fingerprints to a data base either
no, that would be your employers ensuring you were actually working, and if you read the contract, they'd have something in there saying they are obliged to do it, so if you disagree, no job for you. besides, what employer wants their workers goofing off?

I didn't say that employers wanted employees goofing off but I'd say my only problems with that would be the mis-trust that'd come with that kind of monitoring. It'd also lower employee morale as they'd feel pressured knowing that everything they do at work is being scrutinised.

what, so card readers are now linked to road systems? bullshit

My bad, that was a typo. A very bad one, I'll admit, but a typo. I meant "in the country" and I have no idea how I made a typo like that.

Don't complain when a driver with a fake plate ploughs into you and you end up with little evidence because you decided taht CCTV is INvASIonOf ProvaXCy LAWL

When did I say I disagreed with the system of reading number plates? No, I didn't, presumptous ****.

yea, because if i pay with cash they're really going to be able to know its me

Yeah, that's a way to get around it, perhaps I worded it in a misleading way. My mistake. But if you use a credit or loyalty card then that can and will be monitored for marketing if it's in large stores (e.g. walmart)
I go to a bar to drink, talk to friends and enjoy myself, not to be the target of some idiot bar owner with a paranoia streak. If security means harrasing or annoying the customers, then he can have all the security he wants when he's out of business.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I think it's a terrible idea, and it won't catch on. I'd still probaly go in though.

Quote by Ozy44
I know that they're not telling you that Oyster cards enable the police to track you whereever you are. CCTV is being equipped with loudspeakers so that the authorities can tell you when you're in the wrong. Everytime you shop what you buy is monitored and they analyse your buying habits. CCTV on roads is reading number plates. Everytime you use your bank card you're registering your position on the road. For peopl e that work in offices; they know when you're working and when you're goofing off.

They're just taking the necessary baby steps to getting full control.

Yeah, all of that's true; most seem to crop up in all these police drama type things and show their uses, but most are overly nosey. The oyster card one bugs me, but they can only follow where you've gone on the tube. If you own a mobile you're giving away more detailed information about where you are the whole time, they can track exactly where you are if you have it turned on for long enough. It's ridiculous.

You just wait until they implement these X-Ray CCTV cameras. Apparently they want to be able to see through people's clothes to see if they're wearing bombs, but if you can see through clothes, will they not show everyone naked? It's the most disgusting poposition I've heard yet. I mean, you look at x-rays you've had at hospital and you can clearly see a flesh outline, these ones are meant to be weaker so that they can just see through clothes rather than skin, so in theory that'll be more intrusive. Also, they'll expose everyone to harmful rays.

The threat of terrorism is disgusting, but I think having your own government doing these kind of things is even worse. I'd also recommend everyone (UK) who opposes things like this to update their passports reasonably soon, otherwise you'll have to have a meeting with a government official, fingerprint scans and eye scans.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
If you own a mobile you're giving away more detailed information about where you are the whole time, they can track exactly where you are if you have it turned on for long enough.

You just wait until they implement these X-Ray CCTV cameras. Apparently they want to be able to see through people's clothes to see if they're wearing bombs, but if you can see through clothes, will they not show everyone naked? It's the most disgusting poposition I've heard yet. I mean, you look at x-rays you've had at hospital and you can clearly see a flesh outline, these ones are meant to be weaker so that they can just see through clothes rather than skin, so in theory that'll be more intrusive. Also, they'll expose everyone to harmful rays.

I'd also recommend everyone (UK) who opposes things like this to update their passports reasonably soon, otherwise you'll have to have a meeting with a government official, fingerprint scans and eye scans.

The RAC recieve 10,000 calls per day and they can track the exact position in 3-4 seconds.

I've actually not read much about x-ray CCTV but it seems largely unnecessary, I mean, they want to see if people are wearing bombs?! I reckon Blair's just a bloody perv!

Also, about the passport thing; meeting with a govt. official? Finger and retinal scans? I've heard nothing about this. Any links?
I don't know, if a bar required finger prints to get in, then chances are it'll be a lot safer than one that doesn't. If I were to go out for a drink in the pub, then I would much rather know there's less chance of violence.

However, I don't like how the Government is trying to take away all our privacy. I've heard about the CCTV cameras which will talk to you which they're thinking of introducing. Add a moving picture and you've got a damn telescreen. We're going to be turning into Airstrip One.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
I don't know, if a bar required finger prints to get in, then chances are it'll be a lot safer than one that doesn't. If I were to go out for a drink in the pub, then I would much rather know there's less chance of violence.

I agree with this, in the sense that if this is how the majority of women feel, then that's the bar they're going to. If that's the bar they're going to, then that's the bar I'm going to. If all women suddenly decided to go to knitting classes on Saturday nights, then all the dudes would suddenly decide they liked knitting too.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Quote by Ozy44
The RAC recieve 10,000 calls per day and they can track the exact position in 3-4 seconds.

I've actually not read much about x-ray CCTV but it seems largely unnecessary, I mean, they want to see if people are wearing bombs?! I reckon Blair's just a bloody perv!

Also, about the passport thing; meeting with a govt. official? Finger and retinal scans? I've heard nothing about this. Any links?

Didn't know about the RAC, but now that you've said it it makes a lot of sense. For things like that I don't mind though. If you're in the middle of nowhere on a road heading to a place you're going for the weekend and it's pouring with rain, it's extremely useful. I just don't like the fact that they can do it for anyone at any point, they should only be allowed to if you consent to it.

The most informative about the whole ID thing is probably http://www.no2id.net and the one for passports is http://www.renewforfreedom.org.

There was a big discussion forum on msn the other day about the x-ray CCTV. I'd not heard anything about it before that, but there are always quite interesting topics on the forums there (although not a member, you don't have to sign up just to view).

Quote by Dinkydaisy

However, I don't like how the Government is trying to take away all our privacy. I've heard about the CCTV cameras which will talk to you which they're thinking of introducing. Add a moving picture and you've got a damn telescreen. We're going to be turning into Airstrip One.

Why would it be safer though?
They're not going to care who they let in if they have the scanners, at least after a month or so. They'll see their profits drop significantly and will have to start letting in the people they installed the machines for to get money back in.

If you watch those police, camera, action type programmes on UK cities they sometimes show the CCTV cameras with the speakers in use. It's quite creepy, but they do actually work to move people on.

The greatest thing about this government though is not it's ability to take away our freedom, it's the fact that they say they want to help make the world greener and then I've read in recent weeks about new runways they want to build at two airports (Heathrow and Luton I think they were) and how they'd allow over 230 million more people to fly from each airport.
Anyway, that's a different subject altogether, I'm just slowly getting fed up of them saying and doing things that aren't necessary.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
Didn't know about the RAC, but now that you've said it it makes a lot of sense. For things like that I don't mind though. If you're in the middle of nowhere on a road heading to a place you're going for the weekend and it's pouring with rain, it's extremely useful. I just don't like the fact that they can do it for anyone at any point, they should only be allowed to if you consent to it.

The most informative about the whole ID thing is probably http://www.no2id.net and the one for passports is http://www.renewforfreedom.org.

There was a big discussion forum on msn the other day about the x-ray CCTV. I'd not heard anything about it before that, but there are always quite interesting topics on the forums there (although not a member, you don't have to sign up just to view).

Why would it be safer though?
They're not going to care who they let in if they have the scanners, at least after a month or so. They'll see their profits drop significantly and will have to start letting in the people they installed the machines for to get money back in.

If you watch those police, camera, action type programmes on UK cities they sometimes show the CCTV cameras with the speakers in use. It's quite creepy, but they do actually work to move people on.

The greatest thing about this government though is not it's ability to take away our freedom, it's the fact that they say they want to help make the world greener and then I've read in recent weeks about new runways they want to build at two airports (Heathrow and Luton I think they were) and how they'd allow over 230 million more people to fly from each airport.
Anyway, that's a different subject altogether, I'm just slowly getting fed up of them saying and doing things that aren't necessary.

It'll be safer because it means people will perhaps stop to think 'Well, they have my fingerprints so I'll keep from making trouble'.

I don't think the Government will be allowed to make speaking CCTV a widespread thing, the public will speak out against it. I, for one, don't want to be walking down the street and have a bloody camera telling me what to do.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Mad Marius
I go to a bar to drink, talk to friends and enjoy myself, not to be the target of some idiot bar owner with a paranoia streak. If security means harrasing or annoying the customers, then he can have all the security he wants when he's out of business.

Exactly
Quote by Dinkydaisy
It'll be safer because it means people will perhaps stop to think 'Well, they have my fingerprints so I'll keep from making trouble'.

I don't think the Government will be allowed to make speaking CCTV a widespread thing, the public will speak out against it. I, for one, don't want to be walking down the street and have a bloody camera telling me what to do.

I honestly don't think fingerprints will bother the people that want to be idiots any more than CCTV already does. There is absolutely no reason for fingerprints, allowing them to take them will just slowly give the government clearance to take everyone's DNA and put chips in babies heads.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
I honestly don't think fingerprints will bother the people that want to be idiots any more than CCTV already does. There is absolutely no reason for fingerprints, allowing them to take them will just slowly give the government clearance to take everyone's DNA and put chips in babies heads.

I've never been in a pub enviroment for drinking, so I wouldn't know how people act. My points were my thoughts on how people usually behave.

But we are slowly losing our right to do anything, at the town centre near me there's a big group of people who I hang around wit, sort of like a small community with a couple of dozen teenagers in the area. Now I know young people can seem threatening and scary to older citizens, but these kids don't even do anything, they just sit and relax where they're safe from everyone else. However, the police now come every week and will take random peoples details for no reason. Get randomly chosen three times, you get a letter to your parents explaining your causing a disruptance in the area. Which is bullshit. These sort of things are only going to continue to get worse, until we can't do anything.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by andrewbiles

Well that's the big thing right, curtailing liberties in the name of safety. I don't think there are many ways of increasing safety without reducing freedoms in some sense. I could see how parents would want chips in their babies heads, what if someone kidnaps them! The kid wouldn't really even know/care until he's in his mid-teens and wants to start doing stupid shit. Then he can always pull a MI-3 and defibrillate himself.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Page 1 of 2