Page 1 of 3
http://media.www.studentprintz.com/media/storage/paper974/news/2007/01/23/Opinion/Scientists.Cure.Cancer.But.No.One.Takes.Notice-2667600.shtml?sourcedomain=www.studentprintz.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

THis is like...amazing, you have to read the whole article though(not that long). The media won't release it though. So you guys gotta spread the word, put it on other forums you go to.
Sounds fake to me. If there's no patent, why doesn't Pfizer or Eli Lilly or some other pharmaceutical company apply for a patent for it? Then they could charge royalties. Also, it'd be profitable anyway, just from the sheer volume needed. Tylenol is profitable.

Also, this comes from a student newspaper. I'd have to question the credibility.
Can't stop the signal.
It's sad that they'll probably continue to let people die because of a profit.
IT does sound fake.
NVM, the reaserch pages actually sound more convincing http://www.depmed.ualberta.ca/dca/
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Feb 3, 2007,
Yay for capitalism!

Its not fake, its also been covered by the media.... ok bad argument.
i heard about this last week. i hope they actually end up using it eventually, make me happy.
ferret.
How about this then?

Looks more reliable, no

Anyways, great news if it's true, but... heh... 2 years too late...
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
T'was posted yesterday..
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
There's not "one" cancer, there are dozens of different cancers that are in different parts of the body and that have to be treated differently. So, there is no "one" cure for cancer.

EDIT: am i the onyl one that noticed it's under the "opinion" section?
It's true but it's just in the initial stages of testing, there is a lot more to be done. It still could very easily be found to be false or more harmful then good.

Plus how is curing cancer more profitable then a long drawn out treatment? It's not, that's why they don't have sponsorship from big companies.
It costs pennies to be made...so it cant be patented.
I am doing more research on this, I'll try to keep you guys updated.
Quote by Nabokov
It's sad that they'll probably continue to let people die because of a profit.

Yeah, that's incredibly sad.
And even worse if it's true.
Let's Do the Time Warp again.
Now how about a cure for stupidity? It seems my prescription of death isn't what the pussies call "legal".
The ultimate proof that this is fake is that the logic prooving its existance is contradicting. They say the only reason that it isn't being pumped out is because medical instdustries will loose money. Guess what? If the media discovered that there was a legit cure for cancer and the medical industry wasn't using it, they'd swarm like flies to shit.

Think about it. How many copies of the New York Times would be sold if the front page head line was "Cure for Cancer Discovered"? I'll tell you. All of them would be.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by E Daws
The ultimate proof that this is fake is that the logic prooving its existance is contradicting. They say the only reason that it isn't being pumped out is because medical instdustries will loose money. Guess what? If the media discovered that there was a legit cure for cancer and the medical industry wasn't using it, they'd swarm like flies to shit.

Think about it. How many copies of the New York Times would be sold if the front page head line was "Cure for Cancer Discovered"? I'll tell you. All of them would be.

this is just my opion...who controls our nation? our goverment who are very very rich and might be making money keeping things on the down low the goverment who controls the news papers truly mean ya 1st admendment but how would we say they cant do that if we never find out they r doing it im not saying im right but always always keep an open mind
I read about this in the newspaper last week.

Granted it wasn't front page, but it was in there.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by E Daws

I see where you're coming from and I do agree that it is entirely a possibility, but you have to consider other things. For example, what happens if the media releases something like this with the government and many other rich industries are on their ass?

Or you could consider it a conspiracy and think that there are reptilian aliens in control of the media and government which will do whatever possible to retain such information.
Quote by Kurtsmyhero06
this is just my opion...who controls our nation? our goverment who are very very rich and might be making money keeping things on the down low the goverment who controls the news papers truly mean ya 1st admendment but how would we say they cant do that if we never find out they r doing it im not saying im right but always always keep an open mind

You say the government controls the nation, the government controls the papers. Guess what? The same rich bastards who own the paper own the government. According to that BS article the cure was discovered in Canada. This isn't even the United States we're making fun of.

The government doesn't control the capitalists, the capitalists control the government. That's why people hate capitalism.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
I didn't see anything to make it seem fake, and my vague memory of biology class seemed to justify the apoptosis and midochondria stuff. I don't know, though. I think we should've heard more about it
Quote by Kurtsmyhero06
theres no way they will cure people not enough money in that like others have said

Probably right there.
But, a living person continues to spend money on various goods.
Dead people just aren't good consumers.
Quote by CodeMonk
Probably right there.
But, a living person continues to spend money on various goods.
Dead people just aren't good consumers.

True, but good consumers for whom? The medial industry won't prosper from people being cured and not needing their treatments any longer. Other industries will.
if this is the drug i'm thinking of, it looks like it may be quite effective in treating certain types of cancer. but it's old news. and more trials are needed to prove it works. and no companies will make it because they can't profit from it because they can't patent it.
Quote by Archaon
True, but good consumers for whom? The medial industry won't prosper from people being cured and not needing their treatments any longer. Other industries will.

I know, it sucks, but living people will still get headaches, they haven't cured arthritis yet, so tylenol will still make a profit.
If the government controlled the newspapers, there'd be no anti-government articles. Truth is there is.
^ really, I mean for all we know it could be, but remember the first adm.
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
Quote by Kurtsmyhero06

People like you are just HOPING for conspiracies. That's just annoying.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
Quote by Archaon

First off it's ridiculous that you think cancer researchers are money hungry. Get a freakin clue is all I can say to that.

Second, even if they are money grubbers, can you imagine the kind of grants that the guy who cures cancer will get? Seriously, he'll be able to research how they get caramel into the Caramilk bar for $100 million if he wants to.
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
It's probably fake. But even if it's real: It takes atleast 7 years of testing before a medicine/cure reaches the market. It was also said that a dutch university found a cure for cancer but that was 4 years ago and they are stell testing it.
I sold my soul for Rock 'n' Roll

Quote by CSguitarvocal
you've just proven that you're the most ignorant fuck on this website...

Thank you
Quote by darknessfan
Whenever I sit down to play guitar, I always need to pee in like 3 minutes. Is this weird?

Owned
Quote by Kurtsmyhero06

The government are also losing money from having to pump it into health care.
Besides most cancer researchers are not in it for the money, they are in it to cure cancer and when they do find a cure they'll make sure everyone knows about it. The nobel prize is a million dollers as far as i can remember
They prolly just have to test the thing first but it wont cure all types of cancer unfortunatly
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Old.
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
I think its fake. It sounds incorrect to me. If I'm not mistaken glycolysis is the first stage of cellular respiration, which all animals undergo. Glycolysis occurs within the mitochondria itself, therefore the cells that they are saying are undergoing glycolysis either lack a mitochondria, or have a dormant mitochondria is impossible. It would be a dead cell without the ability to undergo aerobic respiration.

Thats just my opinion on this article, based on what I know, however I am not a biologist.
^
no, glycolysis takes place in the cytosol (the cytoplasm minus the cell organelles) stage 2 (krebs cycle etc) takes place on the inner membranes of the mitochondria
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by search49
Sounds fake to me. If there's no patent, why doesn't Pfizer or Eli Lilly or some other pharmaceutical company apply for a patent for it? Then they could charge royalties. Also, it'd be profitable anyway, just from the sheer volume needed. Tylenol is profitable.

Also, this comes from a student newspaper. I'd have to question the credibility.

Because they can't patent it, it's been around for ages.

It also appeared in New Scientist and a bunch of other places. Isn't fake.

Quote by Archaon

They will market this because people will buy it.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by MarkPlaysStuff
First off it's ridiculous that you think cancer researchers are money hungry. Get a freakin clue is all I can say to that.

Second, even if they are money grubbers, can you imagine the kind of grants that the guy who cures cancer will get? Seriously, he'll be able to research how they get caramel into the Caramilk bar for $100 million if he wants to.

Listen kid, the fact is that MOST OF ALL THE MONEY FOR CANCER RESEARCH GOES INTO TREATMENTS.

Why? Because treatment is where the money is. Not the cure. I'm not saying all the medical researchers are money grubbers you turd monkey, but the industry is an industry just like any other. It's a business. Deal with it.
Quote by Meths
They will market this because people will buy it.

Yes, they will. But people also pay for treatments. What do you think will generate more money, the cure or the continuous treatments?
Quote by Archaon
Listen kid, the fact is that MOST OF ALL THE MONEY FOR CANCER RESEARCH GOES INTO TREATMENTS.

Why? Because treatment is where the money is. Not the cure. I'm not saying all the medical researchers are money grubbers you turd monkey, but the industry is an industry just like any other. It's a business. Deal with it.

Yes, they will. But people also pay for treatments. What do you think will generate more money, the cure or the continuous treatments?

Continuous treaments cost more to create and implement. Also suppression of a cancer cure would in all likelihood get the CEOs of the pharmaceutical companies killed. Not to mention that they're people to, their friends and relatives will also get cancer, I doubt they'll suppress a drug that they will probably need to use at one point.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I've heard about this supposed cure for cancer before. I'm not a fan of the idea, for one the population increase if cancer stops being a major killer will be huge. And that's just one aspect of it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Page 1 of 3