Alright...so I am looking at EMG pickups. 81/85 for my Epi Les Paul 100. But I was reading something on their website about batteries for the pickups and needing a special amp or something for them? What is all of this about? So do I have to buy a new amp or something/ And what is with using alkaline batteries for the pickups? Do I need to switch these out every week or something? Jeez, this confuses me? Help needed.
They're active pick-ups, thus, they need batteries to work. The amp they're referring to must be a tube amp, seeing as they'd sound shit on an SS.
EMG (and other brands) sell active pickups, which basically means a battery is connected to the pickups for more output/eq boost/whatever.

If your control cavity doesn't have enough room for the battery pack, you'll need to rout out some of the back.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
What they mean is that the pickups are active pickups which means they have a special sort of preamp inside them which boosts the pickups sound and they require batteries for this preamp to work and you will not need a special amp for them to work and yes you have to change your batteries every so ofton
Quote by FacingUsAll
EMG (and other brands) sell active pickups, which basically means a battery is connected to the pickups for more output/eq boost/whatever.

If your control cavity doesn't have enough room for the battery pack, you'll need to rout out some of the back.

Let the battery hang out man, it builds character and makes your guitar look cool.