What exactly is the difference between active pickups and passive pickups? Are active p-ups more powerful, and do they provide better tone?

Also, a quick question about tubes. Me and a buddy were talking in one day in band class, and he was talking about his car stereo system. And I jokingly said I would put a guitar amp in there, and mentioned that of course I wouldn't put a tube amp, becuase it's a car we were talking about, and bumpy roads+tubes=not good (I would suppose). So then he asks "What are tubes for?" And I didn't know. So what are they for? I've played tube amps, and I've read about them. And I know they're for the power (in the power amp section, of course). This also leads to another question: What is the preamp? And what is the power amp?

I figure the preamp is for the tone, and all that, and the power section is for the drive and volume.

Also, is it possible, and/or wise, to put a guitar amplifier in your car (head and cab)?

I'm not too smart with all the technical terms, and rigging stuff, so don't insult me.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Active pickups have battery powered ciruitry ( preamp as it were ).
My active p/u bass tends to have a wider tonal range than my passive ones, more high and low tones.

Not that the passive ones are neccesarily bad, with a good amp, the midrange tones can be tweaked just fine.

But i'm a Bassist primarily, and i could never stand the sound of a muddy bass in a bands mix, so active just seemed like a natural way to go for me.

As for tubes, i've played with Solid State ( Peavey MK IV stack ) and Valve/Tubes ( Ampeg SVT )..

I realize that with Bass rigs it is different tonality than what guitarists are looking for, but similar principles apply.

Tubes, when warmed up, add a nice natural distortion/overdrive sound that solid state simply can not duplicate accurately ( speaking for guitar naturally ).

Though distortion is not what i desire from my Ampeg, it does seem to have a powerful sound that cuts all the way to back of the room.

That is what I as a Bassist get from it.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem
Last edited by Angelus Mortem at Feb 3, 2007,
Active pickups do have more output than passive ones but the catch is they run on a battery. Tone is subjective so active pickups might not suit you. It's just best to try em' out for yourself.

Tubes are what give an amp it's head room and wattage I believe, I'm not 100% sure. The power tubes give the amp headroom anyway. Tubes distort in a more pleasant manner and sound good when distorted, which is why they're so sought after.

As for sticking an amp in your car, it's probably possible, just not practical and you'd have to do some routing and junk to get them both in. You'd probably want to use either a 2X12 cab or a 1X12 cab. Just make sure the wattage in the head doesnt exceed the speaker's wattage rating. Power supply might be a problem but I'm not sure.

EDIT: itrytofixtabs is now on top of my hit list.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Last edited by ac/dc_freak91 at Feb 3, 2007,
Quote by E V H 5150

Also, a quick question about tubes. Me and a buddy were talking in one day in band class, and he was talking about his car stereo system. And I jokingly said I would put a guitar amp in there, and mentioned that of course I wouldn't put a tube amp, becuase it's a car we were talking about, and bumpy roads+tubes=not good (I would suppose).

HAHAHA that made me laugh so hard

I dont think the bumby roads would be the problem for a tube amp, i think its the little 12 volt battery trying to power the tubes that have step-up transformers needing something like 400volts, but overall it would be stupid to put anykind of guitar amp in your vehicle, buy a normal amp you fairy
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
Still, never put tube amps in harsh environments....... !!

Also, no Active Pups alone usually have moderate output... but they are BOOSTED with the active preamp batteries blah blah blah....

Some say they're too sterile and thin.... Some like they edgy distortion it brings (almost 75% of the metal community use EMGs duh !!!)

Also, AFAIK they have no considerable magnetic pull, so you can set your pickups as high as possible without killing sustain.....

Me myself, I'm a passive pup guy..... Practicing, tube maintenance, string changing/tuning, that's enough for me...... I wouldn't wanna add BATTERY CHANGING.... heheh...

But that's just moi..... a Cube60 shredder....
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!