ok, so, i found this screaming tone i really like, and im testing it on every guitar. it sounds good on my squier, and ibanez, but when i get to my strat, i lose quite a bit of distortion. here comes the stupid part: is this because its a SC, or because of the output? (FYI, its a metal tone)

thanks!
Both. I would say. Singles coils will do that to a distorted tone, especially with lower output levels.
Quote by ExplorerFreak
depends on your taste. I would say humbucker.

is there a HB that could give me SC bite?
You could always get a humbucker, and then coil tap it so you can have both a Humbucker and Single Coil in the bridge.
Quote by ExplorerFreak
You could always get a humbucker, and then coil tap it so you can have both a Humbucker and Single Coil in the bridge.

thats what i have my squier for.

okay. ill just search vigorusly. and think.

thanks.
Quote by forsaknazrael
A Seymour Duncan Stag Mag uses Alnico II rod pole pieces, like in a single coil. So when you split it, it gives you true single coil output level, and something more similiar to a SC than most humbuckers can do...
So that's something to look into.

coil splitting isnt an option for me. i want true strat tone. thats the problem with using a strat and playing metal.
Well, a humbucker is never gonna have the glassy top end that a single coil has. It's just not possible. A P-90 is a type of single coil that's shaped differently...but is a bit more aggressive than a normal SC. You'd probably need routing to fit it in a strat...but that's something to consider.

Quote by ExplorerFreak
You CAN get "true strat tone" with coil tapping if you choose pickups correctly.

No, you can't. because a split coil is placed directly next to another coil...it's ALWAYS going to sound different than a real single coil.
Well, it could sound LIKE a single coil. But trust me...It really doesn't. It loses some of that sweet single coil top end because there's another magnetic field affecting the split coil....even if it isn't on. I had coil splits for a while...I wasn't satified with them. Too weak an output for most humbuckers (You'd need a humbucker with a DC resistance of at least 12K to get decent SC output...) so neck pickups were weak and even sounded thin when split...It just wasn't that great.
Active SC maybe? Not sure if that would do it for you. I'm not positive how much of the tone you would lose.
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, it could sound LIKE a single coil. But trust me...It really doesn't. It loses some of that sweet single coil top end because there's another magnetic field affecting the split coil....even if it isn't on. I had coil splits for a while...I wasn't satified with them. Too weak an output for most humbuckers (You'd need a humbucker with a DC resistance of at least 12K to get decent SC output...) so neck pickups were weak and even sounded thin when split...It just wasn't that great.

I agree, All it does is buzz more, sounds almost the same IMO.

Threadstarter: try some high output noiseless singles. also try playing the the hum-canceling positions.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Noiseless-3-Pickup-Set?sku=301646
if you can get the sound from your ibanez and squier, then what's the problem? Use those guitars for your metal playing, and leave the fender the way it is.
Quote by Zofar
I agree, All it does is buzz more, sounds almost the same IMO.

Threadstarter: try some high output noiseless singles. also try playing the the hum-canceling positions.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Noiseless-3-Pickup-Set?sku=301646

that was going to be my set. but now i kinda want lace sensors. which one would sound more like a true single coil?

^ my fender is the only one with a trem, and i like the feel of it the best.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Go play a PRS 513 .

Quote by Jimmy94
if you can get the sound from your ibanez and squier, then what's the problem? Use those guitars for your metal playing, and leave the fender the way it is.

Listen to this guy. That's the point of having multiple guitars.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
"^ my fender is the only one with a trem, and i like the feel of it the best."

im using it too my advantage too. im trying to keep it true to a strat tone, i just want it hotter.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Go play a PRS 513 .

What is that, that new double blade switch PRS? Saw it in a magazine.
Yeah, that's got a whole 'nother passive circuit board in there though to do that. I wanna try one out, but my local shops don't really carry PRS.
But see, it's got that whole other circuit in there. Conventional coil splitting won't get ya true single coil.