i've been playing guitar for about 5 months and last night i taught myself how to play Panama by Van Halen. So now im trying to learn Aint Talking Bout Love by Van Halen of course and i skimmed through the tab and saw something that looked like this: <5> and i looked at the legend and it said natual harmonic and then i scrolled down some more and saw a note that said pinched harmonic. Also before i looked at the tab i saw a video of it and it pinched harmonic (im guessing) sounded like a high pitch squeal...

So can anyone help me on how to make the natural and pinched harmonic?
Thanks
hold your finger right above the fret bar just so that your finger is barely rubbing against the string. Then pick the string and adjust it until you get the squealing sound. then u can use your whammy bar and make some cool sounds with it and stuff.
wait ozzy i already knew that....like if i tried it on 12th fret 3rd string id call that a muffled string...oooh well now can anyone tell me how to do the natural harmonic?
yo can any one help here?? i have 49 views some of you should help me out here, please
Quote by ozzy102691
hold your finger right above the fret bar just so that your finger is barely rubbing against the string. Then pick the string and adjust it until you get the squealing sound. then u can use your whammy bar and make some cool sounds with it and stuff.

That IS a natural Harmonic isn't it?
Quote by The Mizfit
That IS a natural Harmonic isn't it?
Yes.

A pinch harmonic is when you pick a string but you have your thumb briefly touch the string, creating a loud squeal.

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/pinch/index.php
Ah the good old days, going crazy trying to learn how to do pinch'd harmonics and using them waaaay too much!

EDIT: U'll get it man!