I want to change my strat from an HSS to an SSS. I have searched and read about 9 different threads on this, but am still slightly confused so here are the two questions.

1) Is it true all I need is a new pickguard and the pickups will fit(read no modifications to the body or anything like that)?

2) The wiring for most of everything is on the fender site I believe, but is it difficult or will i need to do any special kind of wiring because I'm changing it from HSS to SSS?
Quote by flump

1) Is it true all I need is a new pickguard and the pickups will fit(read no modifications to the body or anything like that)?

Since you have an HSS the bridge pickup cavity should be more than big enough for a single coil.
Here are your answers.

1) Yes, it is true that all you need is the new pickguard and the pickups to fit it. No body routing or modificatoin is necessary as long as it's for a fender. They even sell them with pickups already in them if that's easier for you.

2) The wiring is similar, but unless you know your way around a five way toggle and the pots that you have, I'd say let someone qualified do it - or just buy the fender pickguards with the pickups already in.
as far as i know u just switch the old pick up with the new one and just solder in the two wires into the new pick up.
First of all, thank you for the answers this quickly. I have plenty of experience with electrical stuff so soldering things as long as I have a wiring diagram shouldn't be a problem. My last question is do I need any new pots or anything since I'm switching from a humbucker to a single coil.