Page 1 of 13
We all know the famous thread "funny guitar center stories" well, now i have a story that just pisses me off. I was in the guitar store today and i was playing a fender twin reverb amp. I had the amp on about 2 so i wouldnt disturb anyone who was actually trying to check out and buy an amp. I was playing a bit of Lenny when a guy on the other side of me gets a BC Rich Warlock and starts to shred with his volume on AT LEAST 7 on a peavey tube amp, distortion fully cranked. I just dont get it, i try to respect the people around me and they are all just assholes. the guy didnt have to turn it up that loud, he ( and everyone else in the store ) could hear himself. I just hate asshats like this.

Similar experiences?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

He was showing off man...some people seem to get off on that. It sucks, but it happens a lot.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
There's always someone showing off their shredding there. But usually they're not that loud... ive never had too much of a problem with it
i dont have one
the first time i went in with a pantera shirt and this guy walked past me and was like "thats a ****ing badass shirt bro!" and threw me the metal fingers lol
There were a few 13-14 year olds shopping around in GC. They asked one of the employees to hook them up to a B-52 and told him they were going to buy it. I conviniently walked to the vault, which is near where the B-52 is located. After sitting and observing the kids play Story of the Year and assorted Fall Out Boy songs, they then decided it would be a good idea to tinker with the tubes in the back. They broke one, quickly left, and I held myself back from castrating them. ****ing dickwads. They should be hanged from trees by their testes.
Quote by hightension01
its called

hypocrasy
i was in guitar center (obviously), and i was checking out. Now, i play many different styles, and i DONT play a lot of real fast metal stuff..all the metal i play is based on heavyness, not speed. Anyway, i saw some kid wearing a Nirvana shirt, and thought to myself 'wow, somebody else who doesnt play metal all the time. thats pretty rare in here, for teenagers.'

of course, he picks up an ibanez and starts playing his little drop D riff, straight 16ths, with those freaking minor 3rd hammerons/pulloffs that every 'metal' kid does.

O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

yeah today at that ass-hat music store i was talking about in my thread about it, some guy brought in his fender hss strat and cranked a marshall half-stack up to like 3 and on a half stack that's LOUD, and he played awesome awesome metal stuff and some blues.I just kind of turned the amp i was playing off and listened because i was just playing a little 30 watt epi amp.Had he not been an amazing guitarist i would have been mad.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
wtfs a hickey?!
I just hate how you go in there and there's always the one guy sitting in the corner playing Sweet Child O Mine or Stairway To Heaven. I mean, they're both great songs, but they're so over played.
Don't You Talk to Billy Idol That Way.

Gear:
Epiphone Limited Ed. G-400 W/ Maestro Trem
Washburn WI14 Idol Series
Jasmine ES-31 Acoustic-Electric
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
We all know the famous thread "funny guitar center stories" well, now i have a story that just pisses me off. I was in the guitar store today and i was playing a fender twin reverb amp. I had the amp on about 2 so i wouldnt disturb anyone who was actually trying to check out and buy an amp. I was playing a bit of Lenny when a guy on the other side of me gets a BC Rich Warlock and starts to shred with his volume on AT LEAST 7 on a peavey tube amp, distortion fully cranked. I just dont get it, i try to respect the people around me and they are all just assholes. the guy didnt have to turn it up that loud, he ( and everyone else in the store ) could hear himself. I just hate asshats like this.

Similar experiences?

same thing has happend to me brother dont feel bad.
so i went in there, picked up an expensive strat and started playing "the final countdown"

with in seconds i was impaled by a metal rod
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i hate it when i get to guitar center, and wanna try out a really amazing amp, but all the guitars that i wanna use just suck ass and i wind up sounding like balls when i know id sound pretty damn good with my guitar

-axe
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
This dude at this local guitar shop I go to was watching me play on a full stack marshall 2000 and MAN it was brutally loud.

He watched me and said, "you're pretty good!". I thanked him and he grabbed my guitar and showed off a bit, I didn't mind, I learned alot. A couple minutes later he goes saying, "Hey, this guitar's out of tune." He detunes the G,B,E strings and he gave it to me and said, "here ya go!"

O_O, Meh, he's as nice guy so it's alright.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I was playing in the bass room one time, when this girl walked in with her dad. The girl looks around and says, "Oh this is the bass room." Then her dad says, "They're both the same aren't they?" I wanted to tip over the big Ampeg full stack on his head.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
I hate when you have the 11-12 year old kids walk in acting like their the shit and they sit down and play REALLY LOUD but they totally suck.
Similar thing I can barely hear what i'm playing myself and some dude somes up turns the volume to effing ten and starts playing heave metal.

There's also this one time I was playing that amp and a salesmen was selling this kid an ad50vt amp, I thought cool I have the ad30 hje's a lucky kid, well the salesmen knows almost nothing about the amp turns it up starts playing crappy chords and shows off to the kid and his family the nhands him the guitar, I felt bad for the kid knowing that similar happened to me. Of course most of the guys there are great.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Damn it... this is why I prefer Sam Ash... people in there are generally a little bit older, smarter, and more aware of their skill level. Plus their stuff is cheaper.

I was in GC one time playing around with some amps and whatnot with my Ibanez, and this kid about 12 or 13 wearing a Megadeth shirt walks up to me and says, "That guitar blows, only American made guitars are worth playing." Wtf. So he sits down behind me with a Strat (MIM I might add) at a Peavey and starts playing the aforementioned standard metal crap with WAY too much gain and absolutely no mids, and says "Betcha can't play that shit!" So I ignored him and played some slower, more mellow music. He goes off on how he's faster than me and brags about how he can shred. So I played some sweeps, then the Holy Wars solos. He's like "what the hell is that?" and I said "You should know, you're wearing the shirt." He said nothing. I went to a different part of the store.
This one dude kept looking at me everytime I went by him, and everytime I was practicing my riffs he would always look at me.
Well, one time I went into the guitar shop with my little stepbrother. He is 9 years old and hasn't started guitar yet, but I'm trying to get him into the right stuff so he doesn't turn out like a gay emo. Anyway after a bit of looking around, I grabbed an ibanez off the shelf and showed him a bit of Master Of Puppets. So then he goes over to the shop dude and he's like "Can i try out a guitar?" and the guy was like "Sure, which one would you like?" and he sorta glances at the shelf and points at one. "This one" he said, pointing to a $1000 Jackson. He went over, plugged it into an amp and turned it up really loud, then started strumming the strings randomely making a noise like a dog getting chewed up in a paper shredder. I was so embarrased.
My Gear...
Guitars:
- Ibanez RG350EX
- Cort Acoustic
Amps:
- Randall RG75
Effects:
-Boss ME-50 Multi Effects

Quote by Ajax413
Pfft... I know a guy who didn't even masturbate until he was 18... now that's a late bloomer.
I went to gc, started playing some improv blue over a minor pentatonic. this was on a fender princeton reverb. A kid walks up plugs into a spider plugsi nhis squier dimes the volume plays a powerchord. And the amp breaks.

haha

I was laughign so hard.
Oh please dont turn this into the "dumbest thing anyone has ever told you about guitars" thread where its just bashing of random people.

Everyone is going to come across people who think they are great and they arent.
You dont need to show them up, just ignore them.

as for Guitar Center.
You always have those people who go in just to show off.
The piss you off because they don't just go in to play, they go in to be loud an arrogant and show off how much better they are than you.
or to show off to girls who they never get the chance to take home to show off to (you know I'm right, and you know you've done it too)

but hey...what can you do.

what pisses me off about GC the most is the fact that they close ridiculously early (the GC near me is right next to a mall (its actually part of the mall, just not the same building).
It is always the first thing in the area to close (usually at what...7? MAYBE 9 if its a friday).
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
To be honest, I'm a little embarassed to play loudly in a guitar store, and although I am usually that kid playing the B.C. Rich through a distorted amp, I do it in the corner, quietly. Though last time, I played a Gretsch through a Microcube and loved it...

Really, I think that the amount of people that act like pioneers for playing a Jimi Hendrix song and brag about how amazingly unkvlt they are is equally as annoying as those goths that play Slayer at 8 on a Marshall...
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by kaplac
I went to gc, started playing some improv blue over a minor pentatonic. this was on a fender princeton reverb. A kid walks up plugs into a spider plugsi nhis squier dimes the volume plays a powerchord. And the amp breaks.

haha

I was laughign so hard.

That screams Pwn3d in so many different volumes and dimensions it's even funny in a parallel universe.
I don't know why, but I feel like I'm being a nuisance when I sit down and play some ska riffs and stuff like that. Everyone just stares at me like I'm crazy. I'm playing on a damn Blues Jr at 1 volume. Bastards.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i never play loudly at gc i get embarassed, even if i like ace a song perfectly. but half the time im at guitar center im listenin to some old black dude play bass like no other or some old guy crank out blues
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

I go in and butcher Stairway To Heaven on $5000 Gretsches at volume 10.

What are you gonna do about it?
And if ever You come near, I will hold up high a mirror.
Lord, I could never show you anything as beautiful as You.
Quote by Deathcrush6_6_6
I hate when you have the 11-12 year old kids walk in acting like their the shit and they sit down and play REALLY LOUD but they totally suck.

yeah man,I was just gonna say that,good job
hey guy!
^ fender freak.

Actually, I'm quite embarresed to play loud myself. I know it's to just test drive gear and all...but you don't want to make a fool of yourself!

Happens to me. Example;

*Goes into guitar shop and plugs guitar into high wattage tube amp*...
*strikes chord at master volume @ 3*
NOOOOO!!!
*Turns volume @ 1 and strikes chord*
NOOOOOO!!!!
...*turns off amp and starts playing*

Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i just never want to play loud...

since i am a rythm guitarist... i really dont have much to prove.....
so i sit and find an open amp... get a schecter.. and just play any riff that comes to mind.. made up or not
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I've yet to be in a Guitar Center, but I have some 'little music shop' stories of my own.

A friend and I went to this local shop we knew of, just to scope out the place, and look at all the shit I can't buy. Anyway, we're in there for a couple minutes, checking out pedals, guitars, and amps, when some paunchy butterball waltzes in, plugs into the Marshall half stack sitting there, and just starts belting some generic Minor Pentatonic solo at about 5 volume, and mass distortion. Now this was a small shop, like apartment-sized. Ugh. It amazes me that during this, he attempts to have a conversation with the shop owner, but decides it would be better to play as loudly as possible and try to scream over the guitar at the guy.

DAMN YOU FAT PEOPLE!! EITHER OWN AT GUITAR OR LOSE WEIGHT!!

Yes, they are your only options.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
Quote by fenderfreak101

haha dude i play smoke on the water on a Gibson LP at 4.7 on a tube stack!
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
Quote by fenderfreak101

You should've turned the amps up to 11.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

Quote by The_Crowing_IV
I just hate how you go in there and there's always the one guy sitting in the corner playing Sweet Child O Mine or Stairway To Heaven. I mean, they're both great songs, but they're so over played.

one of the local gutiar stores that i always go to has a sign up that says that you can't play certain songs(enter sandman, stairway to heaven, crazy train, etc) because that stuff has to get old after hearing everybody come in and play it.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by Guitarplaya27
i just never want to play loud...

since i am a rythm guitarist... i really dont have much to prove.....
so i sit and find an open amp... get a schecter.. and just play any riff that comes to mind.. made up or not

hey its u again. rhythm guitarist rock. wen me and my mate go into the local music store we have little competitions. he does his lead things and i have my rhythm stuff. id admit he is faster than me but his palm muting is pretty weak and he hasnt mastered the pinch harmonics yet. so he play something with some speed then i just play a song that has heavy palm muting. its a great day out if ya got f*ck all to do.

One day this guy comes in and we are playing and he comes over and say something about how he's the next kirk hammit, grabs the guitar and plays the intro to enter sandman. he gives me back the guitar and laughs at us. me and my mate just look at each other and play the machine gun solo from one. mate does his part i do mine. this guy just looks at us like we just stabbed him. it was annoying but turned out so funny for us.
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
I vote you for Australian of the Year.

Quote by Dunjma
lol yea chuck the sicky! what an aussie tradition angels fighter i too vote u for aussie of the year

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I call bullsh*t. White people don't get sacked.

Visit my friends Site
Quote by LetTheBassPlay
one of the local gutiar stores that i always go to has a sign up that says that you can't play certain songs(enter sandman, stairway to heaven, crazy train, etc) because that stuff has to get old after hearing everybody come in and play it.

I'd just walk in and play all of that to see what happpens.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

Similar experiences?

I dont blame the kid...minus the bc rich. You never mention if he bought it or not, and you dont know if he was trying to find the right amp for himself. Its a tube amp, you have to crank it to hear the true sound, so if hes testing it i dont blame him.
my one vaguely annoying moment at a music shop was when this guy who had just started playing guitar and i got talking, he basically says don't you get bored playing bass so i show him a nice melodic riff on the closest acoustic bass i could see, he was impressed and i ended up teaching him a couple of jazz licks

he's now a bassist
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
i had gotten a white les paul off the shelf (which is something i really want) and plugged in to a 50watt vox amp. i started playing some zappa, rhcp, hendrix and some improv blues/jazz. some little 12 year old walks into the store and starts walking my way. he has a metallica shirt on, and a pair of sunglasses. he walks by me, then stops when he's about a foot past me and turns around and says "that's a pretty nice guitar." and i'm like "yeah man, they're solid, i love the way the neck feels." then he's like play something so i go back to what i had been playing before, which was castles made of sand, and about 15 seconds in he grabs my volume knob and turns it all the way down (it was on 3) and starts waving his hand. he says "nah man, if you wanna play a les paul you gotta play some music that are meant to be played on les pauls." i just looked at him for a while, and contemplated punching him in the face. i decided against it when he took the guitar out of my hands, cranked the volume to 6 and started playing some typical nu-metal shit. i immediately walked away.
We dont have guitar centre in canada...

But I have a story. I was in Walters music in London, its an independent store, and its in a mall. They sell mostly acoustic guitars and pianos, but in the back they have a small electric room. So i was trying to kill time, waiting for some people, and I picked up an electric and plugged it in, I was playing quietly. This other guy is in there and he was playing really loud, and I think he was trying to do Trivium or some shit like that, he butchered it. Anyway, I turned up my amp cause I couldnt hear myself playing over his shit. After a few minutes one of the employees comes in and tells the guy to turn down his amp. I reached to turn mine down, and the guy was like, "no, dont worry about it".
it was pretty funny. I was playing the same volume as this other guy, but I was actually playing music.
OK so lyk i went 2 my locl sh0p nd this gy was plying sum geyb0 em0 stuff, i snatchd the closist iban'z of teh wal and plugd it in2 tha nerest one hundrd wat t00b amp.

long story short, i pwnd his hed with masta of pupits lolSS!!!!!!1oneoen

edit: metalixa pwns j00!
rawk on!
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Last edited by John W at Feb 4, 2007,