how does a bass neck bend? is it noticeable? I DIDNT KNOW WOOD THAT THICK COULD BEND :@
Quote by Oke
I DIDNT KNOW WOOD THAT THICK COULD BEND :@

My girlfriend said the same thing
A neck bends if the strings apply enough tension on it. Wood can bend, just like metal.

Neck bow is fine to a degree. If your neck is ok it won't be very noticeable. Hold the bass as if you were sitting down and playing, and press down the last and first fret. Then look at the 7th fret. There should be a little bit of space between the fret and the string, about 1mm. If the neck is straight it's no good cause you'll get too much buzz, if it's too bowed you'll have high action and bad intonation.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by Oke
how does a bass neck bend? is it noticeable? I DIDNT KNOW WOOD THAT THICK COULD BEND :@

do you see try branches bend in the wind? i thought so
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
I read somewhere that the tension the strings put on the neck is the same as hanging an elephant off the end of them and even stuff like wood would bend slightly with that tension pulling on it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I read somewhere that the tension the strings put on the neck is the same as hanging an elephant off the end of them and even stuff like wood would bend slightly with that tension pulling on it.

String tension (let's assume 5-string): approx. 200 pounds (depends on strings)

Elephant tension: many tonnes

Sexual tension: Ahoy!
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
A neck of a guitar or bass is really not thick when you think about it. Thats why they have truss rods...a bit of wood that thin cant possibly cope with the strain
Quote by canadianpunk071
String tension (let's assume 5-string): approx. 200 pounds (depends on strings)

Elephant tension: many tonnes

Sexual tension: Ahoy!

Ok i stand corrected
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by Oke

Dude....

Have you ever seen an old ship?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~