Over the last few days, I've really fallen in love with the sound playing standard power chord shapes, but with the three high strings remaining open.

For example, these chords with a 6th string root. They look like some form of Bm, G, A and C I think... but they are not just straight up major and minor chords with octaves. The O's represent open strings. Just basically power chords with your fingers raised enough that the high strings aren't muted.

O O O O
O O O O
O O O O
9 5 12 10
9 5 12 10
7 3 10 8

And what about the same idea applied to the 5th string:

O O O O O
O O O O O
4 6 7 9 11
4 6 7 9 11
2 4 5 7 9
X X X X X

Bm, C#m, Em, F#m.... not really sure about those.

These chords sound great on acoustic and really nice to fingerpick up the neck. I would like to start placing these the context of keys so I know where to use them.

I'm also experimenting with sliding standard open chords up and down the neck to get some nice sounds out of them. I'm having a hard time figuring out the specific chords I'm playing. Any help would be appreciated.
Just write out the notes, form chords. I'd do it for you but 1.) I'm horrible at figuring out chords and 2.) I'm lazy.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
i like these chords (drop d) but don't know what they're called either:

o o o
o o o
2 6 4
o 4 2
o 4 2
o 4 2
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
sacamano's right, those chords kick ass
here are 2 others i enjoy:

0 (this one especially when you slide up from a C)
x

X
(its an A with lots of octaves, also slide that baby up to 12 11 10 its like an A/D or something, it rocks too)

Oh also, i think some of those power chords work better if you just keep the top 2 open and play on the g
Bones, sinking like stones.
Really, just figure the individual notes out, chance are those will give you a good idea of key, and you can find a chord name.

If you're terrible at naming chords, go to http://www.all-guitar-chords.com and use the reverse chord thing to find a possible name, or use a program like PowerTab to do it.

To help a little, that E is an E5, as the only notes are E and it's 5th, B.
The B is actually more of an Emadd9/B.