Page 1 of 2
Call me slow but i have watched the movie fight club two times now and i still believe that i do not understand it fully. After watching the first movie i constantly asked myself questions and tried looking back in my mind for answers.they were:

Tyler constantly spoke to crowds and others so if he was imaginary then how could this happen?

after watching the movie again tyler said it was jack that spoke to the crowds but when he did this he imagined he was watching tyler saying it.

so i got that part down.

but what happens in the scene where jack beats himself up in the boss's office? is it tyler taking control of him and thus beating himself up or jack doing it himself ie without inteference from tyler.

and what happens in the final scene where jack/tyler shoots himself?...i assumed that they would both die. yet even blood loss didnt hold jack/tyler down.

and i know its not something to dwell on but how the hell did a fight club prosper when it was originally a man beating himself up in the car park? onlookers wouldnt say 'can i go next?' because that would imply that they want everyone else to watch them beat themselves up.

if u do reply to this could you please also give a detailed description in regards to the condition and how this affects jack...sumtimes i think im right but then i just get confused again.
Quote by slashnmash
Sex is a brand of very tasty sweets, go ask your mother for some.
Last edited by Ttenneb at Feb 4, 2007,
It's Jack the whole time. lols. Tyler is the alter-ego. I think your looking a little too much into it.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
^+1 with Greety

Awesome movie, but to answer the end of the movie with the shot in the mouth...

It was basically the only way to lose Tyler...it's a bit confusing but all I know is that the ending was different in the book...Jack died lulz.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Not to be one of those jackasses that says read the book, but:
the ending in the book is different and there's some other stuff that is not in the movie that might shed some light on this if you actually care (which you seem to)
Quote by greety
It's Jack the whole time. lols. Tyler is the alter-ego. I think your looking a little too much into it.

yeah greety i know that..lol..shit man, im not that thick....and im looking into it because im doing an assignment on it in regards to changes in life.

yeh everyone says its a great movie...but how many of those people truly understand it...this movie is a cult in itself but i havent found a review which explains it fully
Quote by slashnmash
this is one of those movies people like to say they love so they seem smart, sort of like Pink Floyd (I'm not saying everyone who likes Floyd is like this, I really like the band, but as a fact there's a lot of people who are just talking out of their ass)
Quote by Ttenneb
yeah greety i know that..lol..shit man, im not that thick....and im looking into it because im doing an assignment on it in regards to changes in life.

yeh everyone says its a great movie...but how many of those people truly understand it...this movie is a cult in itself but i havent found a review which explains it fully

All I remember is that Jack was bored with his life...which is why he blew up the house or whatever (wtf!?). He wanted to start something new...that's how he brought Tyler into the mess...remember when he made that burn mark on his hand? Well, yeah, as you would know, it was Jack that forced himself into it.

Eventually it comes to an end how Jack realizes everything..jack wanted to be tyler, that's his ideal self and he eventually became him in the end of the movie.

So, he shoots himself in the mouth and they live happily ever after.

Tehz EnD.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Mr.Pink
this is one of those movies people like to say they love so they seem smart, sort of like Pink Floyd (I'm not saying everyone who likes Floyd is like this, I really like the band, but as a fact there's a lot of people who are just talking out of their ass)

yeah thats what i said bout it being a cult....like donnie darko..but i understand donnie darko and thats a teenie bit overrated
Quote by slashnmash
awesome movie.

jack shoots himself because its the only way he can "believe" that tyler is dead.
basically tyler dies if jack believes he's not real.

idk if that makes sense or not, but yeah this isnt the type of movie that you can leave to grab a drink lol.

its 5 minutes and youre back thinking wtf is going on lol.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
well your cool you have a taste in music but anyone else....

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
Member number 5 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Jazz
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
don't get me started on donnie darko, it's got a big loophole in the plot which makes no sense at all once you actually consider the whole tangent universe thing
Quote by Jinskee
All I remember is that Jack was bored with his life...which is why he blew up the house or whatever (wtf!?). He wanted to start something new...that's how he brought Tyler into the mess...remember when he made that burn mark on his hand? Well, yeah, as you would know, it was Jack that forced himself into it.

Eventually it comes to an end how Jack realizes everything..jack wanted to be tyler, that's his ideal self and he eventually became him in the end of the movie.

So, he shoots himself in the mouth and they live happily ever after.

Tehz EnD.

lol..man i get that too....i spose its just the ending i dont get
Quote by slashnmash
Quote by Thania
awesome movie.

jack shoots himself because its the only way he can "believe" that tyler is dead.
basically tyler dies if jack believes he's not real.

idk if that makes sense or not, but yeah this isnt the type of movie that you can leave to grab a drink lol.

its 5 minutes and youre back thinking wtf is going on lol.

ok what u said bout it being the only way he can believe he is dead makes sense....but jack would still die...fk me this movie better not of got any golden globes/oscars or anything like that.lol
Quote by slashnmash
Quote by Ttenneb
lol..man i get that too....i spose its just the ending i dont get

Argh.

Well, I give up lol

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Ttenneb
ok what u said bout it being the only way he can believe he is dead makes sense....but jack would still die...fk me this movie better not of got any golden globes/oscars or anything like that.lol

Well, he died in the book. Remember, the book and the movie are a tad different.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
doesnt matter if they are different...if the movie makes no sense it shouldnt have been created....

do u mean jack dies in the book?
Quote by slashnmash
Quote by Ttenneb
doesnt matter if they are different...if the movie makes no sense it shouldnt have been created....

do u mean jack dies in the book?

Yeah he does.

Honestly, I had the same reaction as you had when I saw the ending.

It was like...

*jack shoots himself in the mouth*

me: LOLOLOL AWESOME *grabs more popcorn*

*Jack gets back up and is completley fine*

me: w...t...f...

edit: Also, it would have been anti-climatic if he died in the movie.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^ agrees.

in the book, jack died.

in the movie, jack lives, holds marla's hands and watches buildings all around them go down and THEN they live happily ever after.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
Jazz
well if jack died that wouldve made the ultimate movie...honestly it wouldve been worthy of its credit..but thats just stupid...apparently the author has created a few books and one is about a beauty queen which got in an accident and became hideous...and that book was denied publishment..then he wrote fight club and that was accepted and i read in a few years the one bout the beauty queen is going to be made into a movie...hopefully its not as weird as fight club
Quote by slashnmash
Quote by Thania
^ agrees.

in the book, jack died.

in the movie, jack lives, holds marla's hands and watches buildings all around them go down and THEN they live happily ever after.

yeh thats what i dont get..unless its something in metaphorical terms like he was at peace with himself and others...but the space monkeys spoke to him and aske him if he was alright so thatll be stupid....

is 'invisible monster' reference to the book about the beauty queen i was talking bout?....because i think thats what its called
Quote by slashnmash
yep it is.

chuck palahniuk written a lot of books, very good ones.

www.chuckpalahniuk.net

theres a movie section in it i think
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Jazz
There is no Jack, the lead character has no name. He just refers top 'Jack's raging bile duct' and that fromthe magazines.

You're looking too far into it, it's quite clear what happens.

^ In the book he wakes up in hospital and one of the nurses wishes him well and hopes to see him back in actionm soon.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles

^ In the book he wakes up in hospital and one of the nurses wishes him well and hopes to see him back in actionm soon.

Thats what I thought the ending was.
no. in the book, pg 206 lol "of course, when i pulled the trigger, i died." lol

this movie is so good. hopefully they make survivor as a movie next
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Jazz
^ For someone who did in fact read the book, you sure took that line incredibly literally.

He didn't die.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Thania

Pg 208

'Because every once in a while, somebody brings me my lunch tray and my meds and he has a black eye or his forehead is swollen with stitches and he says:
"We miss you Mr Durden."'
Quote by Thania

They were gonna make Survivor, they got the rights just before 9/11. I can't see it coming out soon.

Choke apparently will though.
Quote by Rankles
There is no Jack, the lead character has no name. He just refers top 'Jack's raging bile duct' and that fromthe magazines.

i was about to say that.

people act like they know so much, but theyre calling the "Narrator" Jack.

n00bs.

anyway, shooting himself was just to get rid of Tyler once and for all. he only shot out through his cheek in the movie, so it doesnt kill him. it just hurts like hell id imagine.
Quote by Thania
^ agrees.

in the book, jack died.

you stupid f***, did you even read the book? he didn't die he was just sent to a mental ward because the thought he was another person and because of attemped suicide.

but anyway. when he didn't die in the movie it was because of suspention of disbelife meaning that it happend because the writer or director said it did.
"It smells like semen and Vicks in here!"

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Join
Fight Club
"this is bob, bob has bitch tits"
when the **** did this become a book?
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
Quote by A_New_Level
when the **** did this become a book?

dude

DUDE!

just stop.

youre killing me.

seriously.

It was a book that was made into a movie.
Quote by Rankles

You're looking too far into it, it's quite clear what happens.

The problem here is these kids watch the movie first, then decide to read the book and try to coincide one with the other... Lil B*stards...
Quote by Thania

The line immediately after that is "Liar."
Well, ya know it IS possible that the Movie was another tangent of the same concept.

I personally felt the movie made sense. Of course I read the book a few years ago and at that point it also made sense. In one he gets a grip on himself, and in the other he doesn't, but the point being made is that people need to get a grip on themselves and their wants despite what society tells them to want. So, it's really kinda the same ending.
Hmm, guess I shouldn't listen to other people telling me what happens in the book.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Jack never died, folks.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
I could say something that would totally kill the vibe in this thread, but I don't think I will. Ah, what the hell?
Rule Number 1 of Fight Club: You do not talk about Fight Club.

Sorry.

Anyway, I have not read the book, but I want to. However, I have read Haunted. (That is the one with the pool incident, correct?) Now that was a messed up story.
I did a change essay on this movie about a year ago.

So you can say, at the start of the movie the narrator was depressed/had insomnia/whatever, he was restricted by his own materialism. A way his mind allowed him to change was by creating this alter ego (tyler) who removes all ties between the narrator and his personal possessions, by preaching 'only when you have lost everything are you free to do anything'. You can say that this is evident in the symbolism of costuming, the narrator in the beginning before meeting Tyler dresses conservatively (suits) but eventually the change from his complete rejection of materialism has him running around the streets in boxer shorts.

etc.
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.
I thought that when he shot himself their heads were at different angles. The main guy's went through his cheek and Brad Pitt got shot through the neck.
Page 1 of 2