So a few weeks ago, I decided I was going to get better pickups than the stock ones. I played around with a bunch of different pcikups and couldn;t decide between seymour duncan or emg, but eventually I decided on emg.
Now, I play lead. So it made sense to me to get the 81 as the bridge, and to use the 85 in the neck (Zak Wydle (or however you spell his name) set). But it recently occurred to me that I like to play metal leads with the neck pickups, and every other kind of lead with the birdge. So my final conclusion is to get two emg-81s. I'm guessing it's possible to do this?
Ofcourse it is ^^. You can even buy them in a little set.

But, before you go buy your active pick-ups, there is one thing you should think about:

" Am i really not lazy enough to replace the batteries every ****ing time they stop working ?"

If you answered yes on the top question, than there still is hope for you my little friend!

EMG has released a Passive copy of the 81. I believe it's called the EMG H4. It's awesome. I'd go for that one.
if you have a tube amp get the 81's. they come in like a kirk hammet set or something
Get the actives. The battery lasts a long time unless you leave the guitar plugged in all the time....or you're playing 12 hours a day.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin

EMG has released a Passive copy of the 81. I believe it's called the EMG H4. It's awesome. I'd go for that one.

No. It's garbage.

Same with all other EMGs... but! That's just my opinion, if you like them, then go for it.

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT

Listen to me.... BUT!

You MUST, I say MUST MUST MUST play a guitar with the Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Livewire set (active pickups) and see how you like that. They SCREW the EMGs in the bum 1000 times over.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
Ofcourse it is ^^. You can even buy them in a little set.

But, before you go buy your active pick-ups, there is one thing you should think about:

" Am i really not lazy enough to replace the batteries every ****ing time they stop working ?"

If you answered yes on the top question, than there still is hope for you my little friend!

Lol the battery doesn't start losing tone for nearly 3 months if it is a decent one.
I have to replace my batteries every month or so =/

I play 6 hours a day though.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
I play arround 3 hour's a day..

I have my EMG's now for about 5 month's and my battery still does his job..
(got the EMG PRO KH20 Kirk Hammett)
Love them.. xD
Gear:

Richwood LP Custom Black (with Gibson P490R & T Pu's)
Ibanez GRX 40 (with EMG's)

Hughes&Kettner Tour Reverb Head
London city 2x 12" cabinet
I don't see why are so many people so fascinated with EMGs... They've got absolutely no dynamics, they're so flat and dead and boring, what is there to like? The only thing that's 'good' about them is their ultra high output, but there are plenty other decent pickups out there that can do the same without making your sound so flat...

All of that is, of course, my own personal opinion.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
I don't see why are so many people so fascinated with EMGs... They've got absolutely no dynamics, they're so flat and dead and boring, what is there to like? The only thing that's 'good' about them is their ultra high output, but there are plenty other decent pickups out there that can do the same without making your sound so flat...

All of that is, of course, my own personal opinion.

I have EMGs, and I totally agree with you.