Is it worth up dating my Johnson strat?
Sure it has an alder body but Vai's guitar is alder!

What I would like to do is replace the neck tuners and bridge.

Would you guys think it would be a smart idea to?
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
Alder is generally considered a good tonewood, so there aren't really any problems with that.
No one of the is alder, his bad horsie is bass wood.
Is regular JEM for sale is Alder.

Look here.

I thought ive read that alder was shit wood somewhere. Ah well.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
They may have the same kind of wood but the quality of the wood is going to be much different. All the Johnson guitars I have seen are budget guitars with cheap wood. I'd upgrade your Epi instead.
Quote by Down Shifter
Is it worth up dating my Johnson strat?
Sure it has an alder body but Vai's guitar is alder!

What I would like to do is replace the neck tuners and bridge.

Would you guys think it would be a smart idea to?

Have you given some thought to what are you trying to accomplish? Are there specific things that dissatisfy you about the guitar? Start there.

As others have said, alder is a fine tonewood and typical on Strats. Its a component of its sound. Unless you're trying to alter its tone, leave it alone.

Regards,

Rob
It mainly wont hold its tune even when I do a simple bend. So id like to somehow fix that. Ive also damaged the head of the guitar, due to no strap locks on it the head smacked the ground and now has splits and a piece missing with a crocked tuning peg. I love this guitar mainly due to it being my first guitar and I want to keep using it.
Id like to put maybe a hot rail in the bridge and maybe find some used stock Fender pick up for the mid and neck pick up. Just the new neck tuners and bridge may kill me.
I believe its those three things that are causing the tunning problem. Right? Or could it be due to something else?

Anyways here are the pictures of the headstock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/wonderingrocker/100_1812.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/wonderingrocker/100_1811.jpg

Edit: Ive been considering putting a Tremonti Bridge PRS Pickup in my LP but im not sure if its worth the 115 or not. Seems a lil spendy to me.
Of course this is all planing in the future I tend on doing this after I get a new amp.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
Last edited by Down Shifter at Feb 5, 2007,
I'd buy a new neck.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
No. That's unneccesary. Aftermarket necks might not fit it, as well.

I haven't heard anything good, really about the hot rails...If you're looking for a fatter sound in the bridge, you might be able to change it to a humbucker if you have the right routing underneath the pickguard. Otherwise, Seymour Duncan makes some nice higher output single coils. I'm particularly fond of the SSL-5 I have in my Strat. Their SSL-1's also have some greatn vintage glassy tones.

I'd say, change the tuners and get a graphite nut. That might mix your tuning problems. Also, buy some guitar lubrication. I use Guitar Grease. Slip some of it under the bridge, where the screws are, so they return to pitch easier, and also put some on the bottom of the string trees on the neck. About tuners, locking tuners would go a long way. I recommend Sperzel locking tuners.