Looking at moving away from bass, thinking of either a Roland TD-6KX or a Yamaha DTXpress IV Special.. sorry for posting here but all the drum forums i've found so far have given me useless feedback.. so any drummers, please help

both are around the 1000 pound mark, the yamaha being 200 cheaper, but it has an extra cymbal and the sound module seems to have more training functions so am tempted on that one as just starting out on drums and might gain more from the functions on the yamaha, though have heard that "rolands are better", still waiting for a genuine reason as to why though....

cheers all
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

I seriously wouldn't recommend e-drums.

Simply because it takes away from the feel of actually playing (that is, of course my opinion).

The way I started was with screw-drivers on my legs. Lot's of cuts followed, but I got alot better

However, if you aren't allowed to have an acoustic kit due to sound problems, I recommend a kit of practice pads. Now, the reason I prefer these to electric kits is because with electric kits, they aren't very responsive to dynamics. Sure, there may be some sensitivity there, but not as much as a real kit. So if you get the practice pads, that aren't triggers, then you can hear for yourself when you're hitting them hard or soft, despite them not making much noise.

But ultimately, it's up to you

Woah, essay post
Yeah ideally i'd rather an acoustic, main reasons i want an electric though is due to space restriction as well as sound, also a lot easier to move about and record, aside from the acoustic/electric debate though, do you reckon one would be far superior to the other? i mean is getting a roland really worth another 200 odd quid, reason i'm not sure is basically that i've tried the roland but the yamaha is a new model and shop in the uk seems to have one on the floor yet.. and i know i wouldn't buy a bass without trying it first, but then i know what i'm looking for, with a drum kit, i could hit both but with my ability at the moment it probably wouldn't help me decide anyway..
Quote by MastaBassist10

I would suggest getting an older Roland kit. I'm not positive on the currency rates between our countries, but I think 1000 pounds should be enough to get one of the older top of the range models. I did have a look at the Roland you're looking at, and it still seems like it would do the job.

EDIT: I also checked out the Yamaha kit, and it seems like it isn't as good, mainly because of the rubber pads for the drums (they just don't respond as well).
Last edited by fleaflicker182 at Feb 4, 2007,
You want an electric kit for ease of movement?

haha. have fun plugging ten million little wires in EVERYWHERE.

Just kidding. I've actually never owned an e kit, but i had to play one once for a school concert, and i really didn't like it.

in all honesty, if you've got a 1000 pounds to blow, get a decent level acoustic set. I bought mine with cymbals for $1450 australian... so thats prolly close to the same.

Anyway. back to your questions. Rolands are good. the DTxpress by Yamaha should be pretty good i think. play both of them before you try them. if you can't try them out, then maybe don't buy them, cuz do you really want to feel like you've wasted your money?

i'd try. www.onlinedrummer.com

they've got a good forum going on. takes a while to get answers to questions, but the ppl have experience.

good luck anyway. and try playing around on a kit before you go ahead and buy one.

nothing worse than a lot of money sitting around in some cupboard cuz you got frustrated.
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
i'm no drummer, but when i was considering getting a kit, i was pretty much told that acoustic is cheaper and better. i didnt end up getting a kit though, because i am too poor from saving up for a jackson

mind you i did see a hot vid with some dude in an office playing on an electric kit

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJHk4hSFB4

it will blow your mind
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
Of the two you're considering, I'd reccomend the Roland. A friend of mine has the Roland (or at least on simalar) and I've played a simalar-level Yamaha in a shop and the Roland was definitely better.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
my drummer has a yamaha.its good for recording but other than that an acoustic kit is much better
Hmmm, im on mixed opinions when it comes to electric drums. They are really good fun for a bout 3 hours, and then you get bored and realise that the dynamics are very limited, and you cant experiment with tunings etc.

I suppose the best comparrison would be a grand paino and a korg zxz99029292823FX
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by olif8
I seriously wouldn't recommend e-drums.

Simply because it takes away from the feel of actually playing (that is, of course my opinion).

The way I started was with screw-drivers on my legs. Lot's of cuts followed, but I got alot better

However, if you aren't allowed to have an acoustic kit due to sound problems, I recommend a kit of practice pads. Now, the reason I prefer these to electric kits is because with electric kits, they aren't very responsive to dynamics. Sure, there may be some sensitivity there, but not as much as a real kit. So if you get the practice pads, that aren't triggers, then you can hear for yourself when you're hitting them hard or soft, despite them not making much noise.

But ultimately, it's up to you

Woah, essay post

I'd listen to this guy, he has one sound mind.

great i've now gone from deciding to buy a roland to deciding a yamaha to now reconsidering an acoustic.. i'm even more indecisive since before i posted... but thanks for the opinions.. it seems acoustic better, electric more practical unless you own a sound proof bunker or deaf neighbours.. my only other reasoning for getting an electric is the option of playing to a good metronome and being able to jam to songs easily, by running the mp3 through the sound module, bearing in mind i'm a beginner this option i reckon would help me out.. though on the flip of the coin the pads are more forgiving than on an acoustic.. oh i dont know, you'd have thought it would be easy enough to spend a grand on a credit card.. but no...
Quote by MastaBassist10

If youre goin acoustic, look for a good secondhand drum kit. Dont buy new, you can spend the rest of the money on some good cymbals.

the top 3 kits id recomend are the Tama rockstar, The premier Cabria, and the Pearl Export.

Dont buy fusion sizes unless you want your drums to be real dead
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
funnily enough was just looking at a pearl export on gak, think i can pick up a new one for around £600, what makes a good cymbal? everyone seems to go on about them but i have no idea what is a good and what is a bad cymbal cheers, still tempted by the electric but am going to look into acoustic methinks..
Quote by MastaBassist10

ebay is your friend.

From experience, buy Paiste Cymbals. They are far better then Zlidjian and Sabian. Id reccomend you save for paistes 2002.

I wouldnt rate the pearl as good as the tama. The new pearl exports are made from a much softer poplar wood then the original hardwoods they were made from originaly. They are good, but the plastic wraps tend to crinkle off the export as it is so sensitive to heat changes

After the Rockstar, go for the cabria. They are good kits for the money with hardware included. Theyre made from a harder basswood thats more resilant and have Rim mounts. To my ear, they sound very similar to the old 60's premier kits, a very bright livley boom, rather then a studio sounding "thud"

...ebay. Tama rockstar. Now.
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
The yamaha ones i would reccomend
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
My drummer uses a mix of electric and acoustic drums. Can't remember what it's called, but he has the electric snare that Danny Carey uses, and an electric hi hat, the rest being acoustic (he also has an acoustic snare in the set up).... he's a firm believer that electric components should only be used to compliment the acoustic medium.
Quote by bloke
i want an electric though is due to space restriction as well as sound, also a lot easier to move about and record,

they are easier to move around, but once set up, they take up about the same space as an acoustic kit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...