What's your budget? Playing preferences?

I'd normally recommend either a micro cube or a Vox AD15VT...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
ok amp, nowt special though and you cant use pedals...
ive got 1 and am selling it soon for a marshall
Yeah don't go for the Spider. There are much better starter amps that you can get in that price range, like Roland and Vox.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Read this forum any length of time and you will find it is popular to bash them. I like them for practice amp myself. Pretty nice that you can get so many sounds out of 1 amp. If you like how it sounds then get it and forget the opinions that will be expressed here soon.
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
I think it sucks. It sounds awfully artificial, lacks dynamics and is just...boring. I agree with Alliwant. Get a Vox Valvetronix for classic rock stuff, or a Roland Cube for more punk and metal type music.

EDIT: I have actually tried a Spider II and really didn't like it.
Quote by alliwant
What's your budget? Playing preferences?

I'd normally recommend either a micro cube or a Vox AD15VT...

Budget is around £200
and i like almost everything lol so an all around amp if there is such a thing
the spider is ultra versatile, so if you like many different genres (and you are a beginner who cant distinguish between small nuances in tone), then the spider may be good, but a vox valvetronics would be better (and is also very versatile, but lower gain). a cube is good for high gain stuff, but is less versatile
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Ok thanks very much, and what do you think about a guitar? (I have one atm but want a new one)

Budget: Around £400-500
Preference: i like almost all types of music

Cheers,

Ben
Quote by nightwalker903
ok amp, nowt special though and you cant use pedals...
ive got 1 and am selling it soon for a marshall
you can use pedals with it lol just turn all your effects off and eq your clean channel properly and woilla ... as for going for marshall.. i wouldn't i have a DSL and despise it to hell in a hand cart and back, i say go for a randall! awesome sound! as for the dude at the tops query in to the line 6 id say that is a ****in awesome starter amp, gives you a far better tone than a micro cube and is well worth the money !
aye id go for an ibanez! and please please please dont go for a vox! they are seriously terrible! line 6 for an awesome rectifier sound, good classic rock and awesome cleans aswell!
the amp is good for practice and can get many different sounds but after a year it aint doing much for me anymore.... as for guitar maybe a epi les paul standard or custom because they are all round guitars, good distorted good cleans
for 400-500, I'd recomend the PRS SE, al of them fit right within your budget. THe Singlecut (Les Paul style) PRS SE is very nice, played it, smooth as butter, I'd recommend it over any high end epiphone.

As for the amp, I would save up 50pounds, get a fender pro tube amp and gradually get pedals for it, its proably going to be a good investment.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by Guitar_Gangster
GUYS yours supposed to help me! now i have ppl sayin different things all over the shop lmao

=((((((

the spider does many different sounds, but none of them particularly well.
the vox does the ones it does do a lot better. but for a first amp, they'll both do very well. however, dont blow too much on begginer gear, as youll probly get better stuff later on, and begginer stuff is really just to get playing on and seeing if you really like guitar (or other instruments and stuff)
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Quote by OldRhoadsFan
If you like how it sounds then get it and forget the opinions that will be expressed here soon.

I think the whole point of him coming here was to get opinions......

TS personally I hate the Spider and would suggest the Cube or Vox aswell. Cube if metal is your thing, Vox for just about everything else.
Ok thanks very much, and what do you think about a guitar? (I have one atm but want a new one)

Budget: Around £400-500
Preference: i like almost all types of music

Cheers,

Ben

Shift £100 from your guitar budget to your amp budget and you've got much better options with around £300.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-112/380
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/lc-30-ii/382
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-valve-king-112/68946
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14396
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
who keeps telling begginers to get line 6's? all the begginers ask me what amp to get and they say they want the line 6? is this just becuase it has lots'o'effects? If you are just starting now like right now i would suggest the standerd peavy amp its a safe choice for a begginer i just wouldnt want you to start down the wrong route with our guitar playing.
Quote by turbopresh
you can use pedals with it lol just turn all your effects off and eq your clean channel properly and woilla

R E G G A E
Quote by steven seagull

The Seagull, once again, pwns j00.

i think the effects appeal to people because if you're a beginner you can use effects without spending alot of money, i wanted one because it sounded great to my n00b ears but now i cant stand it, dont like the tone at all
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
go for the Fender G-DEC i got one and its amazing. you have plenty of effects at your disposal, many drum, bass and accompaniment patterns, and you can record a lick and play over it. its a perfect amp for a beginner and it is perfect as a practice amp too
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
oh yeah i remember using that when i worked at a guitar shop for short while, people use to try guitars out using that, thats what i played the jackson rr3 eps trucker, gibson lp classic and gibson sg faded... i remember now, not bad amp for digital better than a spider
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass