Say I know the mixolydian, and aeolian postions of all the notes, on the fretboard, along with all the shapes of the pentatonic scale. How do I use something like:

[font="Courier New"]e|-------------------------5-(8)-----|
B|--------------------5-8------------|
G|---------------5-7-----------------|
D|----------5-7----------------------|
A|-----5-7---------------------------|
E|-5-8-------------------------------|[/FONT]

in making a solo?

Could you please post some examples, using techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, etc? Nothing too hard, though.

I'd really appreciate one example with a, somewhat, romantic edge, and another one with a more aggresive feel.

Cheers,
ST
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Personally i like to use the whole scale instead of just pentatonics, unless im improvising a more classic rock solo. I would use the major scale for a more romantic solo, but the minor scale could work also. I would use the minor scale for a more aggressive solo. Sorry but i cant be bothered doing examples, just listen to what your fav. guitarists do in their solos, learn a few of your fav. solos and steal some licks. Its what i did. Find a few backing tracks and figure out what sounds good to you.
Quote by Kensai
Because 14 yr olds + teh internetz = liez

I made that up in math class.

Quote by Random Youtube Kid
Michael Romeo- You think he plays fast? You should watch him eat cream pies.
I asked for examples, dude. Tabbed solos for me using the scales I've mentioned above!
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
Say I know the mixolydian, and aeolian postions of all the notes, on the fretboard, along with all the shapes of the pentatonic scale. How do I use something like:

[font="Courier New"]e|-------------------------5-(8)-----|
B|--------------------5-8------------|
G|---------------5-7-----------------|
D|----------5-7----------------------|
A|-----5-7---------------------------|
E|-5-8-------------------------------|[/FONT]

in making a solo?

Could you please post some examples, using techniques like hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, etc? Nothing too hard, though.

I'd really appreciate one example with a, somewhat, romantic edge, and another one with a more aggresive feel.

Cheers,
ST

You shouldn't be asking about how to use modes if you don't know how to use a first position pentatonic scale.
Hmm?

I've never studies/used pentatonics. I stated out with learning the C Major scale, and all it's positions. Then, I learned the positions of all the modes (Ionian, Aeolian, Mixolydian, etc). Just started with Pentatonics.
Myspace Streaming Only

Just get some backing tracks, you want a book called giants of blues.. LOADS good backing tracks and example solos by all the greats! Really shows you HOW to use scales. Seriously a great book! ... dont be put off cus its blues if ur not into that!... if you wana solo like the greats .. you start with blues!!!... OR get a teacher!
Quote by sTx
I asked for examples, dude. Tabbed solos for me using the scales I've mentioned above!
Dude no one is going to write a solo for you, tab it and post it on here fit to your specifications. I think i my post was informative enough other wise i wouldn't of spent 10 minutes writing it. Just because i didnt spoon feed it to you doesn't mean it won't help you if you care to read it. You know books without pictures can be good too. Though if you must have it your way: Save Tonight by Eagle Eye Cherry has a nice romantic solo in Am/C. 4 Degrees by Tool has a slightly more driven, pentatonic based solo i think (don't quote me on that). You can find the tabs to those as your quite capable im sure.
Quote by Kensai
Because 14 yr olds + teh internetz = liez

I made that up in math class.

Quote by Random Youtube Kid
Michael Romeo- You think he plays fast? You should watch him eat cream pies.