i have had a fender squier strat for almost 4 years now and ive been playing for the same amount of time and although i love my guitar i think i want to buy a new one just to have a change. i love my fender for the good old minor pentatonic and hendrix and clapton etc but im starting to get more into metal, shred, and jazz guitar and i want to know which guitar ppl recomend for those styles
for anyone that plays jazz, metal or shred, which guitars do u use and how are they for it?
Les Pauls are good for pretty much any style, if im recommending i more than likely say epi lp
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
ok cheers,
any particular reason why you all recommended the guitars that u did just so i know?
neck width for example or tone?

how about string types and gauges for those same styles?
i only use epi lps at the moment, i actually got one because i saw slash use one and i love guns and roses so it was like i am owning a les paul and i dont regret it.
i like the neck although if you are playing alot of fast stuff there a big too big, the wood is thick and mahogony and gives great tone, cleans are great sounds good with distortion, can play anything from blues to punk to thrash and it all sounds good.

today i was playing knockin on heavens door, then i played raining blood straight after after tuning back to E standard, pretty different styles...

its a very versitile guitar and i think i will always be using them except eventually gibsons ill play other guitars but LP's are definatly for me

i use 9's and 10's but prefer 9s probs not as good for heavy metal but i like the feel of them.. its all down to choice
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
For jazz I would also recommend and Epiphone SG, I have had one now for the past three years, and it seems made specifically for jazz to be honest, which was something of a disappointment for me, since I didnt really want to play any jazz !

Good luck finding a guitar that suits though.
Quote by Reapersoul
For jazz I would also recommend and Epiphone SG, I have had one now for the past three years, and it seems made specifically for jazz to be honest, which was something of a disappointment for me, since I didnt really want to play any jazz !

Good luck finding a guitar that suits though.
If you're going to get an Epiphone SG, get the G-400 coz the other ones like the Special and the G-310 are crap
ok thanks a lot for the all advice and ive taken into account everything thats been said. epiphone les paul sounds good because so many people recommended it and ive emailed my guitar mentor (lol) as he's about 50 and has much more experience than me to give his advice, and after that its really down to price as im on a very small budget

any more advice would still be appreciated

cheers
I would say go for the Epiphone SG for Jazz.
For Metal get an ibanez or jackson
Gear:

ESP KH II Vintage
Dean Dime Razorback Slime BumbleBee
Fender Stratocaster
Jackson King V
Line 6 Spider III 150w
Marshall MG100HDFX
Roland Cube 30w
Zoom 505 II
Line 6 Floor Pod
Monster Cables
What's your price range?
What amp do you have?

For true versatility, just get more than one guitar... no guitar can cover everything! :p

Anyways, I say Ibanez RG. They are very versatile.
Quote by Mwoit
What's your price range?
What amp do you have?

For true versatility, just get more than one guitar... no guitar can cover everything! :p

Anyways, I say Ibanez RG. They are very versatile.

my amps just a shitty fender frontman 15G, not bad distortion on it but not very good for playing more than just fiddlin about in my room

price range im not really sure, prolly less than 500£, i dont know how far that will get me tho

if i could buy many guitars i would lol but i think a fender strat, despite being a squier, and one other like an ibanez, epiphone or gibson should be versatile enough for most music
Jackson rhoads series
Quote by Timothy Leary
They've outlawed the number one vegetable on the planet.

Start a fire for a man and keep him warm for a day, start that same man on fire and he will be warm for life.
Quote by CAPTAINBEEFHEAR
my amps just a shitty fender frontman 15G, not bad distortion on it but not very good for playing more than just fiddlin about in my room

price range im not really sure, prolly less than 500£, i dont know how far that will get me tho

if i could buy many guitars i would lol but i think a fender strat, despite being a squier, and one other like an ibanez, epiphone or gibson should be versatile enough for most music

Personally, I'd get a new amp because a good amp can cover more tones than a good guitar. Also, amp makes up most of your sound as opposed to your guitar, so you're better off getting a new amp. Alternatively, you could split your money and get both an amp and guitar.

At £500, you could get an Ibanez RG1570, which is more geared towards shred but it IS a versatile guitar.

At £500, you could get a 2nd hand ENGL Screamer or Thunder, I hear they are bloody amazing and I'm saving up for one myself. If you want something brand new... can't really think of anything.

Quote by blue_strat
washburn x50pro

Forgot about that one, at £350 it's a good guitar with proper SD's and coil tapping. Versatile!
im leaning towards an ibanez, probably an RG.
i was in my local music shop talking to a worker and he said that even though its not specifically for jazz, an ibanez would do fine for playing jazz and many more styles so that sounds good.
i cant remember what he said about the specific type tho, he said something about pickups, i think he said a single pickup ibanez but oh well

ive been looking at RG's but theres quite a lot of them, on the ibanez website its got the prestige, the tremolo, and the fixed...what are the main differences between them, and which would everyone recommend?

if you really know your ibanez RG's, the prestige has 13 varieties, the tremolo has 10 and the fixed has 3,,,any recommendations to narrow my choice down even more?
rg321 (hard tail)
rg1570 (tremelo)
rg2550 (tremelo)

those are the RGs id recommend anyways

or an S470....
which would be the best for staying in tune after using a whammy bar? my fender is a nightmare for detuning itself, i dont even have to use the whammy bar, just bend the strings a bit and its out, but i hear ibanez's have a different type of whammy bar to fender's thats specially for staying in tune, is that true?
Quote by CAPTAINBEEFHEAR
which would be the best for staying in tune after using a whammy bar? my fender is a nightmare for detuning itself, i dont even have to use the whammy bar, just bend the strings a bit and its out, but i hear ibanez's have a different type of whammy bar to fender's thats specially for staying in tune, is that true?

Most of Ibanez's tremolo equipped guitars have a Floyd Rose-style system. It keeps the guitar in tune almost no matter what, but it can be tricky to set up. Some people will tell you it's incredibly difficult, but it's not. Several other brands also use Floyd-style trems, they're very popular for metal/shred. For more info, just search for FLoyd Rose in the lessons section.

I agree with the people who recommend the Ibanez RG1570. It plays real nice, and is a solid and versatile guitar. It sounds better when you get rid of the stock pickups, but you can buy the guitar first, then save up for some hotter ones. I use DiMarzio pickups (ToneZone and Classic Air), and they offer a great range of tones.
ive checked out the rg1570 and the neck size looks good and it has good features.

it doesnt mention the floyd rose system on the webpage anywhere but it doesnt mention it on any other guitars either so would i be right in assuming that it comes built in and thats why they dont bother to mention it?

also while were on the subject of tremolos what exactly is the edge pro? ive heard it mentioned on a few sites but im not sure what it is

on gak.co.uk the RG1570 is £445, this sounds quite reasonable but any thoughts?

also, what are jumbo frets? are they bigger than normal frets, because my hands are pretty average sized and i dont want frets that are huge. right now i play a fender squier strat and the frets are fine but i could handle bigger since i have an ibanez ergodyne bass,,,are the jumbo frets any bigger than on a standard ibanez bass?
cheers
^Yes the frets are bigger; hence "jumbo" frets. You should try one out in a store to see if you like the neck. It's thin and flat as hell.

The Edge Pro is Ibanez's take on the Floyd Rose system. Some say that it is even better than the original system...

£445 is a good price for it.
yeah im goin to brighton in a few days theres a few guitar shops there and ill try it out. that should be the last thing i need to test, if im fine with the jumbo frets then i think ive picked my guitar
ok now to the subject of strings. for shred and metal mainly what strings would everyone recommend?

i asked before and sum1 sed 9s or 10s for metal, any other opinions?