I've been playing my guitar for like a week now and I'm a complete newbie... maybe half an hour to an hour a day, just messing around with silly little tabs and a few chords and stuff. I want to learn a full song, though, and I have a Nirvana guitar book, so... I'm trying to learn Smells Like Teen Spirit. Anyways (besides the awkward positions I have to conform my undersized hands to) my only real problem is strumming. When I've been messing around I've always just used down-strums, but this song calls for them up... If I strum up, it feels awkward and my pick catches, and I have no control over it. Could I be holding the pick wrong, or something? When I strum down I feel like I slightly angle my hand so that the pick almost sweeps over the strings... but when I come back up, am I supposed to twist my wrist or something so that I angle the pick back upwards? Or am I just holding it wrong?

I don't really know how to explain.. I guess, maybe just a basic explanation of how to strum correctly? Thanks.
Just try have a tight wrist strumming down, and a looser one coming up, try holding the pick closer and farther from the tip. Alot of people have problems with that.
Quote by nick dixon
Mine usally takes about 40-50mins. Just leave it while you do somthing else. What you choose to do in 40 minutes is completley up to you, but I usally carve small aniamls made from pieces of coal.

Whos takes 50minutes? seriously
or try just useing only your wrist, minimal arm movment
Quote by nick dixon
Mine usally takes about 40-50mins. Just leave it while you do somthing else. What you choose to do in 40 minutes is completley up to you, but I usally carve small aniamls made from pieces of coal.

Whos takes 50minutes? seriously
- keep your wrist nice and loose, but not so the pick falls off.
- do most of the movement with your wrist.
- just practice strumming.

it will come eventually.
Interesting, I to am trying to improve strumming like everything!.

Your arm does move but you don't strum with the arm right? If i try use just my wrist it doesn't work, the arm moves slightly.. ah how do you explain, you don't JUST use the wrist?
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
When I strum down I feel like I slightly angle my hand so that the pick almost sweeps over the strings... but when I come back up, am I supposed to twist my wrist or something so that I angle the pick back upwards?QUOTE]

Thumbs up. Go for that and keep it in mind when yer strumming.