I'm going to check out a friend's laney lc-30II amp that he claims is hardly used...he said he'll give it to me for 400 dollars...is there anything specific I should check/see? Thanks.
how can i make sure the valves are good, they've never been replaced...(it's my first tube amp)
Ask him how long he's had it, and ask him if it has decreased in volume/clarity at all? (if he is a friend that won't stiff you of course)
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
You want to plug in and hear it cranked. Make sure the speaker's fine. You want to turn each knob individually to see if there's any crackling in the pots. Make sure every knob does what it's supposed to do.

If it's a rather young amp, it shouldn't have any issues at all.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ +1
check to see if fuse is blown and/or any other electronic problems
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Plug in, turn the master up, the gain only loud enough to be clear sounding. Strum a big clear open cord wait and listen for the decay. It should be clear and smooth and sustain as well as your guitar can. Any fizz or skitchiness is usually an ungood tube or cold bias. Play it LOUD and clean. Leave enough space around notes to listen for how the amp responds. Play notes together around the 12th fret, listen for any weird modulations. Run each control back and forth. Gently jiggle the plug in each input jack. While holding a chord hit the amp on the top with your fist. Do it while not playing anything. Any noise is a bad thing. Crank it up and see if you enjoy it and it makes you want to play. Be very gentle jiggling the speaker jack, you don't want to unplug it and hurt the amp while you're playing, but you do want to make sure it is solid.

Get comfortable with the idea that any used gear might require service. You might make a deal to split any repair costs.

Ron