ive been playing guitar for a year already, and im farmiliar(sp?)with the pentatonic scale(magor and minor) and i know alot of licks on em', enough to fill like 2 minuets and more if i do a solo with a back track or with a friend.i can really shred on them like hell and also blues on em, but thats probably the only scale i know! i can do chords good, but i dont know any theory on scales, just a bunfh of licks that i can play fast and make em sound good!

am i in a bad situation for not knowing more? because i think i made preety much anything i can do with them......and i envy guys who been playing for 5 years and can write books on this stuff................

can someone advise me?
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
dude, its not about what we think.

if you are happy with your current progress, and you feel that you are moving at a good pace, thats all that matters.
I've been playing for almost a year and from what you said, you are probably better than me. My advice: Don't even worry about it. Everyone has their own pace.

Edit: If you do want to compare since I've been playing roughly the same time as you. I am also only familiar with the pentatonic scales. I can't "shred" on them but I guess I can make up some decently sounding licks. The toughest solo I can do is probably the one from stairway to heaven and obviously that isn't an extremely hard thing to play.
Last edited by Masamune at Feb 4, 2007,
Listen to them ^^ (That's my advice)
Updates|Chat|Forums|Contests|Monkeys|Your AccountUsername:████████
Password:████████
LOGIN!
HIGHVOLTAGE45+ Join Today!

Privacy Policy|About|Contact|Advertise|Voltage Inc.©
Well thanks.....you really pumped up my ego her....lol.....
your right i dont need to care wht other people think!(goes off to save the world)
Quote:
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
Dude, if you're as good as you said, then you're way better than me, and I've been playing for 5 years, 4 of which I had a teacher

Why don't you look at scales used in modern metal? They use a lot of wierd scales, and when combined with some pentatonic licks it sounds really effective.

What you suck at is spelling.
Duuude. The Pit is full of pre-pubescent 13 and 14 year olds who pretend to be Steve Vai because it gives them a boner.

Ignore our opinions (generally) and, if you're happy with how your playing is, then that's all that matters.
R E G G A E
LEARN THEORY, it will make a HUGE difference.
The Only member of the "I hate people with huge sigs club." Don't PM me to join.
um....is learning standard notation a part of theory?
Quote:
yeah everyone move at a diffeerent pace, dont worry about where you are unless you plan on doing this for your living. Then i wold suggest practicing more becuase then you prolly are behind. My suggestion is......spend less time on UG,video games, and all together laziness and more time playing guitar. Becuase i have been getting lessons for a little over a year now and i know all my chords down pat and i know like every scale as well. But i never put down my guitar its all i do, plus i have been playing with a band practilly since i started playing guitar and i think being in a band really helps for starting off.
Last edited by hendrixrocks4 at Feb 4, 2007,
Really repends on who you are comparing to. To the average person I would say yes you are doing much better than the average person. But if you are comparing yourself to me nah I pwn you.

As a side note theory isn't important unless you want to play guitar with other sounds. For just raw skil theory isn't important.
Quote by shooky
and i envy guys who been playing for 5 years and can write books on this stuff................

patience my friend, patience
you suck.

i didnt read it.

EDIT: Enough spam, im pretty much asking for bannination.
i highey advise learning theory as it really helped me switch from piano to guitar, and so on. alot of music theory is also movable, so it will help you in the logn run. also as i teach guitar, the main problem i see is people coming in with guitar proficiency, but no knowledge of theory. So if you could get theory down it will be like a jumpstart in your guitar life journey
</gayness>
A Seven Nation army couldn't hold me back.
Last edited by chillininfl at Feb 4, 2007,
I didnt know any scales whatsoever and couldnt solo worth crap after I had been playing for a year. So your already better than I was at that point in my playing. But yeah, learn some music theory. It'll help a lot.
Make sure you can improvise good, write some stuff, got good rhythym technique, know alot of chords then your set
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Purely for the fact that you actually said, "or do I don't?" I'm going to say that you definitely suck.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by The Ted
Really repends on who you are comparing to. To the average person I would say yes you are doing much better than the average person. But if you are comparing yourself to me nah I pwn you.

As a side note theory isn't important unless you want to play guitar with other sounds. For just raw skil theory isn't important.

er..........no. Playing music is a combination of being able to play something, and understanding how it all fits together, making theory a very important part of learning a musical instrument. If you don't know theory, it's very much harder to connect your musical voice with that of other instruments.

And the "I pwn you" comment isn't useful, even if it is sarcastic, which I don't think it is. You must have a HUGE ego.
Yes, you suck at spelling and grammar and being able to put your point across in a legible sentence.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Well.. You don't not suck at grammar..
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
As long as you're happy then good for you. Get ready to get your ass owned by a professional when you meet dedicated guitarists or teachers though. It always happens. Whenever you think you're good, there'll always be someone who can crush you. But you learn than way. Just learn your theory and skill will come gradually. Going to English class will make you look not stupid too.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
er..........no. Playing music is a combination of being able to play something, and understanding how it all fits together, making theory a very important part of learning a musical instrument. If you don't know theory, it's very much harder to connect your musical voice with that of other instruments.

And the "I pwn you" comment isn't useful, even if it is sarcastic, which I don't think it is. You must have a HUGE ego.

Eh-erm I stand by what I say theory is not import unless you are playing with other sounds. This is the reason on most Led Zeppelin solos all instruments stops except Jimmy Page and Bonham, so Jimmy Pages has much more freedom to do what he wants. Also without knowing any bit of theory myself and still sounding good as long as it is just me... I am pr'sure theory is no where near important for the hobby guitarist.
No in all honesty the I pwn you comment was completely serious, and yes I have the biggest ego you will ever meet. But the comment was made for 2 reason. First reason is that level of progress depends on who you are comparing it to since there is no set standard. Also self praise, because no one here is praising me adequately enough
Quote by NovemberRain273
Yes, you suck at spelling and grammar and being able to put your point across in a legible sentence.

I see you yourself aren't as good as grammar as you thought you were. You have two clauses in that sentence. The first one is the spelling and grammar clause. The other clause is the illogical statement. Since you have two clauses in the sentence you either need a comma, or a semicolon. Seeing as you are using a conjunction, then the comma is the correct choice of punctuation
ok enough with the grammer jokes.....its like 2 in the morning her....i didnt ask you how my spelling was......i beleeve eet dus nat saak....(i meant to do that...)
Quote:
Quote by The Ted
No in all honesty the I pwn you comment was completely serious, and yes I have the biggest ego you will ever meet. But the comment was made for 2 reason. First reason is that level of progress depends on who you are comparing it to since there is no set standard. Also self praise, because no one here is praising me adequately enough

Well, fair enough to your theory comment. I still hold it in high regard, and make sure my students learn theory alongside their playing, even if they are "hobby guitarists."

However, the rest of the quote as seen above.... dear God. Firstly, progress shouldn't be compared. Progress is progress, it doesn't have a set standard, like you said, so it can't be measured.

And the best musicians don't need praise. They realise that it's all about the music, not some stupid little list saying how good they are in the eyes of Joe Bloggs. No-one likes an egotistical person.
Quote by The Ted

I see you yourself aren't as good as grammar as you thought you were. You have two clauses in that sentence. The first one is the spelling and grammar clause. The other clause is the illogical statement. Since you have two clauses in the sentence you either need a comma, or a semicolon. Seeing as you are using a conjunction, then the comma is the correct choice of punctuation

I stand corrected.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Wtf? I just re-read this thread. How the hell should we know if you're good or not? Post a video of you playing or something. Telling us what you know isn't really a good idea. I could say I'm as good as Chris Broderick after playing for 2 years but that doesn't mean it's true.
learn more scales, more chords, some theory and just play to your hearts content
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
Quote by andrewbiles
Purely for the fact that you actually said, "or do I don't?" I'm going to say that you definitely suck.

+1

But in all seriousness, I'd say you're doing well.

I've been playing for a little less time than you have, and it seems like you're ahead of me. I know all forms of the pentatonics, the major and minor scales, a few modes, and some theory, but I really can't apply them or shred on them or make a 2 minute solo.

I guess I'd suggest learning theory and the major/minor scales.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

just for asking us. i can conclude your favorite movie is brokeback mountain, therefor you suck.
Who gives a f*ck, guitar shouldnt be about competing with others, it should be personal do it for you, from what you have said you sound alright, but "Shredding" in pentatonic scales in my opinion sounds boring learn some new stuff. Who are we to judge and why should it matter do it for yourself.
Quote by Krieg Commando
Who gives a f*ck, guitar shouldnt be about competing with others, it should be personal do it for you, from what you have said you sound alright, but "Shredding" in pentatonic scales in my opinion sounds boring learn some new stuff. Who are we to judge and why should it matter do it for yourself.

WTF I picked up guitar just to be beter than all my freinds whom after a few years of playing still didn't sound awesome. And because they said guitar is harder than it looks; I started learning just so I could pwn them at it.
Hahahaha

Lmao @ "magor"
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan