Page 1 of 2
Ive been playing for like 2 months. I play atleast 2-3 hours a day. Ive learned all the open chords and some scales. But I have yet to learn a songall the way through. Ive learned some songs in my guitar beginner book like yankee doodle ect. But I want to play cool songs. It seems like I learn just the beginning of a song thats it. Like I sit there all day trying to learn a song i.e unholy confessions by ax7. I spent the whole day and just got the begginning and I still mess up on it. Do you think im getting ahead of myself? What should I do?
well for me ive had my guitar for like 2 years maybe? and ive started playing a LOT this year and when i tried before i was horrible. trust me it was scary. i never wanted to play chords so basically all i could play was the opening to some songs. then one day idk wht happened i just saw the tabs and decided to try out using chords. basically a song u should try out would be disenchanted by my chemical romance...easy song the one tht i can play is the disenchanted shut up and play one tht some one tabbed on here. after you can memorize a song go on to a next one...maybe you should try stumming up and down cause i was lazy and just was strumming down.

sorry i wrote a lot i hope tht helps!
i learned my first song when i was playing for about 2 and half months, its no biggy.
Learn Born of Broken Man by rage, that was my first song, its pretty easy, sounds cool, good song
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
try playing something easier, i basically started with blink and other pop punk cuz that what i like but now ive been playin for like 3 years and im playing more metal stuff, just find things that are pretty easy to play but still challange you
Quote by joshua029
a real guitarist would grow a 3rd arm and play that...
2 months is nothing, you've still barely started. Keep learning the basic stuff and you'll improve gradually. There's no point busting a gut trying to learn something that's too far ahead of your current ability - you've still got shedloads of basic techniques to learn and once you've done that you'll find learning stuff is a much easier. If you learn gradually you'll progress much faster because the next step is only a little further on than the last - if you try and skip too far ahead it not only takes you longer to get there, you also miss out a big chunk of stuff you should have been learning. The end result is you learn less, and you learn it more slowly.

What you're trying to do is learn to race at Daytona before you've learned to drive properly, you CAN do it, but it'll take you much longer and it's a waste of time that you could have been putting to much better use....remember, even Steve Vai wasn't born being able to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ya, i know what that feels like, I've been playing for about two years now and every once in a while i feel like i'm not getting better. so here's what I do, try to learn a song, something simple with three or four chords, even if you can't get it down at least work on the chord changes. remember what song it was. when you start to feel like you haven't improved try to play that same song again, lo and behold suddenly it's not as hard as it used to be. practice those chord changes, start learning new chords, scales, or leads and come back to them after you've been playing. i can suggest some songs if you want.
yeah nirvana's good to try smells like teen spirit first song i learned all the way threw
Quote by joshua029
Two months is a very short time. Understand your going to be learning the rest of your life no matter how good you get. You practice 2-3 hours? Try practicing with a purpose for less time. Run your scales, work on chord progressions, then call it done. When your trying to learn songs call that play time not practice. Use this site for tabs and chords. Get together with one other person and work together,two heads are better than one. Good Luck
Yeah, as said above, you're trying to punch above your weight. Unfortunately most metal is of intermediate or above level, stuff you could look at now includes:

Grunge (Nirvana, Staind, Nickelback)
Punk/Pop-punk (Ramones, Green Day, Blink)
Nu-Metal (Linkin Park, KoRn, Metallica's St Anger album)

Also SOME classic rock, maybe Status Quo or Paranoid by Sabbath (minus the solo).

As for stuff that actually uses the open chords that you've learned, look at The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, etc.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
2 months is nothing.... You just started, give it a chance and it will come. I remember when I first started, guitar seemed impossible, but now I play pretty well. I started to play to be able to write songs, it all depends what you want to learn. It's good that you practice 2-3 hours a day, but don't rush it, just keep practicing, and one day it'll click in.
One more quick question Im new to this site. Is there any lessons on here about chord progressions?
2 months and you know all your open chords? Holly crap...
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
I've been playing for 6months+ now and I feel the same. But me, I don't practice properly.. and that is mainly because I feel im not getting anywhere..
Everything always sounds bad, im always nit picking, its always like aaah my fingers are messed up i'll never play guitar.. then I see other people and think i'll never be that good even though may be younger.
I have a bunch of books by Troy stetina, plus this great site, Guitar pro and more but still i'm lost.

I'm a very negative person though, get low very easy and the guitars just turned into one of those things that wil end up making me feel bad.

Sad isn't it?
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
I would try to get down a good strum, build a good rhythm. I didn't at first, and it took me a while to play a song all the way through.
I got my first guitar when I was 15 - Squier tele I bought of a friend. I still can't believe how hard it was at the start, my fingers hurt, it took an age to do anything and everything sounded like shit. It took me weeks to just be able to consitently hold a chord down and play it cleanly, even longer to change between them. I remember it taking 30 second to change from A to D, and then looking at the G chord in disbelief!

After 3 or 4 months I vividly remember sitting in my room looking at the thing, wondering exactly why it was I'd bought the thing, and why I ever thought I'd be able to play it. It is soooo frustrating at times, because you know the exact sounds you want to be making, but not how to make them. Sometimes, even when you do know how to do something you can't make it happen in practice.

Everyone goes through the same thing, and if you love the music enough you'll get the hang of it. Django Reinhardt only had 2 fingers on his left hand, Tony Iommi lost the tips of 2 fingers, Jeff Healey's blind...if they can overcome those kinds of obstacles then you'll be just fine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ill add that if you get into some private lessons of some kind (or search PickNGrin in the collumn search on this site beacuse hes got some great begginer videos)

the first time I played guitar I played for a month, got pissed because I sucked and quit. Then I picked it up a year later and havnt put it down for four years. I think the main point is if you stick to it no matter how hard it gets and make sure your attempting to learn new things as apposed to playing the same thing over and over you have a pretty good chance to succeed
Hey
Hey im goin through same thing but guy i know says it happens just stick with it, youll play somin it wil sound good and youll get a ***er

Ben
Man im around 8 months now and I just realized how crap I was. I am having trouble playing Hey Joe by Jimmy Hendrix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man im around 8 months now and I just realized how crap I was. I am having trouble playing Hey Joe by Jimmy Hendrix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read this bit again, and understand it.

There's no point busting a gut trying to learn something that's too far ahead of your current ability - you've still got shedloads of basic techniques to learn and once you've done that you'll find learning stuff is a much easier. If you learn gradually you'll progress much faster because the next step is only a little further on than the last - if you try and skip too far ahead it not only takes you longer to get there, you also miss out a big chunk of stuff you should have been learning. The end result is you learn less, and you learn it more slowly.

What you're trying to do is learn to race at Daytona before you've learned to drive properly, you CAN do it, but it'll take you much longer and it's a waste of time that you could have been putting to much better use....remember, even Steve Vai wasn't born being able to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I've been playing for 1,5 year and i never bothered to just learn random chords or scales. I didn't thought i need more then the absolute basic chords (A,D,G) and i was quite right. I would be bored to if i where just randomly playing notes and stuff so my advice would be just learn songs. Songs you like and also some you don't like. First song i learned was summer of 69 and it was just fun to learn. I'm still doing the same thing listening to music and if i hear something that i like i try to play it. (first look up the guitar pro tab of course so you know how it should sound). A site that helped me a lot was www.freelicks.net by the way. A lot of videos + lessons to solo's and songs. By the way in the beginning i mostly learned solo's. i found them much easier because of only needing to hit one note at a time.
In case your thinking this is a bad method think again. At the moment ive nailed the first part of canon in D (just til after the first sweeping part) and i still haven't learned any scales or chords how great is that ? :p
My advice would be just look up the tab of something you like and spend a lot of time learning to play it. It will be hard but also very rewarding.
my gear:
- Caliber limited edition strat copy
- Martinez acoustic
- Ibanez GRG-170 DX
- Rp 150 by digitech
- 35 watt cool amp
- 25 watt megatone amp
- 2 straps
In case your thinking this is a bad method think again. At the moment ive nailed the first part of canon in D (just til after the first sweeping part) and i still haven't learned any scales or chords how great is that ? :p

It worked for you which is great, but it's not particualrly good advice i'm afraid. I've no doubt you're good at what you can do, but because you don't understand it as well as you could you're limited as a musician. It all depends on your goals - if you're only ever going to play for yourself then it's fine, if you want to play with others then you'll find yourself at a severe disadvantage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i agree with seagull, i did that too, i skipped all the open chords barre chords and scales when i first started and now im paying for it cuz i had to go back and learn it, making your own stuff is also a lot easier when you know what you are doing rather than just randomly trying to find notes that sound good just start with the basics so you can build your skill use tabs but dont get swallowed into them like i did, i think that really put a huge dent in where i would be on a musical level today...i hope that all made sense
Quote by joshua029
Yeah I know i didn't use the best learning method but hey for me its about the fun. I only regret not starting with alternate picking straight away cause you lose a lot of speed.
I just think that when you begin playing guitar its important to see lots of progress and the only way to achieving this is (what i think) learning songs. I'm planning on learning those scalethingies by the way during my upcoming 4 month summer holiday
my gear:
- Martinez acoustic
- Ibanez GRG-170 DX
- Rp 150 by digitech
- 35 watt cool amp
- 25 watt megatone amp
- 2 straps
I did the reverse - concentrate on the chords, basic scales, and tried to find material that used it. From there I learned how practice improvisation, and started hitting barre chords fulltime. Now I'm just starting to get comfortable with power chords, and it feels like I'm starting from scratch again, as I learn the need to mute strings when playing with high gain.

What would be awesome would be a breakdown of newbie songs by technique.
something like knocking on heavens door (by bob dylan) = just 3 simple chords played up and down.
smells like teen spirit and all the small things =just simple powerchords + a little muting
anyways i think that you can play anything if you really want to and keep practicing.
my gear:
- Martinez acoustic
- Ibanez GRG-170 DX
- Rp 150 by digitech
- 35 watt cool amp
- 25 watt megatone amp
- 2 straps
And remember the guys you are trying to play are professional musicians. No matter how easy the song may seem. Unless there are only a few easy chord changes.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
i would try to learn smells like teen spirit it is piss easy, four chords basically the same shape and to solo is easy, pre courus is 2 notes u can even do the bass riff, stick at that and it will build up trust me i lernt that before i learnt any other song
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Do you know what fret tapping is.... learn that first.

Practice power chords and stuff... it help.

Work on lead guitar techniques.

Get guitar-pro software it helps like hell (you have to pay for if but you can get it for free and illegally from you-know-where *hint: Whats a green lemon called and what is used to conduct electricity*)

If you can get guitar pro youll be good in no time. The coolest thing bout guitar pro is that it actually plays the song so you can get the song right.
Quote by RHCP94
Green Day should be so proud that there band is better than a bunch of 16 year olds.................medals anyone?

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Gotta love ticked off metal heads.

JAMMER-91

Hare Krishna
2 months is absolutely nothing in guitar time. If you don't feel like you're
any better at all in 2 YEARS, then maybe you shold worry.

I've been learning for about 2 1/2 years (no lessons) and I'm certainly FAR, FAR better
than I was afer 2 months.....but...I still think "Man, I'm never going to be a REAL
guitar player". It's just an ongoing process. In another 2 years, I'll be doing stuff
I could never do right now....and thinking about all the OTHER stuff I can't do yet
then!

Don't listen to the people who tell you that playing guitar is "easy"...it's NOT!
A lot of people lie or exaggerate. A few are just naturally talented.

It might be true that "anyone can play guitar" (it's "easy" in that sense), but
we're talking about an "anyone" who consistently puts the effort into it
for years.
I used to be a necropheliac who was into sadomasochistic bestiality...

...'til I realized I was just beating a
dead horse.
I've been playing for 16 years, and let me tell you I've felt like alot of you here more than once.
Think about it...16 years. I've been playing as long as some of you are old! There are a few small but simple things to keep in mind:
Don't give up. Playing guitar is NOT easy. It requires work, dedication, and love for the music. I know, I know...everyone wants to play their favorite songs in five minutes. But reality is mean master...truth is, it's not gonna happen. And just because you can't play Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, or whatever right away doesn't mean you can't. But there's one little trick I've learned that's always helped me out, and if you remember anything, remember this: don't try to learn too much right away.
If you're working on a song, learn just a small part of it and stop. Move on to something else...scales. chords, whatever. The brain needs time for information to sink in and become permanent. When I'm writing solos for our band's originals, I listen to the rhythm and noodle around to see if anything happens. If something good sticks, I play it over and over, record it, and stop. Then I wait and come back the next day and see if I can pick up where I left off. It's much easier that way. Yeah, sometimes I can get a whole solo in one shot, but I still have to go back and listen to it again and re-learn it.
Bottom line: be patient. You've got a whole lifetime to master the guitar...don't ruin the journey by taking shortcuts, because you'll miss alot of good adventures along the way.
yeah I've been playing years and Avenged Sevenfold is tough for me. Just be patient. It takes a while to get proficient, so just be patient and take things at your own pace.
I think a decent amount of guitar is mental. It certainly determines how effective your practice is, for one. There are a few songs I can play decently well, hitting a great deal of the notes at the proper tempo. But when it gets down to it, I don't *know* the song through and through. I am reciting it. I don't know it well enough to improvise for three measures and then return to the song like nothing happened. I'd need to practice that. Now, when it comes to people who are great at guitar, I have zero doubt that they have honed their skills such that they know the song forwards and backwards. They probably feel the song itself.

I know it sounds like total BS, but I see it in another area of my life. I'm a software developer at work. I remember when I was younger I was teaching myself to program. It was painfully slow, and I tripped over the most basic things. I'd type code in, and think, "what does this do?" and hope it worked. Contrast that to now, where I'm able to look at a block of code and have a decent idea of what it does very quickly. If I'm lucky, I can take a look at a little bit and just know exactly what it does. Or, look at something else, and feel that it is bad or ugly code that needs to be fixed.

I've written for much too long. Hopefully someone gets something out of it.

The one thing I should add: don't measure progress by number of songs or what songs you're playing. Everyone learns at a different rate, and you have to stop comparing yourself to others and start just having fun.
Last edited by antareus at Feb 6, 2007,
All of this has been great advice but everyone has missed out a aspect that helped me immensely.

So once you find an easier song to play try playing as it is supposed to be. If you are making a lot of mistakes, just hit the gain up on your amp to full then practise the bits you are getting worng over and over again....everything sounds good on full gain. Then slowly ween yourself off the gain and I found that by practising it over and over again and not worrying about hitting dead notes I was getting better faster. So then when you reduce the gain you start to see where your still making mistakes so you can try and correct these while still feeling like your able to play the song.

I know it soudns stupid but its a mental thing.....if it sounds good, no matter how crappy your playing it, you'll progress because you want to.
^true if it sounds good enough you'll keep playing it and by that you'll improve
my gear:
- Martinez acoustic
- Ibanez GRG-170 DX
- Rp 150 by digitech
- 35 watt cool amp
- 25 watt megatone amp
- 2 straps
Funny how those that have been playing for years, it took them quite a while to learn songs, riffs, etc, but many of the kids posting here can play quite well after a few months/weeks/days.

I've been "working" on playing for about 4 months. Sometimes it seems like I'm just spinning my wheels. I can play parts of some songs ok, others not so ok. Barre chords are a bear. I'll just keep hanging in there, it will come.

Maybe this thread should required reading before posting about how well you play or think you do.
Page 1 of 2