What is the best way to strip a guitar?

I have looked at heat gun, chemical and sanding methods,

They all look difficult

Any suggestions?
Good job! You've obviously found and read the links for 3 ways to strip a guitar provided by the savvy modders here ... the last time was kaplac I think.

Here's the bottom line, if you intend to stain it or use a transparent finish, you probably would want to use chemicals and/or the heat gun although sanding will get you there, too.

If you plan to paint it with an opaque (solid) color, you can just scuff sand it with 200 grit or so sandpaper .... all around the body and just enough to remove the gloss.

Pretty straightforward, really. You know you can do it. Good Luck!

I do sanding, time consuming but I think it works the best
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by senor_penguin
I do sanding, time consuming but I think it works the best

Agreed! If you grapple, it works specific arm and hand muscles. Also, gets you into some zone where you can think of some stuff, not mention you just worry about the dust instead of fumes.
when should i stop sanding? when i see the wood? i dont want to go getting big valleys in my guitar lol.
^ i suppose that as posted above, depends on whether you're staining it or painting it solid
Well i was going to paint it solid white.

I heard using car paint is an alternative to guitar paint??
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, if you're painting it solid, you don't have to san all the way into the wood.
Go to reranch.com to learn some basics about it.

For straight refinishing how to, check out

ReRanch 101 - Finishing Basics.

You can also go to

Project Guitar Tutorials for refinishing and other stuff.
Quote by Ippon
Agreed! If you grapple, it works specific arm and hand muscles. Also, gets you into some zone where you can think of some stuff, not mention you just worry about the dust instead of fumes.

Poly dust will wreak just as much havoc on your lungs as paint stripper.