well what ive understood about improvising and scale use is that when a song is in a major key you can use the major pentatonic, minor pentatonic (relative minor- 1 tone and a half lower?) and the major scale. in a minor key you can only use the minor pentatonic, or can you us ethe major scale aswell, if so, how would you use it?

could somebody please verify this for me? (preferably somebody who knows what they ar talking about)

thanks
sorry I know this wont be much help but in most major keys I play minor pentatonic (I just think it sounds alot better then major)
Hey
Theory says that you should play major scales in a major key and minor scales in a minor key. However, many rock and blues guitarists use the minor pentatonic over major progressions because it gives a grittier, nastier sound without actually sounding sad like you would expect a minor key to sound.

In a minor key, you wouldn't use the major scale. Yes, there are the modes, but those are not the major scale.
what other scales could i play over a minor key? what modes? i could us the minor modes of the major scale over a minor progression right?
Quote by erotic_snails
what other scales could i play over a minor key? what modes? i could us the minor modes of the major scale over a minor progression right?
Yes, you could use the minor modes of the major scale, but make sure the mode is appropriate. For instance, you wouldn't play A Phrygian over Am Am F G since the G chord contains a B and that does not fit in A Phrygian. Likewise, you wouldn't use A Dorian over that, since F (obviously) contain an F.