I HATE BEING NERVOUS!

My name is Gil and I've been playing for 8 months and im really dedicated to guitar but i cant seem to stop getting nervous when I play in front of people. I donno how im eveer gonna gig. My hands get all clammy and start shaking like crazy and i cant even play. I cant even play ****en Satch Boogie for my mom without shaking and messing up because im so nervous.

Is there like something to cure this because i might as well just stop playing guitar and throw away all the 5 hour days ive spent practicing.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

it takes time, i have been playing for 2 years and i still get nervous when i play just for one of my friends that i have played for a million times, it just that you are confident enough, in your subconcious mind you are not comfortable with your playing to play infront of some one. Take more time practicing before playing infront of some one, then once you feel that you are comfortable playing for some one, do it. You still are going to get nervous but the more times you do it the better you will get until you can do it like its nothing. It mind over matter, just be calm and relax when you play and you will get the hang of it.
^ I agree. Btw wrong fourm.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
yes well playing in front of your mom and friends is one thing....i would go with what the man101 said...its mind over matter...and as for gigs, once again you need to practice more until you are comfortable with yourself playing guitar...

I have been doing gigs for almost 7 months now, and in every gig i have a bass solo to play...and in my very first gig, i was so nervous playing that solo, that i literally fainted on the stage and ****ed over the entire song...so what i do to overcome stage frigth nowadays..is get high(lol) go smoke some marijuana and get high before your gig...jus smoke it an hour before and you it should relieve a bit of the pressure and will make you more focused and relaxed and by the end of the night..... you would have nailed your guitar lines:P thats my personal advice ..take it or leave it
Angels of the Condemned
It really is just a hurdle that takes some time to overcome. You mentioned that even playing infront of people who would never seriously embarass you on purpose (i.e. mom and family) bugs you alot? That is the place to start overcoming your fear of playing for others. Talk yourself down before hand and say..."She is my mom/dad/aunt, she wouldn't laugh at me so there is nothing to worry about" or "I can play better then propably 99% of the people watching me, so why worry if I make a mistake?". I would avoid playing for more experianced guitar players and critical people right now. I used to shake and get sweaty too. Now though, nothing really happens when I play for others. I only get excited if there is any differance. Just give it time and don't stop playing for people!
Personally, the way I look at things, I think 'whats the point in being nervous'? It's not going to achive anything, so may as well not be nervous
And even if you do **** up majorly, at least the ****-up may have a comical value that you can take advantage of.
The secret is not caring if you **** up or not, really. I mean, they don't most likely, and if you do they won't even notice. Why do you?

Just don't give a shit. It works

It also helps miracles when dealing with constructive criticism, in the way that you can just take it in and not let your ego get hurt and lashing out.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i was the same, i recorded my self just with a tape and picked out my good advantages, i then noted my bad ones and improved on them,after say a week of practising that i recorded myself again and compared them ,it worked great for me and if u feel u need more practise on it practise some more until u r ready to perform it say to ur family or a couple of friends.

hope its helped
Quote by Resiliance
The secret is not caring if you **** up or not, really. I mean, they don't most likely, and if you do they won't even notice. Why do you?

Just don't give a shit. It works

It also helps miracles when dealing with constructive criticism, in the way that you can just take it in and not let your ego get hurt and lashing out.

resi is dead on (as is often the case) just don't give a f#ck.... i used to eff up a lot, like a LOT in front of people, then as soon as i stopped caring i noticed a big improvement, then add that in with extra practice and you might squelch a note here or there from time to time but it won't be nearly as often or bad as before.
It takes time. My friends used to always bug me about "playing them a song" whenever they came over, but I have gotten so used to it that I have no problem anymore. Often times when they are over, I will sit with my acoustic and randomly strum chords and improvise lyrics to whatever they are doing, just for giggles, and it usually results in momentous laughter.
I've never heard of being shy playing guitar in front of friends or family, but singing does it for me :/
start playing in front of people every chance you get. If your just hanging out with friends, grab your guitar. They dont need to listen, you just need to mess around with it. Play without being asked. And one of the most important things when playing live; confidence. If you act like you know what your doing, then in the eyes of everyone else, you know what your doing.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
if you want my advice its this: i always think: "these mo'fo's don't know shit bout music so **** em" (even though deep down i know it's not true...most of the times). And even when i screw up, i fake that i did it on purpose..to make a "awesome rebellious" sound (lol). the bottom line is, learn to get comfortable with your playing, trust yourself and your fingers, and play in front of others (start by mom dad friends ect ect). it takes time! good luck!
--gear--

Yamaha C5 L Grand Piano

Fender Custom Telecaster HH Flamed Maple Top

Marshall MG100HDFX

Dunlop Cry Baby

Digitech Distortion Factory

Pianists F.T.W.
jam and stuff w/ a friend alot..... get so that you can play anything w/ them and just become "musicly open" w/ them.

I played w/ one of my friends a ton and that helped me alot. On my second gig (i've only had 2) I wasn't nervous at all. And i'm a person who gets nervous just talking to my friends parents and adults all the time!

also, just relize........ when you screw up, most of the time, the people listening don't know the difference.... i've had a million people tell me what a crappy job they did after I've listened to them play, and I couldn't tell the difference.

hope that helped.
Even better. Don't play Satch Boogie in front of people, seriously while it's certainly not the most challenging song it does require precision and a good amount of speed. Nerves will make you **** it up, no matter how slowly you play it.

What you need it to build confidence, play things that are way too easy for you. I'm talking Nirvana easy. I'm talking power chords and super simple riffs, you know the stuff you could do in your sleep. Once you've got the confidence to do that, move up to something slightly harder, and so on and so forth.

When I was first learning my guitar teacher told me something that's totally true. Playing by yourself and playing in front of people are two entirely different beasts. If you want to be good when you're playing in front of people, you should be practicing your songs 10-20% faster than you actually need to perform them.

As for gigging, believe it or not, it's easier than playing infront of one or two people by yourself. The attention is going to be divided up between 2-4 other people, and it's very rare that anyone will notice your mistakes.

Key is, start simple, very simple.
grow our your hair long enough to cover your face.
get high.
energy drinks.
sun glasses.
playing behind the drummer
Quote by ibanlezbians
I HATE BEING NERVOUS! I cant even play ****en Satch Boogie for my mom without shaking and messing up because im so nervous.

If that's the song I'm thinking of, you've made some damn good progress in 8 months, sir. Congratulations.
Don't give up... keep playing, keep trying. Eventually, the nerves will sort themselves out, and if they don't, why not still play guitar for yourself?
Just don't push yourself into it. I've been like that with singing and playing guitar but now I'm getting ready to go busking.
One other thing - if it helps, go see people playing locally. If you can play as well as them for yourself, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do it live like they are.

..that turned into a bit of an essay.
The basic idea was don't give up.
hmm.. I've always thought that i have stage fright, but once at a gig when playing for about 150-200 people maybe, I just felt relaxed and cool.

Stage fright cured.
Founder Of "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub.
PM me To Join.

Quote by RHDIII
as we all know emo music is basically rock and roll fully evolved to its highest potential

wtf?
Quote by D_y_p26
grow our your hair long enough to cover your face.
get high.
energy drinks.
sun glasses.
playing behind the drummer

Lol, that sound pretty good, hope I don't OD on the ****ing energy drink!
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
is what youre doing gonna effect you even a few days later? no, so just say what the hell, and act like its just you there
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.