I've been playing guitar since June-ish time, and I was wondering, what should the thickness of my strings be by now? I started out with .009-.042, then switched to .010-.046. I then bought a new guitar, and thought it came with the .010s, but really it was with the .009s. I realized that after my .009 e came off, and I replaced it with a .010. Should I switch all my strings to .010, or should I stay with the .009s? I mean, does it make me bad at guitar if I'm still on .009s?
personal preference dude.I've tried both gauges and I have to say .009 are nicer and versatile for both rhythm and lead..010 are thick but for they then to muff up distortion.alittle to beefy for me.

strings don determined whether you are good at guitar.

everyone has their strengths and weaknesses at guitars.

I don 't really know how a person say that someone is the best guitarist in the world.
String gauge is all personal preference, using big gauges doesn't make you a good player, especially if you can't handle them. A lot of people and pros use thin strings, Steve Vai I think uses .008's. Jimi Hendrix supposedly used banjo strings because he couldn't find guitar strings thin enough for his liking (that's just something I heard, don't know if it's true). On the other hand, SRV used .013s. He also had to superglue his fingers sometimes. I use .011s because .009s and .010s are slipper to me.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
i use tens because of the tone, but using thin strings doesn't make you a bad guitarist (yngwie uses .008 strings)
not at all, u should play with whatever ur most comfortble with
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
I use 0.12's on my acoustic and 0.11's on my electric because I find I break thinner strings too quickly. Strings are by and large a preference things but, generally, thinner strings make bends easier and are less harsh on the fingers but can break easier, can go out of tune quicker (this does depend on the guitar as well though) and can lead to a reduction in volume. Thicker strings may be better in terms of volume and tone but may also hinder bends and general playing depending on finger strength.
Basically it's a case of comparing tone, comfort and playability between strings. Also, if you like having a 0.10 high e with the rest from the 0.09 set then do that, there are no hard and fast rules, although that might not be cost effective :p
all pref.

LP has .13's
i use it for jazz, rythem, blues

acoustic hs .13's

other guitar has .10's
for lead
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Hmm

In my book it says, summed up. The bigger the gauge the better the tone?

True?
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
I like thinner strings, I had some thicker ones, but I couldn't play chords, because the strings are so thick that i would mute the others no matter what. Just experiment and find the ones that suit you and your style. :]
Quote by David_VI
Hmm

In my book it says, summed up. The bigger the gauge the better the tone?

True?

tone is subjective

heavier gauge gives more low end
and visa versa
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
if string guage was relative to length of time playing, then jimmy page (as an example) would have a 120 guage bass string for a high E
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and I stay on the 9's. it's all about preference. if you like the 10's, use em, if not, change
"there is a man...
playing a violin...
and the strings...
are the veins in his own arm."