I'm having a bit of trouble. I've been looking at all different kinds of pickups to see if I would like to purchase some new ones. Question is, if im playing metal/rock is my current setup okay? or can it be improved.

Currently im playing with a Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic Electric Guitar. The pickups I have in it are Seymour Duncan Invader SH8 and Gibson 498T Alnico Humbucker.

So im wondering if there is anything better

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dude duncan invaders are awsome keep um
SchecterC-1+\m/
Moded Jackson Js1
Moded Squier Bullet
Ibanez V series acoustic
Crate GX-140C\m/
Crate 4x12\m/
DigitechRP250Multi-effect
Boss Super Overdrive\m/
Boss Noise Supressor\m/
JimDunlupXtraHeavyPicks\m/
\m/=my live setup
dude duncan invaders are awsome keep um

Hate do disagree with somebody with an Ace Frehley avatar, but Invaders are shite. Muddy and thin sounding - Seymour Duncan Custom or Distortion would be a better bet, 59 or Pearly Gates in the neck if you want to change the Gibson one, although that should be fine.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im looking for more of a heavy distorted sounds. I want to get a sound similar to Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster normally uses Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader pickups. So I got that.
But I am not sure what Corey from Trivium uses. Any tips on what i should do?
Pickups don't give you a distorted tone, that's what distortion pedals and the amp are for. Chances are, if your pickups are distorting, it's not a good thing.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I agree. And besides, most of what Synyster sounds like on the record is due to production work. Invaders are pretty bad, expecially for lead work, IMO. You just don't get the note clarity ya need from em.

Honestly, I can pick up my SG, plug into a decent amp, and just plug some high gain pedals in...and dial in metal, turn off the pedal, roll the volume down, get blues, hit a decent overdrive, and get classic rock.
Pickups can very from play to player. Lamb of God is plenty heavy, and Mark Morton uses '59's in both positions. Those are generally used more by classic rock players, blues players and just rock players.
Pickups don't give you a distorted tone, that's what distortion pedals and the amp are for. Chances are, if your pickups are distorting, it's not a good thing.

Swiftly debunking one of UG's favourite myths

New pickups seems to be the first thing people turn to when wanting to get a particular sound, when it's pretty much the last step to take (if its needed at all)
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So your saying scrap the invanders. Alright do you have any suggestions for lead work? or just go with the Seymour Duncan Custom or Distortion?
I read that EMG 81 are good for lead work. What do ya think?
You could always look into Dimarzio, BK and Swineshead. They have a nice selection of pickups. Just look around their sites and ask about the pickups around these forums. You'll get some good advice from these people.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Guitarfreak777
So your saying scrap the invanders. Alright do you have any suggestions for lead work? or just go with the Seymour Duncan Custom or Distortion?
I read that EMG 81 are good for lead work. What do ya think?

for leads, i would use neck pup.

the Jazz/Jb combo is popular.. (jazz on neck)
but people say jb is to trebly. so custom/distorition in bridge suits them w/o that high treble

59/jazz are always talked about for necks, and are well roudned.

so enough jibberish ... 59 or jazz in neck pup for leads.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
I forgot to mention where i had the pickups.
The Invader is in the bridge, the 498T is in the neck.
59 or jazz for neck. then what about the invader?
Try a bill lawrence l500xl in the bridge and l500l in the neck or Duncan SD in the bridge and jazz in the neck, depeding on preference.
Thanks for all the responses.
What should i group with the 59 or jazz?

Also What would go with the EMG81 in the neck for lead?