I was sitting around trying to do some work in a crowded area and couldn't concentrate with all of the people talking. I then whipped out my headphones and blasted my music and was very productive. This made me wonder, does music help you concentrate or does it ultimately distract you?
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
It depends, if it's a nice smooth slow song then I don't get distracted. But if it's loud, raunchy hard rock then yeah I get distracted by it.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Last edited by Anything Goes at Feb 4, 2007,
I listen to music virtually all the time...mainly because it helps me concentrate and relax.
I listen to music while I'm doing my homework, it drowns out outside distractions for me. In fact, it's hard for me to do homework without music. My lady friend, on the other hand, can't concentrate on work even if it's just a little Sunn O))) playing in the background.
Depends on the type of music I guess, sometimes it helps me concentrate but sometimes it's just distracting as hell. Like when you're studying math; if I'm doing exercices I can listen to music without getting distracted but if I have to study theory I can't stand any noise.
I think if you have to memorise something it distracts you.
#57 of the Alter Bridge Fan Club
Yes, it does. I hate it when my sister tells me that I shouldn't be listening to music because "you can't concerntrate with them on, whilst doing work". Pfft...
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

It depends really. If it's music which I normally listen to as well, then it'll probably just distract me. But if it's like some smoothjazz or something, it helps me to concentrate
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

i cant concentrate worth shit without music, always have to have it
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
Slower music helps me, but hard rock doesn't really do much for my concentration when I got an assignment to finish
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Yes, it distracts me very much sometimes. And i can't stop myself from listening to it almost all the time when i really should be doing something important. Like right now.
I can block out some music, but if it's something i really like i can't help but focusing on the music.
depends on the music.. sometimes ill be unaware of the album im listening to (if im studying or something). then other times, i might get really into the music.

i noticed if im high at all, any music will distract me. idk why, but it just sucks me in. if im driving and im high i dont even listen to music cause it distracts me way too much
yeah i cant focus in a room with alot of people talking, but if i have my headphones in jamming to some metal then i do good, for some reason mellow music makes me not focus again...?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

I sometimes fall asleep listening to metal. I find music really helps - it makes work a lot less painful, and stressfull.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
My death metal helps me kill people more productively.

Nah. Music helps me get the job done. Whether it be physical labor or school work.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Instrumentals usually help me more then songs with lyrics. Mainly cos I start doing falsetto Matt Bellamy impressions
I listen to classical, orchestral music when I do my homework. I've recommended to to people, and so far it's worked in 11/11 cases.

But then I switch to some good ol' rock the second I'm done.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
I hate listening to music while doing work..it distracts me.

Yet, when I write--I choose to listen to Pink Floyd. I essentially write better!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
driving high really isnt that big of a deal.. if you've ever even smoked weed, you'd know that its not an obstacle. i wouldnt reccomend it, and i personally avoid it, but its not a big deal and isn't like driving drunk if that's what you're getting at...
music always helps me concentrate
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Depends if I have heard the song alot. If I have heard it alot, then it helps, if I have not heard it much, then it can get to be a distraction
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
yeah soft stuff doesnt distract me at all.
if im listening to something really hard it does.

but, for some weird reason, if im really pissed off, then i turn on hardcore/screamo shit, it calms me down.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Any music I enjoy helps me concentrate. I have to have my noise-cancelling headphones if I intend to get anything accomplished in a densely occupied area.
well if Im trying to study I will have a song in my head and will start tappin it out, slowly moving away from what I was doing... quite annoying.
if its something soft, like something you can sing to then ill get distracted

but if its something really heavy with a lot of screams in it then i wont get distracted
Quote by Lukeisonfire
well your cool you have a taste in music but anyone else....

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
Member number 5 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Jazz
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
depends on what school lesson i'm in. if i'm in ICT it helps a lot for some reason, but if 'm in Art or Design Technology it distracts me...

i'm weird
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
in geography my teacher is liek obsessed with U2 and hes constantly playing them while were doing our work and ill get distracted by it then when class is over hes like "u hardly have anything written down? u need to start working harder" im like well i could if u wouldnt play that sucky music... same goes with math cept its worse she plays rap
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Nah, music really hinders my productivity. I concentrate more on the guitar than my work.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
It keeps my mind anchored. If I'm not listening to something, I'll end up staring into space and my mind will wander.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the