So I have a vintage Jackson JG-2 Halfstack, but the head finally kicked on me and nobody will service the amp because jackson says laney built them, laney refuses to accept responsibility for the amp, etc. So nobody really has a schematic for it. A couple online places are willing, but they're ridiculously expensive, and I don't want to ship my amp anywhere.

So I'm looking at buying a new head and just keeping the cab, but here's where the problem starts. The cab is rated 300 watts at 16 ohms. 16 ohms is a ridiculously hard to find output for a head, unless the amp has outputs for 4, 8, and 16.

So in looking for a new head, I've found a few Solid-State heads and a few Tube heads I'm considering. To avoid the hating on the SS, I'll keep them nameless, but I'll say they're all 4 or 8 ohm outputs. One of the tube heads has 4, 8, and 16 ohm outputs, but it's slightly above my price range.

The one I'm looking mostly at is a SS that says "4 ohm minimum" on the speaker out jack. So...

1. What effect would it have running that into a 16 ohm cab? Would it just be quieter?

2. Generally I hear that tubes always have to match impedance, and SS should be one step off. So if I got an 8 ohm SS, what effect would that have?

3. Should I just try to sell this cab and get another one rated 8 ohms? I'm on a really limited budget, and I could probably only get like 400 for that cab. I have a few shows coming up in like a month, and I'm looking around 500 bucks for a replacement since it's such short notice. I'd either need a new head that can work well with that cab, or I could sell the cab and get a 212 combo, or something. I just need some fix for my shows.

Thanks!
most quality heads have a 16 ohm output! it shouldnt be a problem
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
1. What effect would it have running that into a 16 ohm cab? Would it just be quieter? -
Just quieter. Theres a bit of tone loss sometimes, but its not really noticeable.

2. Generally I hear that tubes always have to match impedance, and SS should be one step off. So if I got an 8 ohm SS, what effect would that have? -
Just Quieter Really

3. Should I just try to sell this cab and get another one rated 8 ohms? I'm on a really limited budget, and I could probably only get like 400 for that cab. I have a few shows coming up in like a month, and I'm looking around 500 bucks for a replacement since it's such short notice. I'd either need a new head that can work well with that cab, or I could sell the cab and get a 212 combo, or something. I just need some fix for my shows.

You could just rewire the head if the SS Head had an impedance of 4 Ohms. Celestion's website has diagrams of how to do it.
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
How much quieter are we talking? Anyone know?

And matt, obviously I'm not looking at a quality head. I'm looking for a cheap fix for gigs until I can save enough pay to get back to something nice. Usually "quality" amps have a 16 ohm out because they're a nice tube amp that they want to be capable of using any cab.
Not to familiar with those speakers, 2x12 or 4x12? If you can tell me the wattage and ohmage, I can most probably help you with your problem.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
The imp. of the cab can be higher than the output of the amp without much noticable difference. If the amp has an 8 ohm output and you connect a 16 ohm cab it will work just fine, it just wont be quite as loud, but it wont be half the volume.

Just remember that you can always use a cab with a higher ohm rating than the amp output, but not the other way around.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
It's a 4x12 cab. But if it isn't half the volume, how much difference are we talking? Like for the 120watt SS head running out 4 ohms into my 16 ohm cab, we're not talking a sound loss so much it becomes ungiggable, right?
You might not have to run it into a higher impedance if you switch a few wires around....
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by josephde
It's a 4x12 cab. But if it isn't half the volume, how much difference are we talking? Like for the 120watt SS head running out 4 ohms into my 16 ohm cab, we're not talking a sound loss so much it becomes ungiggable, right?

No the differenc in sound will not make it ungigable. however, SS watts are less "loud" as perceived by the ear, than tube watts. So 120 SS watts is approx. the same loudness as 60 Tube watts, which is still WAY, WAY, loud enough with a 4X12 to play most any gig. Another However, you should also note that tube amps, in general, sound good or better at higher volumes, its not the same for SS amps. If you have to crank your SS head to 11 the sound may not be as good as with the volume at 5.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
I'm very aware of tube vs. SS. I'm not aware much at all about matching ohms because it's never been an issue for me. My first few SS amps were all combos, and all of my tube amps have had matching impedance between head and cab. I've never bothered with a SS halfstack, so I just need to know how much quieter it's going to be before I blow the last few hundred bucks I have into buying this replacement head because my tube head decided to go haywire on me and no tech will look at it.
Quote by josephde
I'm very aware of tube vs. SS. I'm not aware much at all about matching ohms because it's never been an issue for me. My first few SS amps were all combos, and all of my tube amps have had matching impedance between head and cab. I've never bothered with a SS halfstack, so I just need to know how much quieter it's going to be before I blow the last few hundred bucks I have into buying this replacement head because my tube head decided to go haywire on me and no tech will look at it.

What kind of a tone are you looking for? and how loud do you need. there are some great tube heads that are not super expensive. The peavey classic 30 head, about $500, sounds fantastic if you are into clean, jazz, blues, and rock.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Matt, thanks, but I've been a member here for a few years, I've heard everyone's biased and usually untested opinions, and I just don't much care for it. I know all the amps everyone's going to suggest in each price range, and I know almost everyone here thinks SS amps are the devil and anyone that doesn't think so will die and go to some tone-deaf barren wasteland of hell.

Most of you don't mean to be so pushy I'm sure, but it's still annoying regardless. I've tried a lot of nice tube amps and they just aren't reliable enough for my situation right now. I'm saving up to get a Mesa Dual in a while since it's been my favorite out of all the amps I've owned and it fits my tone better than any other amp I've tried.

But currently I'm on a low-budget replacement search, and I got a nice lead on a 120 watt SS amp outputting 4 ohms, and it's dirt cheap, great condition. I just need to find a way to make it work with my cab so I can get back to a nice amp faster.

Spazz, how would I go about doing that? And do you know of anywhere that would have a how-to or a schematic or something to go off of?