k looking for new pickups for my santana se, i want something all out blues rock that will excentuate the oaky resonance of the body, any ideas??? Im gonna change both and i can afford up to about 200 quid, what do u recommend?

Thanx in advance.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why, not satisfied with your current tone? What kind of amp do you have?

well, its not that im not satisfied...its just, it all adds to the tone ya know? I have 100 quid in guitar shop vouchers and i dont know what to spend them on. I just want to make the perfect blues set up, i have the guitar that fits my fingers, the right amp, the right OD pedal, and i duno what else to spend the money on. Problem is they expire in a year :S

It is something i'd like to upgrade as the pick-ups in SE's are wank, as nice as the body and neck is, also my guitar teacher said that the spring block for the trem makes a large difference to tone, is this true? He said the bridge will resonate better with a brass one nstead of my pewter or aluminium one or whatever it is.

o I'd also like to be able to squeeze a little more sustain out of the guitar which is another reason id like better pick-ups (altho i know pickups wont make a HUGE amount of difference)
Last edited by Atreideslegend at Feb 4, 2007,
I don't know, I generally like the tone from the SE pickups. What amp do you have?

And your guitar teacher is incorrect. It's all marketing, which is why there's $300 Titanium Strat tremolo block on AllParts. Yeah right, paying $300 for a Titanium tremolo block? It's not going to affect tone.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by forsaknazrael
Hm. Haven't heard anything about that amp...I have a feeling though, that those more knowledgable with amplfiers will say there are better amps suited for the blues and blues rock.

not for the sound i want :P peavey classic is built for bluesy rock and no1s gonna tell me its no good coz i personally love it, its got warm cleans and a distortion with shit loads of attitude when the tubescreamer goes on top.

btw if ure wondering my fav blues guitarists are rory gallagher and the black keys guy.
Alright, if you say so. I will say this - The Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special pretty much oozes out the blues. It sounds fantastic.

Well, if you're looking for more sustain...You're not gonna get it outta your pickups.
Here's two things you might wanna look into:
The strings brand in my sig. Their Vintage Formula strings have a real thick tone that's not like the nickel plated steel strings out there. That could be what you're looking for.

Perhaps a compression pedal would give you the sustain you're after. Or a fuzz, for more grit and more gain for sustain.
Actually, the Peavey Classic 50 is a GREAT blues amp. I was contemplating buying one a while back, but I decided to get a '65 Super Reverb. They're really great overdriven with a Tubescreamer. Anyways.

For pickups, have you looked into Bareknuckle?

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by forsaknazrael
Alright, if you say so. I will say this - The Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special pretty much oozes out the blues. It sounds fantastic.

Well, if you're looking for more sustain...You're not gonna get it outta your pickups.
Here's two things you might wanna look into:
The strings brand in my sig. Their Vintage Formula strings have a real thick tone that's not like the nickel plated steel strings out there. That could be what you're looking for.

Perhaps a compression pedal would give you the sustain you're after. Or a fuzz, for more grit and more gain for sustain.

nah compressors arent for me, i like to have alot of room for dynamics and i find compressors too limiting, fuzz pedal i think would be too thick for my sound, my neck position is thick enough.
Swinesheads are a good bet too - jut pop them an email and ask them to suggest something based on your current setup and what you're looking to achieve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by AlGeeEater
Actually, the Peavey Classic 50 is a GREAT blues amp. I was contemplating buying one a while back, but I decided to get a '65 Super Reverb. They're really great overdriven with a Tubescreamer. Anyways.

For pickups, have you looked into Bareknuckle?

Chris

im looking at them now as a matter of fact, what model do u suggest???
Checkout the Stormy Monday pickups. I'd personally stay away from Swineshead really, they don't have any decent blues pickups.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
Checkout the Stormy Monday pickups. I'd personally stay away from Swineshead really, they don't have any decent blues pickups.

Chris

yeah they sounds pretty good, know of anyways i can hear them eg soundclips? Also i was wondering, soapbars are just single coils in a humbucker container right? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick? would it give the guitar a strat like edge?
Quote by Atreideslegend
yeah they sounds pretty good, know of anyways i can hear them eg soundclips? Also i was wondering, soapbars are just single coils in a humbucker container right? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick? would it give the guitar a strat like edge?

I believe Bareknuckle has a forum, where users recorded clips of their pickups. I'll see if I can locate it for you (it's on the site). Here's the link to the forum:
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php

Soapbars are different than both single coils and humbuckers. If you want soap bars, you're going to have to route your guitar out for them. They're about as wide as humbuckers (actually, most of them a little narrower), but they're a bit longer than them. Soapbars are unique from single coiils and humbuckers, but imagine a Strat with some extra punch.

Chris
Quote by AlGeeEater
I believe Bareknuckle has a forum, where users recorded clips of their pickups. I'll see if I can locate it for you (it's on the site). Here's the link to the forum:
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/index.php

Soapbars are different than both single coils and humbuckers. If you want soap bars, you're going to have to route your guitar out for them. They're about as wide as humbuckers (actually, most of them a little narrower), but they're a bit longer than them. Soapbars are unique from single coiils and humbuckers, but imagine a Strat with some extra punch.

Chris

ahh ok nm, i dont fancy doing any routing :S