Page 1 of 2
I know the GRX 20 isnt the greatest guitar, but I got when i had very little money, and I dont feel like buying a better guitar. I need good suggestions on what to buy first. I was thinking new pickups first, then distortions and pedals next, but cant decide which is more important.
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'
i have the same question for mine...tell me if you find something cool to do to the ol ibanez
UG's HIPPIE
Most people will recommend that you get a better amp first.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
welp give up a little info first.

what kinda amps do ya guys use?
what kinda music do ya play?
do ya have any effects already?
what do ya dislike most about your grx?
whats your budget?

basically answer those simple questions and me and im sure a whole bunch of other people will be more then willing to help ya guys out
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
I agree with Will_Minus. A guitar shop I go to once sold a Squier to Carlos Santana. I'm pretty sure your guitar does ya fine for now. No need to upgrade just yet.
Answering the questions AnthonyG threw out, though, can help us help you. Cause if you just have a practice amp, that'd be the problem. A lot of your tone is your amp.
haha... No, I dont have a practice amp, I have a 100 watt Kustom Quad DFX 100. It's not a brand name amp, but it's got a good heavy tone, plus I got it for 250 bucks, which is a steal for a 2 speaker, 100 watt amp. If you wanna see the rest of its specs, google Kustom Amps. Now I will answer the questions AnthonyG set out for me.

Edit: I got the complete specs and a pic off the website.

RMS Output : 100 Watts
Speakers (x2) : 12" Celestion™
Channels : Lead & Rhythm
Preamp Modes : 2 High Gain, 2 Clean
EQ : Dual 3-Band
Lead Boost : Yes
Effects : 8 24-bit Digital
External Speaker Jack : Yes, 1/4"
CD/Tape Input : Yes, 1/4"
Footswitch (Optional) : Channels & Effects
Dimensions (in) : 28H x 19W x 12.5D
Dimensions (mm) : 445H x 654W x 295D
Weight : 54 lbs/ 24.5 kg

what kinda amps do ya guys use?
See Above^

what kinda music do ya play?

Mostly hard rock stuff, Metallica, Megadeth and such, but I like to mix in some zep and ACDC.
do ya have any effects already?
None, other than the fx on the amp(2 reverbs, 2 delays, Chorus, Chorus+reverb, Flanger and a Tremolo setting, along with a level dial to determine effect strength)
what do ya dislike most about your grx?
I know this is mostly the amp, but the palm mutes sound too clean. Everything else sounds nice and heavy, but the palm mutes just dont have a lot of gain on them. I'm looking for a nice choppy, distorted pm, ie: Killem all kinda feel
whats your budget?
Under 500 bucks

Keep in mind, I'm still a bit of a newbie at all this, so if i said anything stupid, dont insult me(like some other people on this board do).
Attachments:
Quad100DFX.bmp
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'
Last edited by Black as Black at Feb 5, 2007,
A nice low wattage tube amp will do ya fine.
I say low wattage cause 15 watts tube will be able to play with drums. I believe you need 50 or 60 for solid state amps. Go ask in the AMP Q & A thread in the Guitar Gear forum. You'll find some good input on amps there.
Maybe even a pedal would do what you need. Check out the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. It's a pretty good pedal for metal. They have clips on musiciansfriend.com.
Thx for the info on the pedal, it looks good to me, and is there that much of a difference between a SS and a tube where it'd be worth selling my 2 week old amp and getting a tube? I mean, it sounds like a good plan down the road a lil when I can spend a good 800-1000 bucks on a kickass tube amp, but I dont think im ready to sell my new one just yet...

Anyways, this topic is not dead yet. I'd still like to hear suggestions on pickups, other distortions, and new cables (I bought the cruddy ones i have now from a pawn shop for 7 bucks for 12 ft, so I know they can't be too good, plus I'm gonna need a new 6 ft cable for new distortions).
Quote by HomerHitter
Last edited by Black as Black at Feb 5, 2007,
try some duncan designed pickups for the guitar. or emg selects is what i would personally go with. maybe some ernie ball slinkys. if ur using stnadard tuning i would go with super slinkys. i use power slinkys but i play alot of stuff thats in drop c.
Quote by dedguitar
try some duncan designed pickups for the guitar. or emg selects is what i would personally go with. maybe some ernie ball slinkys. if ur using stnadard tuning i would go with super slinkys. i use power slinkys but i play alot of stuff thats in drop c.

Ok...no.
Leave the pickup suggesting to somebody who actually has an idea in the future, Ok?
Also, where the hell did suggesting strings come from?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
well idk i thought he was asking about upgrades about the guitar. my bad dude but i know for a fact this forum is about offering suggestions not bashing ppl for their suggestions. btw he also mentions hes on a budget, and he just bought an amp he doesnt wanna get rid of after 2 weeks. those pick ups r not bad at i have em in a squier strat and it rips.
Last edited by dedguitar at Feb 6, 2007,
alrighty im here to help this might be a little long but bear with me it should all be helpful info haha

as far as your amp goes a tube amp would definetly help with the chunky palm mute sound you want but its probably the most expensive route and since you just got your Kustom 2 weeks ago theres definitely cheaper alternatives

Pickups

(having been a former owner of a Ibanez GSA60 i know how shitty those powersound pickups are haha) so lets start here
www.seymourduncan.com
www.dimarzio.com
www.guitarfetish.com (check the gfs pickups out)
www.gibson.com
basically the best way to pick out what suites ya best is to listen to their sound clips check out youtube for videos and hit up harmony-central for hands on reviews

heres a couple combos i reccomend checking out

Seymour Duncan
- Jazz Neck/Distortion Bridge
- Pearly Gates Neck/ Custom Bridge
- 59 Neck /JB Bridge
Dimarzio
dont really know much bout Dimarzio pickups so somebody else can chime in here
GFS
best bet is to check out harmony-central.com and read reviews for these or somebody on here with personal experience. They are really cheap but have been hearing great things about em might be your best buy if dont want to throw to much money into the grx20 since it is just a starter guitar
Gibson
check out the angus young set or maybe some burstbuckers typically gibsons are pretty expensive so ebay would probably be your best bet to get a set of these

Cables
i personally use livewire cables and have had good experience with them another nice brand is monster cables

Pedals
BOSS
- DS-1 very versitle little pedal gives ya anything from a good classic crunch sound to a decent metal disto
MT-2 will give ya a nice metallica/megadeth distortion
Also multieffects boards can be very nice check into the
ME-50 or one of the GT series
Digitech
Gotta reccomend checking in the GNX series (personally love the things and feel probably the best peice of gear ive bought to date) basically any sound is possible outta this thing and a blast to mess with.
single effect wise check into these from digitech
- Distortion Factory
- Hotrod ( ACDC, zepplin sound)
- metal master (metallica/megadeth)

Electro Harmonix
give that metal muff a test spins that forsakenazel recommended

Ibanez
-tubescreamer again a very popular stompbox never personally played one but i know lots of people use em

OTHER
alright as a former low end ibanez owner just a few things i reccomend are...
- locking tuners (check guitarfetish.com for a nice cheap set of wilkinson lockers) this will allow ya to actually use your trem a little without the constant retuning
- graphite nut and graphite or roller saddles (again this will help keep the tuning)
- then if ya dont use your trem at all if ya block it you can gain a little sustain

other then that maybe try some beefier strings to help ya get a bassier palm mute goodluck with w/e ya end up doing and i hope this helps ya out a little

AnthonyG
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
A Tube Screamer would be more effective in a tube amp, to overdrive it.
No good with the SS.
Personally, I'm not a fan of anything from Digitech, aside from the Brian May Special and the Whammy. I don't like the Metal Zone, either. Kinda boxy distortion. The Metal Muff is much more organic.

Oh, and if you want a thicker tone, I know my metalhead buddy was satisfied, consider the brand in my signature. Seriously. Their vintage formula is made of pure nickel, and the different string alloy definitely has an effect on your tone. With humbuckers, it gets warmer, darker, and I think more articulate. I love 'em. They make heavy sets, too. The only thing is ya gotta order them online.
Quote by forsaknazrael
A Tube Screamer would be more effective in a tube amp, to overdrive it.
No good with the SS.
Personally, I'm not a fan of anything from Digitech, aside from the Brian May Special and the Whammy. I don't like the Metal Zone, either. Kinda boxy distortion. The Metal Muff is much more organic.

ya i figured the screamer would probably only be good for a tube amp but just thought id add it cause ya never know he might fall in love with it.
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
You seriously do love those strings, don't you
If they had an Australian dealer, I'd think about investing in some. I'm in a relatively metro area so I'm no longer stuck with d'Addario's
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Hey man, I'm just trying to get them some business! haha.
They need advertising, I have no idea how they rope in new customers, honestly.

If you're interested, I wouldn't mind buying for you and shipping it to you. As long as you cover the shipping and purchase, of course. Does that bypass all those import taxes and such?
huh those strings do seem interesting how do acoustic sets compare to elixers do ya know? and is this company in the states or is it in australia? i might have to purchase a set of electric and acoustic strings and see how they compare to my loved elixers and GHS boomers
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
They're in the US, I believe.
I loved both their acoustic sets and their electric.
Their vintage formula was definitely better than the GHS Boomers I had tried out briefly. Only other strings I've liked to nearly the same extent are the DR Pure Blues Set. but I still prefer Snake Oil.

As far as acoustic strings comparison, I liked their tone better than Elixirs - but it's all personal preference, ya know. At the moment, I'm torn between Dean Markleys and Snake Oil, so far, on my acoustic.
Thanks for the offer man, I'm going to buy a couple of different sets and play more regularly to 'test' them
Do they have hybrid gauges? I use 10-52's in standard. I might just try a set of Boomers and see how they go
I already tried beefing up the strings to ernie ball 11.s, but the string guage didnt have much of an affect on the sound, and they made my playing a lil worse... I ended up switching back to .10s

Anyways AnthonyG suggested blocking the trem if I dont use it much, which i dont, so how would I block it?

Also, I kinda like the idea of the snake olive oil strings. Which would you suggest: Original nickel or Rock formula?
Quote by HomerHitter
Last edited by Black as Black at Feb 6, 2007,
Quote by the_random_hero
Thanks for the offer man, I'm going to buy a couple of different sets and play more regularly to 'test' them
Do they have hybrid gauges? I use 10-52's in standard. I might just try a set of Boomers and see how they go

They have 10-52's. And anything they don't have, you can email Dean, the owner about, and he'll work with ya. I got him to make me a wound G for the .018 guage. Good stuff.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 6, 2007,
Quote by Black as Black
I already tried beefing up the strings to ernie ball 11.s, but the string guage didnt have much of an affect on the sound, and they made my playing a lil worse... I ended up switching back to .10s

Anyways AnthonyG suggested blocking the trem if I dont use it much, which i dont, so how would I block it?

Also, I kinda like the idea of the snake olive oil strings. Which would you suggest: Original nickel or Rock formula?

Haha. There's no olive involved, brother. But yeah, with most strings unless you're going from a .09 to .011 or so, you're not gonna notice a much of a difference.
For blocking your trem, just take a wood block that fits in there, and put it in between your trem block and the body. The side that's closer to the bottom of your guitar. Make sure it's pretty snug.

Original nickel sound GREAT with single coils. I'd give that a go.
lol thx, but I dont have single coils, nor do I like them much. My first guitar was S-S-S, and I had pretty bad tone.
Quote by HomerHitter
^^ Good stuff. I'll have to bookmark those.

Quote by Black as Black
lol thx, but I dont have single coils, nor do I like them much. My first guitar was S-S-S, and I had pretty bad tone.

Oh. I see. I assumed when you said trem, you meant Single coils.
I use my Snake Oils on a SG, and they sound awesome. A bit dark, a bit warmer than normal HBs...but I love it. Exactly what I was looking for.
do u know what kind of wood its made of?
i have a grx40 and am confused as to whats its made of.......
musicians friend says its agathis
americain music supply says alder
ibanez usa says mahogney
ibanez japan says basswood
mine weighs about 7 pounds if that helps anyone w/ what wood it is.....
Nah, 2 buckers on this guitar. Also, can you block the trem on a hardtail bridge? I think you may have assumed I have a floyd, which i dont, and I'm not sure, but on the one website anthony provided, it gave directions for blocking a floyd. To prevent this kind of misunderstanding from repeating itself, I'll supply you with a picture of my guitar

Oh, and forsaken, you can quit advertising the strings now. You convinced me the first time, I'm getting them next time I have a positive balance in my savings account.

Note: Ibanez didnt have a pic of the GRX, so I put the pic of its sister model, the GRG. The only difference is mine has 22 frets, not 24, there is no single coil on the GRX and the GRX has pearl fret inlays, not sharktooth.
Attachments:
GRG170DXBKN.jpg
Quote by HomerHitter
Quote by XibanezedgeX
do u know what kind of wood its made of?
i have a grx40 and am confused as to whats its made of.......
musicians friend says its agathis
americain music supply says alder
ibanez usa says mahogney
ibanez japan says basswood
mine weighs about 7 pounds if that helps anyone w/ what wood it is.....

It's agathis.
Quote by Pacifica112J
It's agathis.

You sure? cuz usually products in the same line as something have the same wood, and my grx 20 is basswood. I don't know everything though, so you may be right.
Quote by HomerHitter
Quote by Black as Black
Nah, 2 buckers on this guitar. Also, can you block the trem on a hardtail bridge? I think you may have assumed I have a floyd, which i dont, and I'm not sure, but on the one website anthony provided, it gave directions for blocking a floyd. To prevent this kind of misunderstanding from repeating itself, I'll supply you with a picture of my guitar

It's pretty much the same thing, and for future reference, it's not a hardtail trem, hardtail would be like a Tube-O-Matic or something that's a fixed bridge. Yours is just what looks to be a two-point tremolo bridge.
Here's a link for a normal trem...It's pretty much the same. Stick a block of wood in there. http://www.guitarrepairshop.com/repairtremeloblock.html

Quote by Black as Black
Oh, and forsaken, you can quit advertising the strings now. You convinced me the first time, I'm getting them next time I have a positive balance in my savings account.
Hahaha, you got it. Now you've made me feel like a tool.
Quote by Black as Black
You sure? cuz usually products in the same line as something have the same wood, and my grx 20 is basswood. I don't know everything though, so you may be right.

Yeah, I'm almost 100% sure. Besides, agathis is pretty heavy. Is your GRX kind of heavy?
My GRX is definitely not heavy. Extremely light and comfy, which is nice. And I know for sure it is basswood. Anyways, thanks for that link forsaken, thank god I've got a butt-load of power tools in my basement.

Edit: Actually either that link is bad or the page is having technical probs, cuz I keep getting 'error 504: Gateway Timout' with it. Of course, I do have dial up, which is usualy the underlying cause of most everything on my comp...
Quote by HomerHitter
Quote by forsaknazrael
Actually, Agathis is pretty light.

Really? My first guitar was Agathis, and it was heavier than hell.
ya black as black those links i posted for blocking your trem should be very similar for a vintage style trem all ya basically gotta do is get a piece of tonewood cut it to size and glue it to the back side of your trem cavity.
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Mine is definitely basswood, like I said. I asked a worker at an Ibanez factory who made these before I bought my GRX. And can you use just any ol wood, or do I have to have tonewood, cuz I dont really keep woods like poplar and such in my basement.
Quote by HomerHitter
Page 1 of 2