ok.. i know all of the major key positions and can remember the minor positions when i need to, i know i should learn more scales, but for some reason have put that off.

i really want to be a better soloist because a friend of mine is too stubborn to let me play rhythm in a band... even though hes clearly the better guitarist. so i figure if hes gonna be a bitch and make me play lead, i may as well start practicing on it.

where do i go from here?

(as name suggests im a hippy and am into classic pop/rock and folk.. beatles/floyd/led zep/the dead/doors/zappa/bob dylan as well as the grunge stuff nirvana/blind melon/ect..)

should i just learn more solos of my idols and steal parts/styles of their riffs to call my own?
Do not steal, that is a mark of a rip-off.

Make your own and learn the shread masterclass here on ths site.
Quote by hippie_cune
ok.. i know all of the major key positions and can remember the minor positions when i need to, i know i should learn more scales, but for some reason have put that off.

i really want to be a better soloist because a friend of mine is too stubborn to let me play rhythm in a band... even though hes clearly the better guitarist. so i figure if hes gonna be a bitch and make me play lead, i may as well start practicing on it.

where do i go from here?

(as name suggests im a hippy and am into classic pop/rock and folk.. beatles/floyd/led zep/the dead/doors/zappa/bob dylan as well as the grunge stuff nirvana/blind melon/ect..)

should i just learn more solos of my idols and steal parts/styles of their riffs to call my own?

Yeah dont do that but what you can do is like learn solos fromm them and like play with the song and change it up a bit and make up your own solo for that perticular song then you will be better at making them yourself
THEGuitar Prodigy

MYSPACE

Member 3 of the An Outsider and Proud Club. PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to join

its not really how many scales you know, its how well you use the ones you know. just keep practicing with the scales and play along with CD and improvise over them. listen to as many solos as you can and try to learn different techniques and licks from people you like. learn to put them into your own style. what i do is sit and just play a lot and make up may own licks and what not. it helped me alot.
Yeah. I constantly get told that what to do to get a good solo is just play scales, and mix the notes up a bit. Eventually, you'll hit something you like. If you listen to a good solo, you'll hear it's mainly different progressions of a scale. Usuallly a weird scale, but a scale all the same.