What pick ups did he have in his guitar and what amp did he have? Only a guitar won't replicate his tone.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Tone is in the fingers!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by mattldm2003
Tone is in the fingers!

i know that tone is in the fingers , but i want a guitar that sounds like that , Are Dimarzio pickups really good?
Quote by blackhorsemen
i know that tone is in the fingers , but i want a guitar that sounds like that , Are Dimarzio pickups really good?

It really depends on a lot of factors. Amps, effects, etc... You could but just about any ibanez and replace the stock pickups with a D-sonic or whatever other pickup Petrucci uses and get a similar sound, if all your other equipment will allow it.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
it would make more sense if you want us to recommend you an amp that sounds similar to john petrucci's :P
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
95 percent...then wtf is the point of having a good guitar with good pick ups, hmm?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Plug a 100 dollar squire into his system or something similar and you'll find out REAL quick how small a factor the guitar plays.
Quote by Silky Smooth
Plug a 100 dollar squire into his system or something similar and you'll find out REAL quick how small a factor the guitar plays.

What does that matter? This is majorly tone we're talking about. What I'm getting at is if you played a strat with single coiled pick ups on a mesa boogie f-50--ITS NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU A GRUNGY ZAKK WYLE TONE.

Sure, the amp is far more important than the guitar, but it doesn't take up 95 percent of the importance in your rig.

Get it?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Haha man you obviously have not played through many high gain amps. As most of you know when your running through monster gain and 15 rack processors the starting "tone" that comes from the guitar ends up sounding NOTHING like what it ends up being. You may not have as much output from a single coil as an active EMG but running through that kind of system are you going to notice a HUGE difference? Nope

Where you will notice the nuance of a guitar is on the clean channel.
Quote by Jinskee
What does that matter? This is majorly tone we're talking about. What I'm getting at is if you played a strat with single coiled pick ups on a mesa boogie f-50--ITS NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU A GRUNGY ZAKK WYLE TONE.

Sure, the amp is far more important than the guitar, but it doesn't take up 95 percent of the importance in your rig.

Get it?

Thats cause an F-50 is no where on par with Petrucci's rig...

you could plug a log with strings, and an emg-hz into petrucci's rig and still have great tone.

I'd say its about 90% tone... less than 5% guitar, and the rest is fingers..

Also note: I've been listening to the "dream theater" station on Pandora and I've found many bands who achieve a shockingly similar tone to Petrucci... so it is really possible.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Who said patrucci? I said Zakk Wyldes.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
FFS guys, he wants to know what guitar is like Petrucci's and all you can do is argue about amps. Give the guy a break, if you don't know of one don't post!

And no I don't know of any but seriously this is crap.
Quote by Jinskee
Who said patrucci? I said Zakk Wyldes.

thats totally pointless..

an F series wont give you a Zakk wylde tone any way...
Zakk Wylde's tone is mids based, and marshally..

a Mesa is typically very scooped, the complete opposite.

+

Any RG series will do a petrucci tone, since his sig was just a basswood body, 24 fret neck, and dimarzio humbuckers....

so buy an RG1570, and slap a D sonic and AIr norton and you'll have a close enough guitar
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
^Actually, now that I look at it...we havn't helped him out one bit.

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html

3-Mesa Boogie Roadkings
2-Mesa Boogie Lonestars
2 2x12 Mesa cabinets
2 4x12 Mesa cabinet

I guess he used alot of mesa's eh?

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/ebmm.html

Evidently, he has a sig guitar from ernie ball. I say...you COULD get a gutiar with dimarzios in em'.

Edit: "Pickups: Two Custom DiMarzio Humbucking - specially designed for John"

"Air Norton in neck position and Steve's Special in bridge position"

Yup.

Also, everone, let's stop fighting. I'll say I lost, but I really stand in on what I was saying and I could have cleared something up...but were totally killing his thread so...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Feb 5, 2007,
well at music shops his signature john petrucci guitar is cheaper than any ibanez.
except the problem is he has really expensive amps.
Quote by _Mayday_
Some people paint masterpieces, other say cunt alot.

Quote by WantToLearn
Hi... i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water