How do they sound? They are in the epiphone socal 50w and it seems like a nice amp (by nice I mean affordable) but I'd like to know a little idea on how it sounds. I know, go to GC and try it out but I feel uncomfortable trying out 400 amps all day and it's a 40 min drive from my house to GC. (little shops charge the MSRP and have zip selection. (one place only sells SS amps because they are "better." )

So, back to my questions, can someone tell me the difference between the EL-84's and the EL-34's? I own a crate with EL-84's and they are a warm distortion.
I've noticed that Marshall amps use EL-34's. Is the 34 kinda like a marshall gain?(I'm not stupid, I am 99% sure marshall tacks on an extra $1,000(like gibson) just for the name.
^ yeah, el84's are a little sweeter and less tight than el34's, basically. marshally, that's about right.

someone else can probably give you more specifics (I have an el84 amp, and a 6L6, I've cranked el34's once or twice, but obviously don't have the same amount of experience with them).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The classic EL34 sound is "Marshally" lots of mids, heavy crunch. but its very dependent on the associated equipment.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Quote by mattldm2003
The classic EL34 sound is "Marshally" lots of mids, heavy crunch. but its very dependent on the associated equipment.

Associated equipment:

I have a schecter with a mahogony(sp?) body, and a SH-4 JB through a tune-o-matic bridge(but is string thru body)
Speaker I am gonna use when I first buy it is gonna be the stock speaker on my Crate palomino then will build my own cab with a 1x12 celestion G12H

So, I should get a good marshall sound, just wanted to know how the 34 sounded.
also, anyone have any history on the SoCal.
Quote by Schecter1277
Associated equipment:

I have a schecter with a mahogony(sp?) body, and a SH-4 JB through a tune-o-matic bridge(but is string thru body)
Speaker I am gonna use when I first buy it is gonna be the stock speaker on my Crate palomino then will build my own cab with a 1x12 celestion G12H

So, I should get a good marshall sound, just wanted to know how the 34 sounded.
also, anyone have any history on the SoCal.

The JB is quite trebly, but sounds good with mahogany and the marshally tone, IMO. You might just have to dial back the treble on the amp a bit.

The greenback celestion sound sound good, depending on the cab.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
I think he meant more the components in the amplifier (output transformer and capacitors mainly).
But, yes, you should get a hint of that "British" sound out of your setup. EL34s are more midrangey than, say, a 6L6. The EL84 is similar, but, as Dave Mc says, they are sweeter and looser sounding. Their lower power rating will mean they break up easier than 34s, so you may have to crank the amp a bit more to get a similar sound.
I have noticed that the SH-4 is trebely, but the mehagony balances that out so I have a nice even bridge sound, which is why I only have a slight incling to get a new guitar.
However I would like an amp with more "guts." I want a more muddy sound like the marshall, but not the dirty sound like the valveking or XXX.
My guitar has plenty of harmonics, so I need a nice rhythm amp to balance that out.
My palomino is nice but has a bassy sound. Just want to add variety to my diet.