let both of these natural harmonics ring

B|------------------7*~-----------
G|--------5*~---------------------

At my friend's band practice i would do this with the volume knob all the way down. Then turn it up... they would be like "OW WTF IS THAT? STOP!" haha.. try it, it sounds odd. it might just be my guitar though.. not sure.
awwww...but i dont want to piss off my bandmates...

i like being friendly

edit: i think i might though
The B string's harmonic should be a semitone lower than the one on the G string, since it's tuned to a major third instead of a perfect fourth. On other strings they'd be the same note.
ah yes, the minor 2nd in pure harmonics... destruction to my ears.

one of the three intervals the catholic church officially defined as evil.
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Awesome.
I don't recognize dissonance btw.
That's why I like 20th classical music, with synaesthesia, they sound pretty good.
Quote by Pizzapotamus

Interesting. I'm finishing my first year as a music major... and I was oblivious to this. Where can I find more info?
I've done worse.
22nd fret on E with a Whammy like pitch shifter 2 octaves up.
Or, anything with a Digitech RP50 on Whammy 2octave up without the volume expression.

It hurts alot, me and my mate kept annoying another mate, it was funny, we'd play G chords and it'd sound like utter death and pain.

But I'll try the harmonics one to see how bad that is.
Quote by shizzybrane
Interesting. I'm finishing my first year as a music major... and I was oblivious to this. Where can I find more info?

Yep, but diminished fourth is the most famous one, otherwise known is the tritone or the devil's interval
Then there is the minor second
The other one is i think it minor ninth? I am not sure
Quote by shizzybrane

we learnt about that in music, might just do some and be pure evil hahahaha
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by cloud041089
let both of these natural harmonics ring

B|------------------7*~-----------
G|--------5*~---------------------

At my friend's band practice i would do this with the volume knob all the way down. Then turn it up... they would be like "OW WTF IS THAT? STOP!" haha.. try it, it sounds odd. it might just be my guitar though.. not sure.

Isn't this the way Herman Li does the elephant noise on some instructional video on weird noises?
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Quote by Octavianus
Isn't this the way Herman Li does the elephant noise on some instructional video on weird noises?

Not sure, I would think think that it would sound awful with this "minor 2nd." But I wasn't paying attention so I don't know.
Quote by shizzybrane

Actually, the only interval they banned was a flat fifth.
Quote by Pizzapotamus

Didn't they also ban composers from using the locrian mode?
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
herman li bascially just swiches the two, 5th fret b string and 7th fret g string. turn down the volume, hit them and then take your whammy bar and lift up as you turn the volume back up. and the minor second harmonic you got here isn't bad at all, i think vai used it on Erotic Nightmares
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
herman li does the elephant noise on the A + D strings, which when those harmonics are played are the same pitch, that one is on the G + B strings which will be at different intervals. so no, it isnt the herman li elephant noise.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Ah, I do that sometimes, but what I like to do is, as I violin it in, I push my tremolo in. Sounds like an elephant or something.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by winno
I've done worse.
22nd fret on E with a Whammy like pitch shifter 2 octaves up.
Or, anything with a Digitech RP50 on Whammy 2octave up without the volume expression.

It hurts alot, me and my mate kept annoying another mate, it was funny, we'd play G chords and it'd sound like utter death and pain.

Meh, try the 24th with a sampler. My friend has an 80s Boss Delay/Sampler (DSD-2), and the pitch changes immensly each way. Record the note on the sampler, and then play it back with really fast delay, and turn the pitch up. Makes a really annoying high-pitched siren type sound. You can also lower the pitch loads too. When he plays his bass through a Big Muff and then into that, you can lower the pitch so that it sounds like an engine. Creates some really weird sounds.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Invictious
Yep, but diminished fourth is the most famous one, otherwise known is the tritone or the devil's interval

thats the diminished fifth
^D'oh

Augmented fourth or Diminished Fifth, what the hell was I thinking. Rather, double diminished minor sixth, or double augmented major third.

Hmmm, I don't think parallel fifths are satanic, but they are can extremely boring. They were extensively used in the medieval ages and Gregorian chants.
that interval is a minor 2nd. They are a half step apart. That interval always creates tension and unrest in the listener. Try playing a minor 3rd right after to release. Its classic phrygien.
Quote by Invictious

a minor ninth is a minor second as far as im concerned, just played in a different octave, same notes tho

and a tritone is a diminished 5th, or an augmented 4th
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

the third "evil" interval, believe it or not, was the major 7th.

also, you guys know the C that people think stands for "common time"?

in actuality, the church used a circle to represet 3/4 time, which they almost always used, to represent the holy trinity. to represent 4/4 time they took a piece of it out.\

aren't catholics geniuses??? (they also didn't officially admit that galileo was right about the world being round until 1993. (yeah that's right, 1993. no typo))
DETHKLOK RULZ!
Quote by thetearsibleed
a minor ninth is a minor second as far as im concerned, just played in a different octave, same notes tho

and a tritone is a diminished 5th, or an augmented 4th

Yes I know that, I corrrected myself.
i also know that the minor ninth is just a minor second, but it sounds more insecure than a minor second.
it's possible one of the most insecure intervals out there.
If you listen to classical music, you can hear extensive use of that interval in this piece:

Prokofiev - Suggestion Diabolique

From Four Piano Pieces, op.4 no.4
Play a harmonic on the g string a fraction before the 3rd fret, the note is actually a quater tone, the note between E and F.......
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by Pizzapotamus
the third "evil" interval, believe it or not, was the major 7th.

also, you guys know the C that people think stands for "common time"?

in actuality, the church used a circle to represet 3/4 time, which they almost always used, to represent the holy trinity. to represent 4/4 time they took a piece of it out.\

aren't catholics geniuses??? (they also didn't officially admit that galileo was right about the world being round until 1993. (yeah that's right, 1993. no typo))

Nice!
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
i've seen somebody do this in a guitar solo.. i know where it WAS but the link is down, ah well it was alternating between those harmonics, it actually worked.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.